beginner trad arrows for 40# and 50# limbs

OP
C

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of variables you are leaving out here. Would be really useful info to know your draw length. My arrows aren't too much longer than yours, but I have a 31" draw length. I know guys with 27-28" draws who shoot 31" arrows because they wanted that particular arrow and cut it long to get it to tune. Your release form also plays a part in the tune. A consistent smooth release shows up differently than a plucky type release and arrows will react differently to each style. You shoot 3 under or split? Lots of variables to consider. I will echo what has already been mentioned, 400s are going to be stiff at 40-50#s unless you shoot a ton of point weight. The amount of weight you put on the back of the arrow changes spine too. 3 feather, 4 feather, short feathers, big 5" feathers, wrap, no wrap, all that matters.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I’d have to remeasure, I beleive my draw length is 27.5”. Also, I’m shooting 3 under

Ddog

WKR
If you're only wanting 1 set of arrows for both 40# and 50#, 500 spine. 200-250gr points for the 40# and 125gr for the 50#. Same draw here and 3 under. I shot 40# recovering from a shoulder injury and 50# is my normal hunting weight. 29.5" 500 with 200gr points actually shoot well for me from 40-50#, try it, you'll need 500s anyway for the 50#

OP
C

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
You should get a field point test kit also. RMS Gear has or had a great one. 3 each from 85-300 grains I think.
Is RMSG taking online orders? I don't beleive they have been deemed essential so they probably closed. Wait, they sell Allen wrenches so they can be considered a “hardware store”!
I’ll give them a call thanks

Is RMSG taking online orders? I don't beleive they have been deemed essential so they probably closed. Wait, they sell Allen wrenches so they can be considered a “hardware store”!
I’ll give them a call thanks
I thought I saw somewhere they had closed the shop but were talking online orders, though I can't find the post now.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm just curious why you are shooting 31" arrows with a 27.5" DL. That's some serious clearance out front!

OP
C

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
Hmmmm, that's surprising coming from Tom and those guys

This is my first trad bow maybe they leave arrows a little long just in case.

also after one lesson with Tom he got another inch of draw length just with technique.95F487D6-385C-4EA7-831C-1F70BFA3D9E5.jpeg

attached is my hand at full draw. I could probably take a little off the end of the arrow, I don’t want a broadhead close to my hand.

GLB

WKR
I wouldn’t worry about your arrow sticking out in front of your riser as long as it doesn’t bother you with your aiming method and you have good arrow flight. when you shorten the length on a arrow it will stiffen the dynamic spine.

OP
C

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t worry about your arrow sticking out in front of your riser as long as it doesn’t bother you with your aiming method and you have good arrow flight. when you shorten the length on a arrow it will stiffen the dynamic spine.
I’m shooting instinctual for now on Tom’s recommendation. I finally feel like all those years playing baseball is paying off :)

OP
C

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
Talked to RMSG they said my draw length should be about an inch longer than my compound draw length given release and d-loop.

so my draw length for trad is about 28.5”

sneaky

"DADDY"
Lot of guys lose about an inch of draw length going from compound to trad because they don't ever execute a full, proper shot sequence. I used to love going to trad shoots and watching everyone on the practice bales. You see every bad habit known to man, all in one spot lol. It'll take you time to adjust at every draw weight level as you go up. Your draw will be shorter at 50# until you build up to that weight, just going from 40# to 50# will feel like a huge jump initially. Going from where you are now to 40# won't be as much of a shock. Did he set you up with a clicker?

OP
C

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
Lot of guys lose about an inch of draw length going from compound to trad because they don't ever execute a full, proper shot sequence. I used to love going to trad shoots and watching everyone on the practice bales. You see every bad habit known to man, all in one spot lol. It'll take you time to adjust at every draw weight level as you go up. Your draw will be shorter at 50# until you build up to that weight, just going from 40# to 50# will feel like a huge jump initially. Going from where you are now to 40# won't be as much of a shock. Did he set you up with a clicker?

No clicker yet, Tom wanted to work with me more before adding a clicker.

Interesting I GAINED an inch in my draw length going from compound to trad. I can attribute that to two things: starting with a low poundage and getting a lesson from Tom

GLB

WKR
One thing on draw length with a stickbow. Most people draw shorter than they think. A good way to know for sure is to mark several marks on a arrow with a marker and video yourself shooting over several days. Don’t look at the video until you have 3 different shooting session with your marked arrow.
Good form will make your draw length consistent. it will change slightly with lighter weight bows vs heavy weight bows. Heavier draw bows you will be more compressed.

OP
C

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
RMSG is awesome!! I ordered arrows Monday for them today!! My limbs should come in a day or two.

thanks everyone for your input