Beginner Photography

MN_Condor

FNG
I've been wondering, what is a decent, but still affordable camera? One that will hold up to some abuse, like rain and snow, freezing temps, crawling through the woods, paddling, etc. And once again, affordable, in case I don't like photography. I like the idea of capturing animals on film in the off season, as a form of practice for hunting. Just not sure if it's for me yet.

The best bet would be the Olympus E-M5 Mark II. Both the body and the lens are weatherproof. It comes with a fantastic, not a typical kit, lens. The range is equal to 28-300 in 35mm terms. The camera has 5 axis Image Stablization built in and it's easy to use and you can grow with it. Normal retail is $999.95, members here pay $929.99

I will be in the store 9-6 m-f and Saturday from 10-5:30

Feel free to reach out with any questions

Joel
516-217-1000

I would definitely listen to joel but my canon rebel hasn't let me down. Don't abuse it too much myself but photos are great as long as I can get what I want in focus

agtex42

FNG
There are a ton of options out there, photography can get expense quick! It all depends on what you’re trying to do, a “wildlife” setup for me would most likely consist of a crop sensor DSLR or mirrorless body with a minimum 300mm focal length but I’d prefer to be in the 650 range for any serious shooting from a distance. I’d highly encourage you to visit a store in person and rent a few different setups before pulling the trigger on anything!

I agree with agtex42..I started out buying a Nikon D5300 with a 18-140mm and bought into a full frame really fast after that. One place that I have found great to rent from if you do not have a local store is lensrental. They are pretty reasonable and have a good selection of all brands.

OP
M

MN_Condor

FNG
I saw the Canon Rebel T6, that's closer to my price range. I do like the idea of renting first though, I didn't know that was an option. That Olympus sounds nice, just a bit spendy for me right now. Thanks for your input everyone!

I saw the Canon Rebel T6, that's closer to my price range. I do like the idea of renting first though, I didn't know that was an option. That Olympus sounds nice, just a bit spendy for me right now. Thanks for your input everyone!

No problem. I can't speak for other brands, but with Nikon sometimes you can find a remanufactured camera thats quite a bit cheaper and has less warranty and can still work just as well. I bought a D810 that way and have not had any issues out of it other than some minor cosmetic stuff. Even some used can be great as well as some like to upgrade everytime a new camera model is released. And beware...it could end up in an expensive rabbit hole of a hobby, I know it was for me! 😂

Once you go away from the Olympus E-M5 Mark II and go to the Canon Rebel you lose the weatherproof and the awesome lens that comes with the Olympus, normally $599.99 on its own.

The current Rebel 2 lens kit is the T7. It comes with the 18-55 and 75-300. The 18-55 is stabilized, the 75-300 is not. That 2 lens kit is a very good choice and would normally be $499.99 with the 2 lenses and a case.

As a member here we will throw in 2 UV filters to protect the lenses, an extra battery and a 32 gig card for the same $499.99
They are in stock

The Olympus that is a step above the T7 is the E-M10 Mark 3, has 4 K video, 5 axis image stabilization built in, is smaller and comes with both the 14-42 and 40-150mm lenses. equal to 28mm-300mm in 35mm terms, are smaller then the canon kit lenses and are sharper. This kit is normally 699.99 and with the same extras we can do it for you for $669.99

Feel free to call me at 516-217-1000
Joel

mntnguide

WKR
The best bet would be the Olympus E-M5 Mark II. Both the body and the lens are weatherproof. It comes with a fantastic, not a typical kit, lens. The range is equal to 28-300 in 35mm terms. The camera has 5 axis Image Stablization built in and it's easy to use and you can grow with it. Normal retail is $999.95, members here pay $929.99

I will be in the store 9-6 m-f and Saturday from 10-5:30

Feel free to reach out with any questions

Joel
516-217-1000

Joel,
What is your thoughts on the E-M5 Mark III in comparison to the sony a6600 or even A7III. . Im looking to upgrade from my Canon SL2 to increase my ability with mainly photography but will also shoot some video as well. Im mainly using it in the backcountry while backpacking or horse packing, so the weatherproof, durability and size of the Olympus is a big interest, but at the same time the expanse of the Sony lenses and abilities has me debating back and forth. The in-body stabilization is also something I want. I live in western wyoming in a wildlife mecca, so using it for wildlife photography with a larger lens is also part of the plan, but the main purchase is to expand my abilities with photography in the backcountry including landscapes, scenes, and night time captures. Do you think I am looking at the right choices or would you suggest something else? appreciate any insight you have as I am looking to make a purchase and upgrade sooner than later.

For what you describe I would say it comes down to the Olympus and the Sony A7III. HUGE price difference between the 2 when you compare apples to apples.
The Image Stabilization in the Olympus is, by far, the best in the industry. It is a 5 axis that gives you 6.5 extra stops. The lens that comes with the Olympus, the 14-150mm (Acts like a 28-300mm in 35mm terms) is a great lens, not a "kit" lens and it's totally weatherproof. The Olympus focusing system is faster then the Sony as well and the 4K video is as good as the Sony.
The Sony is an excellent camera but a lot more $$. The Body of the Sony is more then the Olympus kit with everything you need. The comparable lens would be the 24-240, so slightly wider but not as much as much telephoto. The 6600 has no crop sensor lenses that are weatherproof, plus it's too expensive for the features it has.
Give me a call at 516-217-1000 to discuss. I am here m-f 9-6 and Saturday 10-5

Joel

Stalker69

WKR
As a member here we will throw in 2 UV filters to protect the lenses, an extra battery and a 32 gig.

Joel, you do this for the Nikon p1000 also ?

maj

FNG
EM5 suggestion is a good one. No knock against Nikon or Canon (I use a Nikon quite a bit), but there is a substantial size/weight difference between the m4/3 format of the Olympus and the larger APS or FF formats. Not so much for the camera bodies, but the lenses-- especially longer focal lengths. Full frame at 600mm or longer is great, but kind of requires a commitment.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
As a user of the micro 4/3 system Joel is recommending, I think he’s right on. The camera is lighter than other formats but the long lenses are much lighter and smaller. There is a small sacrifice in resolution but chances are you’ll never notice it.

Stalker69

WKR
It’s 6:30 mountain time and I believe you are two hours ahead of us, and are closed now. I was putting up a pool all day for the grandkids and let it slip my mind. I am sure your closed Monday, can I call you tue ?

Stalker69

WKR
If you see this before I call you. I got to thinking, will this be signature required when sent ? I can’t really let the wife know about it. And will have to try and find somewhere else to have it sent. Or possibly pick up at ups or who ever you ship with ?

Stalker69

WKR
Man I don’t know what to do, I have been reading reviews on this camera and they are for the most part all suggesting against buying it. I don’t really “ need” it, I won’t use it much, a couple times a year. But then again I don’t print photos, it will be used filming hunting trips, fishing and a little photos of wildlife. I will only hook the camera to the tv to watch the videos we take occasionally, when friends want to see them. And MAYBE post a video on YouTube, so I don’t need a pro quality camera by any means, but want a high zoom. I do want “ good” quality video and photos , not sure what these reviewers consider acceptable quality. Sorry about my hesitation to purchase, Joel .

Reviews are not always truthful as competitors put them up, people that have, what they think are better products, etc. I'm not talking about on the forums here, but on google and other public forums We have been selling the E-M5 series since they came out. Long Island has a HUGE birding community and Olympus is the camera of choice due to the weatherproofing, auto focus speed, reliability, sharpness of the lenses, size of the lenses . Many reviews are put up by people that for whatever reason do not want that product to succeed.

Last edited: