Beginner Routine Recommendations?

Ferris

FNG
I'm sure there are some other threads on this, but I just picked up my first bow and expect a crash course this September chasing Elk.

I went to my local shop and was able to get some initial feedback on shooting/setup/etc. I picked up a Hoyt PowerMax at 70#, I have my bow set to 57# right now, which is feels easy to draw back. I’m thinking of increasing the draw weight.
I've been shooting a few arrows (10-20 at 10yds) every night when I get home. I was just curious if anyone had things they wished they did from the beginning or if I'm on the right path for getting dialed in for September.

I’ll be hunting thick timber so I’m not really expecting a shot at 40yards…

Thanks!

ZDR

WKR
I just picked up the compound in December after shooting trad for 20+yrs. I watched the 'school of nock' series on you tube by John Dudley and it really helped me get decent shooting form.

wayoh22

WKR
+1 on the School of Nock, but perfect practice makes perfect. Some things I wish I had known/done when I started was to have a teacher. You really can't put a price on that. Maybe working with your local shop getting lessons if they do that. I also wish I had tried out different releases. Not sure what release you're working with but if I could do it all over again, I would have started with a back tension release. It really teaches you to pull through your shots and shows every mistake you make. You'll never learn without failure. And lastly having a support system I think is vital. Friend or family member...someone that's willing to hold you accountable and give you honest feedback.

I also think you need to be realistic in your goals here. Is it doable? Absolutely; however, seems very unrealistic you're going to be very proficient in time for September. IMO first and foremost you need to have a solid base which you can build upon. Get your form down, create a routine for your shot. (draw back, anchor, center your peep, level your bubble, etc...Whatever it may be) Then you'd need to work on distance shots. You say you're shooting 10-20 arrows at 10yds every night but that's not a realistic scenario. You have to account for shots you'll actually be taking (downhill, uphill, through trees...etc and at larger distances.) You need to practice shooting at angles.

Also, you say the bow was setup at #70 but you turned it down to #57 right now...I'm assuming your shop sighted you in as well but your arrow is going to fly different at #57 vs #70. This is something you need to take into account. Nothing wrong with practicing at a lighter weight but just something to be mindful as September comes closer.

Really don't mean to sound like a negative nelly here, but this is the reality I think you're faced with with such a short amount of time. Hope this helps!

OP
Ferris

Ferris

FNG
I just picked up the compound in December after shooting trad for 20+yrs. I watched the 'school of nock' series on you tube by John Dudley and it really helped me get decent shooting form.

Yep, absolutely. I've been listening to the podcasts on my way to work. I need to check out some of the videos.

+1 on the School of Nock, but perfect practice makes perfect. Some things I wish I had known/done when I started was to have a teacher. You really can't put a price on that. Maybe working with your local shop getting lessons if they do that. I also wish I had tried out different releases. Not sure what release you're working with but if I could do it all over again, I would have started with a back tension release. It really teaches you to pull through your shots and shows every mistake you make. You'll never learn without failure. And lastly having a support system I think is vital. Friend or family member...someone that's willing to hold you accountable and give you honest feedback.

I also think you need to be realistic in your goals here. Is it doable? Absolutely; however, seems very unrealistic you're going to be very proficient in time for September. IMO first and foremost you need to have a solid base which you can build upon. Get your form down, create a routine for your shot. (draw back, anchor, center your peep, level your bubble, etc...Whatever it may be) Then you'd need to work on distance shots. You say you're shooting 10-20 arrows at 10yds every night but that's not a realistic scenario. You have to account for shots you'll actually be taking (downhill, uphill, through trees...etc and at larger distances.) You need to practice shooting at angles.

Also, you say the bow was setup at #70 but you turned it down to #57 right now...I'm assuming your shop sighted you in as well but your arrow is going to fly different at #57 vs #70. This is something you need to take into account. Nothing wrong with practicing at a lighter weight but just something to be mindful as September comes closer.

Really don't mean to sound like a negative nelly here, but this is the reality I think you're faced with with such a short amount of time. Hope this helps!

No worries, all good feedback. I was hoping to pick up a compound earlier this spring/summer, but the original shop I was going to go to kind of hosed me. I'm managing my expectations for Sept, all in all it'll be a good experience getting out in the rut and getting a feel for things.

I'm a Minnesota transplant living in Washington, so it's challenging finding a mentor out here. Hopefully, I'll be able to connect with someone at a WA BHA event when they kick back up. The shop recommended initial lessons from someone at their range, so I'll likely go that route this weekend. Like you said, develop a solid foundation and carry that over into my practice.

The shop recommended an easy caliper release that I went with, I wish I would have pushed back more and gone with the back tension release. I saw/heard that they were helpful with proper shooting form from Nock On. I ended up upgrading the sights/quiver off the bat so I ate up my budget a bit.

Appreciate the feedback!

MNman

FNG
First congrats on your new bow! Enjoy the elk hunt and BE honest with your shot distance up front. Remember this is FUN. Like anything, there will be ups and downs. But I only wish the below was available when I started.

1) school of nock
2) school of nock
3) school of nock

lastly,I agree above that a teacher will be HUGE, but not everyone has one near by. Instead have someone video you. If you need someone to help you review it, send me a dm and I’ll give you my number.
Good luck man!

OP
Ferris

Ferris

FNG
@MNman For sure, I don't really expect to shoot out that far. I'll be hunting thick timber on the coast so I'm not expecting a shot past 20yds unless I stumble on something in a clear cut. Regardless, I'm not going to take a shot unless I'm comfortable with it.

Appreciate the offer, I will PM you if I'm struggling. Called the shop yesterday and hoping to get a quick lesson ASAP.

ZDR

WKR
Good thinking on not taking the shot if youre not comfortable with it...one thing I learned on Rokslide archery forum was what is my true effective range. After participating in the cold bow challenge this spring, it really made me re-think what is my effective range and my practice routines. I start every morning by shooting 1 arrow and then I put the bow away until later in the evening. Focus is on doing everything perfect. Unlike the CBC, I do it from different yardages but the concept is the same - one arrow no practice before hand.

Beendare

WKR
Practice shooting one arrow on 3D animals in the woods at different angles, kneeling etc....one shot for all the marbles. You will be lucky to get more than one shot....so standing on flat ground at exact 20,30,40 yd distances helps with form but does not mimic a shot on game.

Shoot at a big paper bag if you don't have 3D targets. A local 3D tourney will give you a true determination on what your real effective range is......try it...it just might humble you.

Lastly, the form vids are excellent....but they don't help you develop a realistic shot on game. YOU have to develop a practice routine that gets you to anchor and holding perfect form quickly, lock on a spot and make a good quick shot....animals don't stand around forever waiting for you to squeeze off an arrow.

I've seen guys taking time to settle into their anchor.....and the window for a shot is passed...too late. "I didn't have a shot" is what they said....ugh, no, you DID have a shot...but you dinked around too long.

______

I'm also a beginner and got my first bow as a present so I took some archery classes to feel more comfortable with a bow but still need to learn better

qwerksc

WKR
Shoot a lot, become a better archer. Listen to Levi Morgan, Tim Gillingham, Dave Cousins, Jesse Broadwater. Big Greg Poole Bowjunky media. And...Aron Snyder. Nock on is great. Shoot more. Geek out on Archery.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
20 yards by September maybe, but you need to shoot 40 arrows per day including some practice at 30-40 yards. With one month to go, you need to practice at the weight you will hunt. My bow is set at 60. You don't have to shoot 70#'s for elk at reasonable distances.

Expandables? Shoot with the practice head. If shooting fixed, search forum for tuning.

As stated, practice at odd angles, sitting, kneeling, etc. At 20 yards, mistakes are magnified like longer distances but they can still bite you. Watch videos of guys shooting right over the back of an elk at 10 yards.

If you have a friend who shoots, play horse. Call a shot and practice some unknown distance where you have land marks that are known yardages for reference.

OP
Ferris

Ferris

FNG
Appreciate the feedback all. Getting some lessons tomorrow morning and then planning on dialing things in prior to Sept!

hewittja

FNG
I am quite new to archery as well but I have found the school of nock videos to be very helpful. I also found setting up a target close to things you would prefer to avoid (i.e. trees, rocks etc.) helps with forcing myself to be careful and to increase the pressure (arrows are expensive and spending ten minutes digging one out of a stump is not my favourite activity). Might be a gimmick but seems to help me..

I agree with others. The nock on series on YouTube has really helped me and my shooting!
I’m running his arrows with my RX-4 turbo. Love the setup. Just cant seem to get used to the nock 2 it release.

OP
Ferris

Ferris

FNG
@qwerksc Yep, 100%. Lessons helped a ton and helped me formulate a rhythm for getting a good shot off. I've gotten my groupings pretty consistent at 10yds. I've been shooting daily in my backyard for the most part. Just need to dial things out a bit further in case.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, super helpful. Looking forward to Sept.