beginner trad arrows for 40# and 50# limbs

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
I'm shooting 31 1/16 inch victory arrows, 600 spine, 100grain field points, 3 feather fletchings with my takedown 35# limbs
I need arrows for the 40# and 50# limbs i'm getting soon. I won't be big game hunting with the trad set up this year.

In the future i'll probably shoot heavier tips etc.

I was thinking of getting Gold tip traditional fletched arrows 6 for $60
  • 500 spine for my 40# limbs
  • 400 spine for my 50# limbs
  • OR can i shoot the either the 500 or 400 with both 40# & 50#?
I'd rather only buy one more set of 6 practice arrows while i learn to shoot trad

Thanks - m

sneaky

"DADDY"
What is your draw length? What weight insert are you using?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you want to save a little money you could just shoot aluminum arrows with the 40lb lbs, should be able to get well under $10/arrow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
C

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
What is your draw length? What weight insert are you using?

i forget my draw length my arrows are 31.0625 i'm not using an insert and am shooting 100grain field points

Blackcow

WKR
Gold tip blems if you can find them in the spines you want
Gold tip warrior. You can get a 1/2doz of each for just a hair more than 1/2 fox of the gold tip traditional, but not wood grain.
Big Jim’s Dark Timber. “Wood grain” if that important, cheaper than the gold tip, 33” full length. Good people to deal with.

OP
C

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
Gold tip blems if you can find them in the spines you want
Gold tip warrior. You can get a 1/2doz of each for just a hair more than 1/2 fox of the gold tip traditional, but not wood grain.
Big Jim’s Dark Timber. “Wood grain” if that important, cheaper than the gold tip, 33” full length. Good people to deal with.
Thanks, wood grain not important just the cheapest thing I found

Wrench

WKR
You can likely get by with 500s for both by changing point weight and/or building out the shelf with velcro if needed.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Is your riser cut to center or cut past center?

Unless you have a relatively short draw, I’d go 400 spine. I’ve had great results with the gold tip warriors. Get a “test kit” of fieldpoints. You can probably get the right spine at your two draw weights with the same arrow by changing field tips. Right now I shoot 340 gold tip warriors with 250gr up front with 50lb draw weight. They are relatively light arrows so the extra total weights feels much nicer to shoot overall.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Also look at the Bloodsport Timberwolfs (500). They come dipped and feather fletched with brass inserts. Some good buys on ebay and elsewhere. I am finding them tougher than Easton or Gold Tips.

OP
C

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
yeh GT arrow spine chart suggests the 400 would work for both the 40# and 50# with my arrow length

Beendare

WKR
600 and 500 spine would cover all those weights. Tune buy adjusting arrow length/component weight. 400 spine will probably be too stiff.
Exactly^

FWIW, I just setup a arrow for my 40# recurve target bow; Tradtech 19" riser, Dryad acs recurve limbs, 64" bow, I have a 30 1/4" DL. My strike plate is set with the arrow perfectly on Centerline of riser.

Centershot 500's cut 30 3/4" long std insert and 125 gr point bare shaft perfect.

_______

sneaky

"DADDY"
Lots of variables you are leaving out here. Would be really useful info to know your draw length. My arrows aren't too much longer than yours, but I have a 31" draw length. I know guys with 27-28" draws who shoot 31" arrows because they wanted that particular arrow and cut it long to get it to tune. Your release form also plays a part in the tune. A consistent smooth release shows up differently than a plucky type release and arrows will react differently to each style. You shoot 3 under or split? Lots of variables to consider. I will echo what has already been mentioned, 400s are going to be stiff at 40-50#s unless you shoot a ton of point weight. The amount of weight you put on the back of the arrow changes spine too. 3 feather, 4 feather, short feathers, big 5" feathers, wrap, no wrap, all that matters.

Lots of variables you are leaving out here. Would be really useful info to know your draw length. My arrows aren't too much longer than yours, but I have a 31" draw length. I know guys with 27-28" draws who shoot 31" arrows because they wanted that particular arrow and cut it long to get it to tune. Your release form also plays a part in the tune. A consistent smooth release shows up differently than a plucky type release and arrows will react differently to each style. You shoot 3 under or split? Lots of variables to consider. I will echo what has already been mentioned, 400s are going to be stiff at 40-50#s unless you shoot a ton of point weight. The amount of weight you put on the back of the arrow changes spine too. 3 feather, 4 feather, short feathers, big 5" feathers, wrap, no wrap, all that matters.

Draw is 31", mentioned above, though not in OP.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Draw is 31", mentioned above, though not in OP.

He said his arrows are cut at 31", I asked earlier in the thread what his DL and he said he wasn't sure