Beginner turkey hunting

Hi all, just wanted to test the waters a little bit here and see if anyone had some advice. With whitetail season coming to an end here I'm starting to look into turkey season coming up. Now I have never hunted turkey before so I was wondering if anyone had any tips or best practices for hunting turkey in general for tracking, sitting, etc.

In addition to this I also recently picked up my first bow as well and have set a goal for myself to be ready to hunt with it by then. I'm curious what broadheads people like to use.

Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Ondavirg

Lil-Rokslider
When I started turkey hunting I got a cd of real turkey sounds and a beginner set of primos diaphragm calls that came with an instructional cd. I listened in the truck and played with the diaphragms until I could make some noise with them. Then listening to the real turkey talk over and over and trying to replicate that helped a bunch. One thing to consider with the mouth calls, if you can’t easily make sounds with what you’ve got, get one with a different shape or size. I had trouble with larger calls because i couldn’t get a good seal on the roof of my palate. The hooks calls fit better and are easier for me. There are also tons of other types of calls you can try out as well. Just starting out I picked a slate pot call up as it seemed the easiest to play. You need something to get loud on (diaphragm or box) and something to play soft and quiet (pot call for me). Might be different calls for you to get the job done, but keep in mind you will need to be loud to locate a bird but quiet to pull him in sometimes. Oh, be careful with turkeys. They become addicting!

OP
B
Thanks! That's super helpful. I hadn't even thought about picking up a cd to listen to, I'll definitely be looking into getting something like that. I picked up a few diaphragm calls and played around with them a bit. I watched some videos on them but it was difficult to pick up on the different pitches and volumes they were showing compared to what I was doing. I'll definitely look into a pot call and mixing up the different sounds. I'm excited to start getting after some

Biggest advise I can give is be patient... if you have located a bird and call but he doesn't answer, don't just keep calling every couple minutes.. if he's playing the hush game then play back. If you can hear him then he can hear you... call a little bit just to let him know your there sit very still and just watch.. he will either come to you or gobble again to try and locate you.. I've sat in one spot for up to 30 minutes with out calling and had them show up..
You can definitely over call at birds. Some times all they need is a few soft yelp.
Learn how to cackle and fighting purr..I locate more birds with those two calls then anything else...

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
They're the stupidest birds around. That being said, they have great eyes and very skittish.
Get a cheap box call, practice before you go out. Get the basic calls down before investing in a bunch of decoys and nicer equipment.

Mouth calls and different tactics are level 2.

The hunting public does a decent job of showing how it's done.

nhol100

FNG
In the fall I would swear to you deer hunting is my favorite but come spring time turkey hunting always has me questioning that. The best part about turkey hunting is hunting with someone else, deer hunting I like to be alone but hunting with a partner during turkey season makes it that much better. Dont get me wrong if I cant find someone to go, I am still out there until my tags are filled.

Being able to call to turkeys is what makes it so much fun. So definitely get some calls and practice. Box calls are the easiest but its tough to use those when the birds are in close.... because you cannot move if their heads are up and visible or they will be gone. So I would at least get a mouth call and just be able to make a few sounds to help you out if they are in close but not close enough.

Bow hunting takes turkey hunting to a whole new level when it comes to difficulty. When it comes to deer hunting I primarily bow hunt, and I have killed a few turkeys with a bow, but honestly I'd rather shoot them with a shotgun. Because of their eye sight and their tendency to bolt when they see movement its hard to get drawn on them. So if your going to use a bow I would suggest a blind or having a decoy set up to distract them from your position or both.

If you are going to hunt with a shotgun it depends where you are hunting on whether or not you need a decoy. I have them but hardly ever use them, I like to get into the woods and call from a position where its tight enough and I dont need the decoy. If you will be hunting open woods or field edges you are going to want a decoy out there . Because if they think they should be able to see a turkey where you are calling from but dont see one then they are not going to come in.

I have never watched The Hunting Public (youtube) Turkey hunts but if its anything like their deer hunts you can learn a ton from them. They typically explain why they are doing what they are doing, or why something didnt work out. Plus just listen to how they call, and when they call, and how loud they call, and maybe even when they dont call.

And if none of this works out you can always set up somewhere where you know they are going or where they may pass through and ambush them. Good luck.

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
In the fall I would swear to you deer hunting is my favorite but come spring time turkey hunting always has me questioning that. The best part about turkey hunting is hunting with someone else, deer hunting I like to be alone but hunting with a partner during turkey season makes it that much better. Dont get me wrong if I cant find someone to go, I am still out there until my tags are filled.

Being able to call to turkeys is what makes it so much fun. So definitely get some calls and practice. Box calls are the easiest but its tough to use those when the birds are in close.... because you cannot move if their heads are up and visible or they will be gone. So I would at least get a mouth call and just be able to make a few sounds to help you out if they are in close but not close enough.

Bow hunting takes turkey hunting to a whole new level when it comes to difficulty. When it comes to deer hunting I primarily bow hunt, and I have killed a few turkeys with a bow, but honestly I'd rather shoot them with a shotgun. Because of their eye sight and their tendency to bolt when they see movement its hard to get drawn on them. So if your going to use a bow I would suggest a blind or having a decoy set up to distract them from your position or both.

If you are going to hunt with a shotgun it depends where you are hunting on whether or not you need a decoy. I have them but hardly ever use them, I like to get into the woods and call from a position where its tight enough and I dont need the decoy. If you will be hunting open woods or field edges you are going to want a decoy out there . Because if they think they should be able to see a turkey where you are calling from but dont see one then they are not going to come in.

I have never watched The Hunting Public (youtube) Turkey hunts but if its anything like their deer hunts you can learn a ton from them. They typically explain why they are doing what they are doing, or why something didnt work out. Plus just listen to how they call, and when they call, and how loud they call, and maybe even when they dont call.

And if none of this works out you can always set up somewhere where you know they are going or where they may pass through and ambush them. Good luck.
I'd agree with the box call being hard to conceal up close. Mouth calls are sometimes tricky to get right for newbz.

Their turkey episodes are entertaining and make calling look so easy. It is definitely more fun with another hunter.
Ironically, I've never watched their deer episodes. I'll have to check it out.

OP
B
That's definitely good to know. Anytime I've heard them in the woods they're going off pretty frequent once they start so I'll be aware for when they quiet down like that to try and keep them on the line. I'll look into practice those types of calls

OP
B
They're the stupidest birds around. That being said, they have great eyes and very skittish.
Get a cheap box call, practice before you go out. Get the basic calls down before investing in a bunch of decoys and nicer equipment.

Mouth calls and different tactics are level 2.

The hunting public does a decent job of showing how it's done.
I've been looking to pick one up. But wasn't sure. A lot of what I've seen is that the mouth call was the best bet since it's hands free but I hadn't thought about expanding on the sound range for the calls so I definitely look to get one soon

Justinjs

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking to pick one up. But wasn't sure. A lot of what I've seen is that the mouth call was the best bet since it's hands free but I hadn't thought about expanding on the sound range for the calls so I definitely look to get one soon

A lot of first calls are box calls, no shame in it.
Mouth calls definitely have their advantages though. I've used a Quaker Boy hurricane with good success, easy, cheap, and waterproof.
I'm still trying to find a mouth call I like, probably lots of user error to be honest.

To expand, I haven't had a lot of success with decoys. One morning I had about 4 toms walk off my set up. That afternoon I took them down and boom...it was a turkey highway again..Probably more user error.. probably not good enough decoys. Idk, I don't use them after that experience.

Best bet, get out and do it. The only way to see what works for you is try.

OP
B
Thanks, for all the great advice! I'm trying to convince my buddy to come out with me so we'll see how it goes. The calling and response they have to be super exciting and that's what's gotten me really interested in it. Plus more time out in the woods definitely doesn't make me sad. I'll be watching some hunting public for sure. Their deer vids are great and I'm sure their turkey ones are just as good

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
If you have a ground blind, use it. Turkeys are alert to sound and movement, and hunting from a blind makes calling, moving, drawing the bow, etc all a lot easier. No need to brush them up, they will walk by a blind standing in the middle of an alfalfa field that you popped up an hour ago.

A box call would be the fastest to learn and easiest to use, but would be hard to use if not in a blind. When you get bored with that jump to a pot call, the the mouth calls. Each is a little more versatile, but takes more time and practice.

I use decoys to pull birds in and position them for a shot. I think there's a big difference in which decoys you use. For a beginner, I'd recommend going without them. You do have to set up differently when hunting without decoys. Set up somewhere a turkey will have to come looking to find the hen (around a brushy corner, along a weedy fence line, a small clearing in thicker cover, etc.). If you set up somewhere in the open the Toms will come out expecting to see a hen, and they can get leary when they don't see anything where there should be a hen.

MR5X5

FNG
They may be the stupidest bird out their but the can be wary as all get out. If they could smell I'm not sure they could be killed? They can be super moody, like fish. Weather, wind, pressure changes, you name it. Catching them on a sunny day follwing weather can be magical... Keep after them and don't try to outsmart them too much or you'll be playing their game (not that they'll know it) and they will win. Get a slate and get in the woods!

slvrslngr

WKR
I’m a neophyte turkey hunter so take my advice or don’t.

I use a box call as my palette is very high and narrow so mouth calls don’t work. Box calls are the easiest to learn for sure. What works for me is to call just enough to get the tom coming in then call quietly and sparingly or I just stop calling and let him come find me. I’ve found less is more. Be patient, some toms gobble like crazy when they’re coming in, other like the stealthy approach.

I have a decoy and use it some but have yet to see any real advantage, but every situation is different. I’m a run and gun style of hunter though so carrying a decoy is a PITA.

Wear good camo, cover your face and hands, keep movement to a minimum. Set up in the shade, preferably with a tree behind you and some brush in front.

Be sure to pattern your gun/load, use an appropriate choke and don’t take risky shots, turkeys are big, tough birds and a poor hit will inevitably lead to a lost bird. Ask me how I know...

Spray your clothes with good bug dope, especially your boots and pants. I spray pretty much everything, head to toe. Or treat all your gear with permethrin. You WILL get ticks on you.

The best piece of advice I can give though, is to just get out there and do it!

kahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Good advice here! If I had to choose between deer hunting and turkeys I would honestly probably choose turkeys. It’s a rush when you get them gobbling in bow range.
That said, they can be super frustrating at times. On the public I hunt in MO the Tom’s have learned they are safer in the trees so they will literally just sit on the roost and gobble their heads off, but refuse to come to calls no matter what you try. They just wait for the hens to come to them. I have had several still on the roost at 10:00-11:00.
Hopefully you can start off with some more cooperative birds, lol.

OP
B
If you have a ground blind, use it. Turkeys are alert to sound and movement, and hunting from a blind makes calling, moving, drawing the bow, etc all a lot easier. No need to brush them up, they will walk by a blind standing in the middle of an alfalfa field that you popped up an hour ago.

A box call would be the fastest to learn and easiest to use, but would be hard to use if not in a blind. When you get bored with that jump to a pot call, the the mouth calls. Each is a little more versatile, but takes more time and practice.

I use decoys to pull birds in and position them for a shot. I think there's a big difference in which decoys you use. For a beginner, I'd recommend going without them. You do have to set up differently when hunting without decoys. Set up somewhere a turkey will have to come looking to find the hen (around a brushy corner, along a weedy fence line, a small clearing in thicker cover, etc.). If you set up somewhere in the open the Toms will come out expecting to see a hen, and they can get leary when they don't see anything where there should be a hen.
I do have a ground blind and that's really what I'm leaning towards. Decoys seem to be a bit finicky so I kinda want to stay away from them at least my first go at hunting them. I'm still looking to pick up a box call, so far I've gotten some mouth call and a pot/slate call and so far I like the pot call a whole lot better and can get a much better sound out of it than I can with the mouth calls. That's good to know for placing the blind too. I've never hunted out of one before. I'm looking to start scouting some public this weekend and I'll definitely look to find some good cover where it looks like birds are near.

OP
B
Good advice here! If I had to choose between deer hunting and turkeys I would honestly probably choose turkeys. It’s a rush when you get them gobbling in bow range.
That said, they can be super frustrating at times. On the public I hunt in MO the Tom’s have learned they are safer in the trees so they will literally just sit on the roost and gobble their heads off, but refuse to come to calls no matter what you try. They just wait for the hens to come to them. I have had several still on the roost at 10:00-11:00.
Hopefully you can start off with some more cooperative birds, lol.
I love deer hunting but that's one thing I can't wait for is to get them coming in gobbling like that. I hope so, that sucks they stay up in the trees like that. I'm curious to see how it'll be, the piece of public I'm planning on hunting currently is the same place I hunted for deer this year. It's kinda hard to pick out how the pressure is gonna be. I know early October for deer it was crazy but here over the last couple weeks it's died down to barely cracking double digits hunters signed in for the day so I have no clue how the turkey pressure will be. Regardless gonna give it hell and hope for the best.

aham

FNG
Hi all, just wanted to test the waters a little bit here and see if anyone had some advice. With whitetail season coming to an end here I'm starting to look into turkey season coming up. Now I have never hunted turkey before so I was wondering if anyone had any tips or best practices for hunting turkey in general for tracking, sitting, etc.

In addition to this I also recently picked up my first bow as well and have set a goal for myself to be ready to hunt with it by then. I'm curious what broadheads people like to use.

Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated.

Just make sure to stay patient. Just because a tom shuts up doesnt mean he's lost interest, in my short span of hunting turkeys I deffinetly would have a couple more if I would have stayed put.

bdg848

WKR
Hunting them in the timber is my my favorite way to hunt them. There is a lot more maneuvering to be done to get in position. As said above, find them on the roost the night before and get within 100 yards if possible or sneak as close as you can in the predawn light. If I close my eyes and imagine a gobble on the limb as the sun is coming up, it gives me chills. I have had many close calls with my bow and if I would have had my shot gun I'd have several more dead birds but it is just so hard to be situated correctly with a bow and then get drawn on top of that (I don't use a ground blind). This year I'm going back to my shotgun to get some revenge.