Beginner Set Up

Hey everyone, I’ve been looking to getting into photography/videoing hunts for a while now. If you had $1000, a bit more if it makes a big difference, what camera and lens set up should I be looking at? Are the bundles a decent option to get? I don’t really want to buy cheap crap and have to sell and upgrade in a year but also don’t really want to drop $3000 on a set up just yet. I see Camera Land likes the Olympus M5 Mark ll, any other suggestions? Thanks for the help!

The thing you need to decide is, do you want something that is weatherproof? If that is important, then the only way to stay in your budget with a weatherproof camera and lens is the Olympus. If not then the Canon M50 2 lens kit is an excellent choice as is the Olympus E-M10 mark III in the 3 lens kit, as well as the Sony A6000 2 lens kit.
Feel free to call me to discuss the key features on all the options in your price range

OP
ReddingArcher
Thanks for the reply, weatherproof would definitely be nice. I’m leaning towards the Olympus. Thanks!

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought an Olympus through CameraLand. So far I love it and am happy with my purchase.
I should add that this was my first “good camera” purchase. I called Joel and told him what I wanted and he directed me to the Olympus. CameraLand won’t show bias toward one brand over another. I’ve done business with them before for a riflescope so I knew they would be good when it came to calling in to get a good recommendation and price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an A6000 among a few other cameras. I started with it and still use it often due to its capabilities. It’s a great little camera. I’m actually thinking of posting it in the classifieds cause I’d like to upgrade to an A7iii or new canon. Pm me if you’d like any details on it.

OP
ReddingArcher
I have an A6000 among a few other cameras. I started with it and still use it often due to its capabilities. It’s a great little camera. I’m actually thinking of posting it in the classifieds cause I’d like to upgrade to an A7iii or new canon. Pm me if you’d like any details on it.

I’ll definitely check that camera out and let you know of any questions I have, thanks!!

Will other Olympus lenses work with the M5 Mark II? I have an older Olympus E-500 with a ZUIKO 40-150. Thanks in advance.

[/QUOTE]
The thing you need to decide is, do you want something that is weatherproof? If that is important, then the only way to stay in your budget with a weatherproof camera and lens is the Olympus. If not then the Canon M50 2 lens kit is an excellent choice as is the Olympus E-M10 mark III in the 3 lens kit, as well as the Sony A6000 2 lens kit.
Feel free to call me to discuss the key features on all the options in your price range

There is an adapter available BUT the kit comes with the 14-150 and it is a much sharper lens thewn the old one. No reason to spend the money for the adapter

There is an adapter available BUT the kit comes with the 14-150 and it is a much sharper lens thewn the old one. No reason to spend the money for the adapter
I've been using the Olympus 14-150mm lens for about 9 years. I had one of the original ones with an Olympus EPL-2 and it was the only lens I owned for ages. For a hunter, the convenience of wide-angle and telephoto in the one, fairly small lens, is fantastic. I've since upgraded to an Olympus OMD EM1 Mkii, but still use this lens.

Just last year, I had my camera on a tripod while filming and a strong gust of wind blew it over. The housing of the lens broke where it attaches to the camera. I sent it back to Olympus Australia and they said it would take forever to repair due to needing old parts from Japan, so they sold me a re-furbished newer version of the lens for a good price.

There are times I want a bit more speed out of a lens, or longer legs for sure, but it's still my 'go to' lens for most hunting applications; particularly bowhunting, where you might want photos and video from a fair way off, but need wider angle when getting closer.

I've been using the Olympus 14-150mm lens for about 9 years. I had one of the original ones with an Olympus EPL-2 and it was the only lens I owned for ages. For a hunter, the convenience of wide-angle and telephoto in the one, fairly small lens, is fantastic. I've since upgraded to an Olympus OMD EM1 Mkii, but still use this lens.

Just last year, I had my camera on a tripod while filming and a strong gust of wind blew it over. The housing of the lens broke where it attaches to the camera. I sent it back to Olympus Australia and they said it would take forever to repair due to needing old parts from Japan, so they sold me a re-furbished newer version of the lens for a good price.

There are times I want a bit more speed out of a lens, or longer legs for sure, but it's still my 'go to' lens for most hunting applications; particularly bowhunting, where you might want photos and video from a fair way off, but need wider angle when getting closer.
Thanks for the tip.