beginner ?s re packing out game

kbob

FNG
hi folks,
As an Eastern whitetail hunter I've never packed out an animal - just dragged them out. Now that I'm older and have heard of multiple hunters die dragging deer I believe it would be better for my health to quarter and pack them out in small loads. unfortunately I don't have, and wont buy, an ATV and some of the places I go wont accommodate one (or a deer cart) anyway.

So are there any good videos or instruction guides to getting an animal out efficiently and safely. I have butchered my own deer all my life so I'm good with quartering and getting out backstraps and tenderloins at my house but how about in the woods?

Also any info on packs/frames and game bags and the whole process would be greatly appreciated.

Bulldawg

WKR
Hunting whitetail I would venture to say your aren't packing super far so I would recommend finding a packframe that is comfortable, doesn't need to be super expensive. I'd leave it in the truck until I killed something, hike to the truck get it then hike to the deer and load it up and you could most likely carry it out in one shot if you quarter it out. Randy newberg has a good video out there on the gutless method and if you have experience cutting up animals it's real simple and a whitetail could be done in 30-45 minutes. Basically, it's cutting the hindquarters off, put in a game bag, take the front quarter off put in a game bag, then then straps and tenders and put those in a bag, the the opposite side. Unless you are hunting giant Saskatchewan whitetail I would imagine 4 quarters straps and scraps would probably weigh less than 80 pounds.

Part of hauling out is being prepared to do it as clean and quick as possible.

I carry my qtr bags and a small tarp to lay meat on once cut off. If on slopes I hang the meat from small rope I pack. If a long hike out is necessary I hang them high enough to keep from bears, cats, wolves and yotes, all present in my areas.

The Kifaru Duplex frame is what I will use now and will sell my old meat pack frame I used to use. Many Kifaru bags have capability to haul meat in them or a load shelf under them or even just lower delta straps as well.

I lived in Wis and hunted white tail and my back is toast, but I can still haul both white tail rears in one hike. You should just remember to keep them all safe and clean.

Here is my process:
Kill, photos, prep area. Get tarp out, or get ropes ready
I too quit gutting and use the gutless method, so much faster and cleaner and super easy and I haven't had to bone out yet either, that is another process you may need as you could get a white tail all in one load with not bones in the qtrs.

I cut down the back cause my meat goes on the tarp, others use the hide.
I start with frt qtr, rear qtr from same side and then back strap and tender loin, then rib meat cut off with ribs left in tact and neck meat scavaged off

turn it over repeat for other side

Everything goes on tarp or if flies are present in meat bags instantly to keep flies off and meat clean. Either way clean meat for me starts at the kill site. I cant tell you how many animals in the local cooler look like they were drug thru the dirst and hauled out that way- this is just stupid to me.

Tons of great vids to get you going. Your instinct will kick in and you will be fine. Just be prepared for keeping meat clean and safe from the get go. I just don't like using the animals hide due to hair. I like a tarp, and only use (for elk) a small 48"x60" and it hold everything from each side with room to spare

DWinVA

WKR
I've been packing quartered whitetails out here in VA for several years (phone check in first). At first the gutless quartering of deer was to practice for elk but now I much prefer it over dragging. I still may do a short drag and haul one home to the garage if it all has to be done in the dark but so far this year I've quartered and packed all 4 doe I've killed.

My process is very similar to what mfllood3800 typed above. I always have my EXO 3500 with me and in that is my kill kit with game bags, Kifaru meat bags, Havalon and cordage to hang quarters with. I also carry several trash bags to lay meat on or use for whatever. I get all of this stuff were it's easy to get to. I start by removing all 4 legs at the knee with the all purpose knife I carry. Next I use the Havalon to slice down the backbone, inside-out and skin the first side down to the belly line. I usually remove the front shoulder with as much neck & rid meat as possible. I hang this then remove the backstrap which goes straight into a small game bag. I start the rear quarter by freeing it up along the backbone then remove it from the inner side being carefull of the guts that try to poke through. I hang the rear quarter. Last thing on the first side is to get the inner loins and any scrap meat I missed. Roll over being carefull not to get dirt and leaves on the partially exposed backstrap and repeat on the other side. I also take the heart out between the ribs if it's not damaged.

Once everything is removed I place it all in TAG bags then into the Kifaru meat bags or trash bags to keep blood off my pack the strap it to my pack and hike out. I get better and faster with everyone I do and I really don't miss the gutting process.

The 2 videos that helped me the most are the one on Elk101 and a series done my Jay Scott & Chris Roe.

Good luck and God Bless.

Jmock97

Lil-Rokslider
I personally use a Kifaru duplex for my pack frame but any pack frame will work. My game bag are caribou Muley meat on the bone bags. If I am just quartering and packing out right away I will use 2 bags one for the rear quarters and the second for the fronts and loins. This year I weighed a 1 1/5 year old buck and all 4 quarters and loins with head was 90lb. Hunting Backcountry Deer - The Gutless Method - YouTube You also want to keep the majority of the weight tight to your back and in between your shoulders.

Felix40

WKR
I've carried deer out whole and quartered but I'm still refining the process a little. For quartering here are a few things I think will help you.

1. Bring a game bag for each quarter and one for the ribs+backstraps/tenderloins. So that's 5 bags all similar sized. As you remove quarters just put them in bags to keep them clean.

2. Before removing quarters cut the lower legs off. It saves a marginal amount of weight but makes them fit in a pack better.

3. Do one side at a time.

I can see how using a small tarp to keep things clean might be nice but I just lay stuff on my pack for the most part to keep it out of the dirt.

Whether skinning from the back or the belly you can use the skin to put meat on and keep it clean.
Good game bags are just as helpful in the east as in the west. I prefer TAG bags.
When hunting whitetail I am still in the mountains so I try to work on the down hill side....easier on the back and knees.
Whitetail are easier to move around than elk, work them accordingly.
For whitetail I typically use the Kifaru Bikini frame and Tahr bag. Plenty big enough for hauling one out and carrying day gear, sucks down to practically nothing when empty. I don't usually hunt from a tree stand.

OP
K

kbob

FNG
hey thanks a lot folks - great info!
the randy newburg vid is excellent. now if there is a decent vid about how to load the pack I'm set. Seeing as how I'm no spring chicken and generally a half mile from a car or road I think 2 smaller loads would get me there in good shape and wont take too long.

will follow up on the pack stuff. Is a place like REI a good source for Packs/frames or are the backpacking packs/frames different from hunting specific models?

go to Kifaru Intl website or even the classified section on here. I think I saw a bikini frame several pages in with one for just over $200. Perfect for deer. Rei sells packs but for hunting specific go with Kifaru and preserve your back

the randy newburg vid is excellent. now if there is a decent vid about how to load the pack I'm set. Seeing as how I'm no spring chicken and generally a half mile from a car or road I think 2 smaller loads would get me there in good shape and wont take too long.

will follow up on the pack stuff. Is a place like REI a good source for Packs/frames or are the backpacking packs/frames different from hunting specific models?

REI has a pack loading diagram that shows you how you ideally want the weight distributed. Having said that typically I have very little, if anything, in the bottom of the pack, and try to keep the top of the pack light as well when hauling meat.
REI has a couple of packs that will suffice for the "rigors of hunting", but quite frankly none that I have tried have lasted more than a couple of years.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Make sure you know your state laws on what you can cut off in the field. Until a couple years(in Wisconsin) ago we had to leave the deer whole(gutted out only) until it was registered.

Northern
I grew up in So wisc and hunted up in Tomahawk area and we always left them whole, I never knew why, but the hide on that long (2 week season) made a difference in the meat taste for sure. Could you at least skin them and hang em, back before the law was changed?

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
Northern
I grew up in So wisc and hunted up in Tomahawk area and we always left them whole, I never knew why, but the hide on that long (2 week season) made a difference in the meat taste for sure. Could you at least skin them and hang em, back before the law was changed?

The hide had to be intact. If it was a warm season we would register the deer and skin and process. If it was cool or cold a lot of people left them to hang for a week(9 day season). The only problem,if it was cold, the hide froze on. I don't think it hurt the taste.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've never needed game bags for whitetails. I put mine in heavy duty trash bags and haul them out. Heck, it'll be in the cooler on ice in less than an hour after I kill it.

You can haul out a whitetail in just about any good hiking backpack.

texag10

WKR

I don't know that I'd trust a pack from REI. I've been using a Mammut trion guide pack for a few years and after packing out a small pig in one go I am freaking done with it. Any weight over 30lbs and the frame (which is pretty substantial by backpacking standards) sags and the belt will not effectively transfer the load to your hips without being painfully tight. You can definitely deal with it for a few miles, but if you have the budget I'd get a nice pack.

A seek outside pack would be worth looking into alongside kifaru and exo.