Beginner Solo Shelter System

OP
W

Wapiti16

FNG
Thanks to everyone for the responses so far. It has all been really helpful.

I’m still looking, but so far I am really attracted to the SO Silex and Silvertip. The Silex has some really nice, innovative features, and I assume it would be a “better” tent for solo backpacking. The Silvertip on the other hand is larger and seems more comfortable, which is important to me, plus gives me more options in the future for another person, dog, more gear, etc. I’m sure both would serve me great, but I will have to continue to weigh them both out to decide. Unfortunately I can’t see them in person.

I plan to run some kind of nest or inner tent either way I go; living here in the Deep South, I’m used to swarms of mosquitoes and other bugs, but not enough to tolerate them while I sleep haha. The inner nest of the Silex looks a little small to me, but maybe that’s just my perception.

OP
W

Wapiti16

FNG
Also I see the new Eolus, which seems to be a 2 person version of the Silex, so that might be the ticket. Best of both worlds!

OP
W

Wapiti16

FNG
Looking at shelters has opened more questions for me. I’ve pretty much decided to go with the new Seek Outside Eolus, all the great features of the Silex but more room. SO lists the Eolus + Nest + accessories as 2lbs 10ozs.

I had full intentions of using an inner/nest tent with any any shelter I got with an open sleeping bag. After talking to a lot of guys, seems like many aren’t using an inner tent. Some are using shelter only over bag. Some are using shelter over a bivy + bag. Some are using the shelter over a groundcloth only with open sleeping bag.

Having never used anything but a traditional enclosed/double-wall tent, I’m a little fuzzy on what the best way to run a floorless option is. Any input?

I feel like at less than 3lbs, the Eolus + nest (inner tent) is still a great lightweight option.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If running a stove and unless deep snow don’t see a requirement for anything....the stove dries the ground quickly and I simply just throw pad and bag down 91A8F8F9-BD51-41BE-B715-31A450BFB43B.jpegand have had zero issues of water or anything073228F6-9326-4F9E-86E1-3552F77B9E13.jpeg

Mountainsmith LT is a great shelter at a very low cost. I used it to find out if floorless was for me then upgraded later to a Seek outside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CO-AJ

WKR
I like room so I don't feel trapped if the weather forces me inside for a day or three. At 3.5lbs (including nest) the SS2 is about as versatile and spacious as anyone could want. https://www.tarptent.com/product/stratospire-2/

View attachment 185841
View attachment 185842

For scale I'm 6' and 245lbs.
Love the Stratospire LI 2, I was pretty much decided on it until I thought about going the hot tent tipi style for year round versatility. Really like the Stratospire however.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just FYI, so far I've been looking hard at something like the Seek Outside Silvertip, Seek Outside Lil' Bug Out, or Stone Glacier Sky ULT.

I think something like that Lil Bug Out would be a great option. You can get the base + vestibule for 2 people no stove... then later season add a stove for 1 person. If it's earlier season and bugs are an issue then add a nest. Then with that LBO if you ever want to expand for 2 people and a stove or more room in general you can get the tarp to make it a base+tarp+vestibule. I have the base + vestibule right now I'm planning on using this year for a 1 person shelter on a couple sheep/goat hunts to save weight.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I like room so I don't feel trapped if the weather forces me inside for a day or three. At 3.5lbs (including nest) the SS2 is about as versatile and spacious as anyone could want. https://www.tarptent.com/product/stratospire-2/

View attachment 185841
View attachment 185842

For scale I'm 6' and 245lbs.
I know this will start a riot at your house... but the Stratospire tents from TarpTent are imported now. Sewn in China. Ugh. Saw that on their page earlier today. All of their DCF shelters are imported too. Im holding out hope they don't screw with the entire lineup.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CO-AJ

WKR
I know this will start a riot at your house... but the Stratospire tents from TarpTent are imported now. Sewn in China. Ugh. Saw that on their page earlier today. All of their DCF shelters are imported too. Im holding out hope they don't screw with the entire lineup.

Wow. Glad I went with the SO then.

I'll let Trump know...he's on speed-dial.

CO-AJ

WKR
I had seen the DCF note last week on their site, but I was honestly shocked when I saw the "imported" on the specs page.

It is also on the globally sourced description. That's too bad.

tttoadman

WKR
If it is early season as you have described, six moons lunar solo is my setup. I am only 5'-10 and it can be a little cramped on a sleeping pad. If you are tall, be careful with this one. It is only bad when you get some weather and it starts sagging in on you. The Lunar solo is a center pole setup, so it will take some snow better than some of the light 3 season tents out there. Late season(october on) with no bugs i take the Silvertip.

Luxe has a great pricepoint but many comments on this forum state that the Luxe products are pretty shoddy as far as fit and finish of the product. As mentioned above there are hundreds of options, so why even risk going with a lower quality or the chance of a lower quality.
It would be a price point thing and taking a gamble on it.

OP
W

Wapiti16

FNG
Just an update, I decided to go with the Seek Outside Eolus + full nest. I'm really excited to try it out, I think it will be a great, versatile shelter system.

CO-AJ

WKR
Just an update, I decided to go with the Seek Outside Eolus + full nest. I'm really excited to try it out, I think it will be a great, versatile shelter system.
I think you will like it, I am in the waiting que for my new CImarron. Hopefully it ships in the next week or two, sounds like they have been working tirelessly to get orders caught up. Though I say hopefully not at the expense of their quality.

FLH

Lil-Rokslider
It is also on the globally sourced description. That's too bad.

Considering all that's known about China's decades long advances towards US senators and representatives, all according to their plan to exert control over America and our elections, not by arms but by bribes to the lusts of men, (and not even beginning to mention Covid and gain of function studies at Wuhan covertly funded by Natl Institutes of Health, Fauci), one may rightly conclude that offshoring business to China indicates a divided loyalty, or worse, no loyalty except to the almighty dollar.

Former SOS Mike Pompeo's speech to US Governor's Association where he says 'All 50 of you are ranked by the Chinese Communist Party as either friendly, hardline, or ambiguous. I'll let you decide where you belong. Someone in China already has.'