Beginner Lightweight Tripod For Vortex HD Viper ???

jyatsko

FNG
Hey Guys,

I know there a bunch of threads on tripods but a lot of the posts are a few years old and new products are coming out every year.

I'm new to back-country bow-hunting and I was looking for some advice. I just purchased the Vortex Viper HD and need a lightweight tripod.

Every time I ask about equipment, I keep hearing "get the best you can afford". Well, you can't do that for every piece of equipment. I'm starting out with very little so having to buy a lot of equipment of the next couple months and frankly, I've allocated most of my extra $$$ on boots, sleeping bag, tent and backpack. Thank god I already have a bow!

Anyway, any suggestions on a good lightweight tripod for under say $70.00?

Thanks in Advance,
J

NDGuy

WKR
Following as I picked up a pair of 10x42 Talon HDs.

Scheels had them for $279.99 last weekend, couldn't pass it up!

Keep an eye on the classifieds here. Some pretty good deals here. You might look to find a vortex summit ss in ball or pan head (which ever you prefer) around $80 or so. I used a pan head version for a few years, it worked pretty damn good considering the price and they are pretty light too. I will also add that the vortex warranty covers tripods too, which might make it more attractive to you also.

JLH208

WKR
Love my summit ss-p but I thought I payed more than $80 can't remember. My local Sportsman's Warehouse carries Vanguard, they are reasonably priced for entry level tripods. Thought I saw one for $50 the other day I thought about getting it for the truck as it was a little heavier looking, idk how light/compact you need. Summit tripod is a little short for standing FYI I'm 5'10 and it's almost to short for my angled Razor 65 when standing. Other then it's been great, it's no outdoorsmans but I'd buy it again

- Jesse

dotman

WKR
Problem is it'll be hard to find a light weight tripod that is cheap, if you do it'll break fairly soon. Light weight and inexpensive do not go together. I would just find a moderately not too heavy decent brand tripod and use it till you can upgrade.

Mjm316

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Amazon. I quickly did a search for "carbon fiber tripod" and saw a few for under $100. As far as quaulity I have no idea. Check out the reviews on them and research away. They are out there. Good luck.

Tsnider

WKR
i have the vortex summit ss. put a befree fluid head on it, works great for my razor 65, as well as when the phoneskope it attached.

ElkNut1

WKR
jyatsko, I have a new in the box Summit SS Tripod (ball head) I'd sell you for 80.00 shipped! It will handle about any sized bino & will work best for a spotter that is 65mm or smaller. I have used an 85mm spotter on it but it's not the best for its weight! The tripod can handle the weight easily but the ball head doesn't support it like it does the 65mm. It extends out to 54-1/2" & closes to 13" & weighs just under 2# - It does pretty well & has a great warranty! PM me if interested! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

OP
J

jyatsko

FNG
sorry for the delayed response, I was expecting email notifications when someone responded....

I have the Vortex HD Viper 10x50

I am going to be betting this for my binos this summer. I have read pretty good things about it as well. No experience with it yet, but it seems like a good option in that price range, and it is lightweight.

Amazon.com : Slik Mini II 43.3IN. Compact 4 Section Tripod With Ball Head in Gun Metal Finish : Camera Tripod : Camera & PhotoQ

Thats a pretty sweet setup, especially for the price. I like the looks of it. It's perfect for a packing tripod, nice for sitting and glassing. That was the only drawback I saw with the summit ss in that it went too high. The fact that it has a medium height 1/3rd of it was never utilized, which also meant it was extra weight to carry for no reason at all. I can't remember a time I thought "I wish I could stand and glass right now" as opposed to sitting, unless I wanted a short look at something right out of the truck. Which I have a taller heavier one just for that. Plus 9 times outta 10 sitting lower to the ground presents a much more stable clearer picture (no matter what grade of glass you happen to be looking through) and helps buck that wind shake/vibration. That is, unless you hunt where there is no wind, and if that's the case I must know where this place you hunt is located.;)

jyatsko, I have a new in the box Summit SS Tripod (ball head) I'd sell you for 80.00 shipped! It will handle about any sized bino & will work best for a spotter that is 65mm or smaller. I have used an 85mm spotter on it but it's not the best for its weight! The tripod can handle the weight easily but the ball head doesn't support it like it does the 65mm. It extends out to 54-1/2" & closes to 13" & weighs just under 2# - It does pretty well & has a great warranty! PM me if interested! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul
This is a killer deal! I'd contact Elknut for sure if I decided to go this route.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Thats a pretty sweet setup, especially for the price. I like the looks of it. It's perfect for a packing tripod, nice for sitting and glassing. That was the only drawback I saw with the summit ss in that it went too high. The fact that it has a medium height 1/3rd of it was never utilized, which also meant it was extra weight to carry for no reason at all. I can't remember a time I thought "I wish I could stand and glass right now" as opposed to sitting, unless I wanted a short look at something right out of the truck. Which I have a taller heavier one just for that. Plus 9 times outta 10 sitting lower to the ground presents a much more stable clearer picture (no matter what grade of glass you happen to be looking through) and helps buck that wind shake/vibration. That is, unless you hunt where there is no wind, and if that's the case I must know where this place you hunt is located.;)
That's exactly why I want it, i always glass sitting, and 1.69 lbs is perfect for me. I spend a lot of time looking at gear, and this is the best thing I have found for my needs.

On another note if you find a windless spot let me know! Haha

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the Vanguard ESPOD CX 203 AP. Specs say 2.4 pounds. You can find it selling new for about $40 on ebay/amazon. I was really close to getting one, but now considering shelling out a little more for the KDC granite peak.