Beginner lessons from CO GMU 33 season 2

RCB

WKR
Folks,

I opened a thread earlier asking for some hunting advice in CO 2nd season GMU 33 for buck hunting. To show my gratefulness I thought I'd report back my experience and some lessons for beginners like myself.

Neither my friend nor I got a buck. This was only his first hunt, and my second year, but of course we had high hopes. In fact, we never even saw a buck on public land. In five days of hunting, we only saw a small forky on a golf course (we promptly headed to the adjacent BLM in the hope that he'd come our way, but no luck). This unit gives out 500 buck tags, and it is also an OTC bull unit, so as you can imagine it was very crowded. Everywhere we hunted, we generally saw multiple other hunters. So it was a challenging hunt - for us, anyway.

I'm still trying to process the lessons from this one. I go back and forth between opposing ideas. On the one hand, I would sometimes feel that we needed to go further and further back from the roads, away from hunting pressure. On the other hand, we only ever saw deer at lower elevations, at river bottoms, mostly on private, so I also often felt that the smartest way was to glass draws closer to towns, leading out to good private land ag. This strategy did give us our only decent encounter with deer within shooting distance - but it turned out to be a group of does. Perhaps bucks are less likely to keep this close to people once the hunting pressure is on? Or they are more dispersed in general? In any case, I felt like I was constantly changing my mind about this, and that bit of switching took away from our hunting time a bit.

We would often head out to an area, hike and glass for a few hours, and then head back to the truck to try out another area. Once again, my mind would go back and forth between opposing ideas: "we should slow down and glass another hour or two - maybe something will turn up" vs "we've covered this area and found nothing - let's move somewhere else". Both of us are hikers and backpackers of many years, so I think we find it hard to sit and glass for a long time. (We got better over time.) Perhaps buying a spotting scope would force me to spend more time looking closely. Anyway, we tended to go with the "let's go somewhere else" strategy. Looking back on it, this probably meant we spent too much time in the truck, moving from place to place, when we should have been hunting. But I'm still not sure what the right balance is between staying longer or moving along. I'm leaning toward something like this: ideally, find a big area that you can hunt all day. Cover miles. If no luck, move the next day. Half-day trips are probably fine too (moving in the middle of the day to a second spot), but hitting up 3+ places in a day probably means you're spending too much time in the truck. Let me know if I'm totally wrong! Maybe the answer depends on the animal and the land.

In my first year I had the great fortune of getting a small buck on opening morning - pure dumb luck, but I was also hunting a better unit (11/211). As a result I never got the opportunity to learn what a multi-day unsuccessful hunt does to the mind. Keeping up morale after barely seeing animals for multiple days is much harder than I thought it would be. This is something I have to think about and do a better job preparing for. A tipi or wall tent with a stove would sure be nice - we were pretty much the only campers we saw sleeping in little backpacking tents. On the other hand, a big comfy heated tent might be too tempting to return to.

As for avoiding hunting pressure, we probably should have made more effort to get a few miles away from the road. Again, I'm not sure this is always better than setting up near private land ag edges, but we should have switched it up with some longer hikes more often. Looking back on it, we did a few good hikes, but most of the time we were probably within a mile of some road access. That would have meant probably spending more time in NFS land, where there is more contiguous public land and miles to cover.

Any thoughts or feedback on these lessons would be much appreciated. My freezer is empty, so now it all comes down to my 4th season cow elk hunt next month. Fortunately that is a good unit (61) and I did manage to get one last year.

IdahoElk

WKR
In my experience you will find more deer in lower elevations but unless you have access to private land they will tend to be younger, smaller bucks. If your goal is to find a mature buck you're going to spend a lot more time pre scouting areas that are away from pressure that have the right habitat. Once you find a area that holds mature bucks you will start seeing other age bucks too giving you the option to fill your tag how ever you want.
Also being in prime habitat at first and last light when Deer tend to be moving the most is really important,just hiking in a few miles to get away from crowds won't pay off if you get to your spot at 9:30 or only hunt until 3.
Good Luck

OP
R

RCB

WKR
Many thanks. Fortunately I don't care in the slightest about getting a trophy buck. In fact next year I think I might go for a doe tag. Maybe it's because I'm a new hunter, but right now all I care about is getting the animal and having the meat.

smartweed

FNG
Smartest thing you're saying, without saying it, is you want to hunt and don't want to quit and you want to do it for your reasons. Keep those things going and you'll figure out what you need to do sooner rather than later. I think you know the answers to most of your questions already. Just mulling it over gives you answers. Good job posting a follow up, that's useful to anyone. Keep at it, you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

TexasCub

WKR
Don’t beat yourself up man, I too spent 4 days in 33 and we never saw a buck. I did several 2 mile loops off the road system and to be honest there weren’t even fresh tracks to be found. The snow we got each day helped determine fresh sign. The only place I found fresh sign was in the thick stuff and though we tried still hunting that on one day, the crunchy snow really made it near impossible. IMO the deer numbers were really bad, not seeing bucks in day light is one thing, but not seeing fresh tracks after fresh snow each day was really discouraging. Some say that area had a lot of winter kill last year, all I know is I won’t be hunting it again, I got that tag on a leftover draw and would turn it back in if I drew it again.

Thanks for the honest report. Congratulations for trying and being willing to learn! Those lessons won't go unrewarded unless you give up. So don't give up! You'll be successful. Just don't put a timeline on it. It will happen when it's your time. Just keep working.

Just read this. I think your comment about the tension between moving or going in further vs staying closer and spending more time glassing is a great observation and is definitely a fundamental strategy difference that there is no right answer for. The more time you can spend in a unit the more patterns emerge as to what type of strategy results in spotting more animals. I find that some areas and times are more amenable to just plunking down and spending hours glassing and other areas require more traveling and "still hunting" type of strategy. It depends on the density of the vegetation and what the animals patterns are that time of year. I think next time for sure if youre not spotting bucks on public land after a couple days, either moving to a significantly different elevation or portion of the unit is warranted and getting your eyes on different slope aspects or types of vegetation is important. Being in your glassing location at absolute first and last light is also a critical piece to spotting deer. Some areas bucks wont move until the final minutes of visible light and if you're walking down the mountain back to the truck, you'll never see em. Your thought about getting a spotting scope is a good one but spend time before season learning to use it....get an eyepatch and train your eyes.