Beginner question

jfs82

WKR
I've got bear and deer tags, I want meat, regardless of species. As you hunt are you calling for bear or staying silent for the deer? Or somewhere in the middle calling for bear if you see fresh sign?

MeatBuck

WKR
Not to say that calling doesn't work. I've just never had success calling bears. That's been more of a coyote fox bobcat type thing in my experience.
I do keep a rabbit distress call in my pack. It is good for getting deer to stand up or move when glassing is slow. Could also be used when you know a buck/bear went into that brush but you'll probably never see him again if you don't do something about it. Hit the call and see what happens. Could get his attention and bring him back out for a shot.
Good luck this season.

OP
J

jfs82

WKR
Keep on your feet and watch for sign. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I need it! I originally wanted to get up to Siskiyou wilderness to get away from people but work stuff came up and Im losing two days, so outside of Covelo it is... with everyone else.

Azone

WKR
Stay mobile and do not get stuck on a spot just because it looks good. Sometimes your gonna have to get 3 plus miles from the road in good old Cali till you see deer that aren't running at the drop of a leaf. The most important thing to, is LEARN from your mistakes, you will make some as does every one. Dont get pist and throw in the towel. The days of a buck in every canyon in this state are long behind us, so dont get frustrated from not seeing anything ( I know you will, we all do!) I have shot at and managed to kill a few bucks in last minutes of closing day so stay positive and keep your head in the game the whole time. In my opinion hunting out here is best summed up as hours of boredom followed by 5 to 10 seconds of sheer chaos, dont get caught off guard. Good luck man!

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
All good points above, can't emphasize enough the point to slow down and look , listen... if you see a animal before it see's you, you've just stacked the odds in your favor. Patience is a virtue, use your glass, have fun and like said keep on guard.
Mike

Sawfish

Lil-Rokslider
Calling actually does work for both species. Whatever method you choose, do not give up until the last minute of the last day of the season. High noon can be a great time to hunt. Especially if the moon is full. Plenty of time for a leisurely lunch after the season closes.

I read in a blacktail book if your not replacing your pants from worn out knees about every second or third season your missing deer. What does that mean, look before you move then after you’ve looked and before you move look again from a different angle if your sitting kneel then glass then stand then glass then move. They can be hard to spot in a very small amount of brush or canopy overhang. And remember you don’t have to look for deer just parts of them. A back or stomach line, leg, or ear can be pretty easy to train your brain to find then you just have to attach the rest of him to that part...

Good luck

I’ll echo what sawfish said, most of the time you hear first and last light but in this hot nasty (confused) state we’re hunting I’ve shot more bucks going to water (I assume) than at first or last light. It’s nice to be able to rearrange your life around the weather and moon cycles during the small window we have to pursue deer but, my life seems to allow me to hunt during the hottest fullest moon cycle. So about the time your ready to pack it in and hit the shade until the evening hunt, take a big drink and sit still. They’ll get up or start to fidget.

OP
J

jfs82

WKR
I’ll echo what sawfish said, most of the time you hear first and last light but in this hot nasty (confused) state we’re hunting I’ve shot more bucks going to water (I assume) than at first or last light. It’s nice to be able to rearrange your life around the weather and moon cycles during the small window we have to pursue deer but, my life seems to allow me to hunt during the hottest fullest moon cycle. So about the time your ready to pack it in and hit the shade until the evening hunt, take a big drink and sit still. They’ll get up or start to fidget.
Thanks, Im planning on being out all day, every day Im in the forest, no heading back to camp til dark. I want the solitude as much as the meat.

MeatBuck

WKR
Think of a deers life as being a day off spent lounging on the couch. Eventually your gonna have to get up to go take a piss and then hit the fridge for a snack or drink. Maybe somebody knocks on the door and you've gotta get up to see who it is. Or a loud noise has you up and looking out a window. I know I'm not waiting for sunset or sunrise to get up and do those things. Neither is a deer, only his couch is this whole brush covered state and his doors/windows are always open.

BigAl!

WKR
Think of a deers life as being a day off spent lounging on the couch. Eventually your gonna have to get up to go take a piss and then hit the fridge for a snack or drink. Maybe somebody knocks on the door and you've gotta get up to see who it is. Or a loud noise has you up and looking out a window. I know I'm not waiting for sunset or sunrise to get up and do those things. Neither is a deer, only his couch is this whole brush covered state and his doors/windows are always open.
Excellent analogy. I got a good chuckle out of it too.

2 more points for mid day deer. 2:30pm caught a group moving back to bed after afternoon feed and water resulted in 2 in the ground.