Beginner reloading press/kit?

So I am just starting reloading but I’ve read a ton and will read more. I have a kind of mentor to help, and I am already hooked so I will want to upgrade supplies quickly I’m sure. With that being said to want to know what the hide thinks about for a first press or kit that will allow me to get started but with the idea that I’ll want better/nicer equipment fairly quickly?

Ive seen a lot of suggestions for a Forster coax, but have also seen they’re almost impossible to get. Also besides the press, is there a kit out there that will allow me to be content with its contents and not feel like I need to upgrade them all very quickly? All suggestions and advice is welcomed. Thanks!

Also besides the press, is there a kit out there that will allow me to be content with its contents and not feel like I need to upgrade them all very quickly?

There might be one but I'm not aware of it. In general you can get a kit that will allow you to load good ammo just fine, it'll just be slow and tedious.

You can get a single stage press that is sufficient forever without spending a fortune up front. Lee classic cast, RCBS rock chucker, MEC marksman, etc.

OP
T
There might be one but I'm not aware of it. In general you can get a kit that will allow you to load good ammo just fine, it'll just be slow and tedious.

You can get a single stage press that is sufficient forever without spending a fortune up front. Lee classic cast, RCBS rock chucker, MEC marksman, etc.

Rebel or rock chucker is my plan.... I just don’t know if I should get the kit or build my own kit with upgraded pieces

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
I'd piece it together with the stuff that you want. Some of the RCBS kits are decent but it still contains stuff that you'd want to upgrade or add.

Trippy

Lil-Rokslider
Midway and Brownell's have the Marksman for about $200. I'd take that if you don't want to wait for the Forster. I'm happy with my Big Boss for single stage and no plans to switch.

I wouldn't buy a kit, especially if you know you'll upgrade stuff quick. Just pissing money away doing that unless you're in a rush to get started.

HuntnPack

WKR
I’d start piecing components together.
RCBS Rebel press & Chargemaster lite
to start with. Make a list of have to have
Accessories & hand tools to get the job done & start picking up Good Quality items.

For Example:;

Some quality items I like also are:
21st Century Hand priming tool
21st Century Flash hole tool
Area 419 alum. Loading block
Area 419 powder funnel
Lyman Universal case prep set.
Mitutoyo Electronic calipers

several items to consider also:
Reloading Dies
Decapping Die
Overall length gage & cartridge
Tumbler & media
Case trimmer
Bump gage with inserts & comparator inserts
Shell holders
Case Lube & pad
Neck lube
Primer tray

I was able to pick up most of the items listed recently within a couple months.

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider
There is a set of RCBS gear in the classifieds that would be a good start for anyone. Press, scale, powder measure, trickler. It's pretty close to what I started with. There is always an opportunity to add on more or upgrade later.

OP
T
There is a set of RCBS gear in the classifieds that would be a good start for anyone. Press, scale, powder measure, trickler. It's pretty close to what I started with. There is always an opportunity to add on more or upgrade later.

I don’t see it, do you have a link? Or what is the thread name

OP
T
I’m looking at the Redding Type S 2 die set…. But since I’m green, what is that set doing for my that the most basics rcbs die set is not doing?

Trippy

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking at the Redding Type S 2 die set…. But since I’m green, what is that set doing for my that the most basics rcbs die set is not doing?
The Type S sizing die allows you to use a bushing to set the neck diameter vs having to use the SAAMI spec for a given cartridge with a RCBS sizer. This helps reduce the amount of working you do to the brass which should improve it's lifespan and possibly have better results on target (more consistent groups). With the Type S, you select a bushing that creates a neck OD around .001-.002" smaller than a loaded round. With a SAAMI spec sizer, you may end up with an OD around .010" smaller.

I'd suggest a full length sizer, skip the neck sizing dies if you were thinking of them.

EVO6

Lil-Rokslider
I agree, can’t go wrong with a beginner rock chucker. Gather information as your doing now and buy equipment piece by piece that you like. I think you will be happy in the end without upgrading a majority of the kit.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I started with the rock chucker supreme, still use a moderate amount of it. There are a pile of other odds/ends to gather up as to do it better/easier. I still throw a bulk charge and hand trickle the rest, keep thinking an automated one will be nice but aside from the really expensive ones I don't like the reviews. Sounds like RCBS won't stand behind the charge master when it dies, etc.

I hadn't reloaded in over a year but have been trying to prep/reload a bunch of stuff to restock and get ready for more shooting with the kids. My lube pad had gotten crushed in a move and caused me to come out of my dated hole on the subject of case lube, decided to try the DIY formula of 10:1 99% rubbing alcohol and lanolin oil in a spray bottle, I like it, it is easy and works well imho. This is assuming you have a tumbler, I just toss the sized cases with the lube residue in my media tumbler (see I am dated, not using SS in a wet tumbler :p ) and it cleans them up nicely.

dla

WKR
Lee Classic Turret - the best bang for the $. The LCT is a high quality turret press - just a better mousetrap. I craigslisted my RockChucker after using an LCT for a week.

In addition:
  • MTM 750gr digital scale, aaa batteries (~$30)
  • Lyman 60gr check weight set
  • Calipers (+/- .001")
  • Chamfer/debur tool
  • Lee primer pocket cleaner
  • Lee Deluxe Powder dispenser ( I've been using one for a year and really like it - and the mount)
  • An LCT 4 hole toolhead for each caliber you load.
  • I strongly suggest a strong mount for the press - none of edge of the bench stuff (see link)
  • A cheap trickler if you plan on fiddling with stupid powders like 800x.

Last edited:

Elk300win

FNG
Any reloading "kit" you buy will come with all the basics you need to start reloading. I suggest starting out with any reloading kit that is accessible to you and making adjustments based on your needs. Honestly and of my opinion the best way to start reloading is using and learning the basics and upgrading per your needs. You wont know what you need or want until you have experienced the reloading process and or shoot, chronograph your loads.

I have used the same RCBS Rock Chucker press for decades. I recently got a Rebel as a backup because RC's are hard to find these days. I like the fact that RCBS has a steel bushing for the die, instead of just threading the cast iron. For dies, either RCBS or Redding full length sizer. I much prefer the RCBS competition seater--fast, easily adjustable for different ogives, etc. I have Midway wooden brass holders, but the plastic ones work OK, just a sloppy fit for some odd brass diameters. Get a primer pocket brush and a good powder measure (I have a Redding with micrometer adjustment) and scales. I am happy with the non-digital RCBS 10-10 that I have used for decades, and once in a while have checked it for accuracy with the Lyman weights. I am on the same bottle of Lyman lube I got years ago. You can use Harbor Freight vernier calipers and someone's case trimmer. You will have to get the accessories for that brand of trimmer; I use Forster. Important to me is safety when seating primers, so I have always used the Lee Auto Prime, never the press that gives almost no "feel" for the tightness of the primer in the brass pocket. Get a powder funnel for filling cases, and a regular small funnel for putting the powder back into the jug. A powder trickler is valuable; I weigh every charge.