Beginning stages planning a hunt with the wife

Ok, so last year I took my wife to Colorado and we rented it for 11 nights chasing elk. She had never stayed in a tent other than her back yard for a night as a kid. No utilities, no electricity, nada. Spent the first three nights in snow. Covered over 75 miles and she was with me every step of the way and loved it. She can’t wait to go back this year and do it all over again.

However, she sent me the following picture and said that she wants to make this her next big adventure. So, I’ve kicked around the idea of a caribou hunt and looked into some drop hunts on the past. Found a few guys that would fly me in. But, these were for otc units in Alaska and I know there are also draw units as well. So, I’m asking for some help in getting steered the right direction as to areas of Alaska to look into, options for drop hunts either plane or boat, or guided. And also some idea of how draw units work in Alaska. It would be a trip of a life time and probably only one and done for us. We are planning on starting a family very soon. I greatly appreciate any and all info I can get to make this amazing and beautiful woman’s dream come true!

Here is her bucket bou! Lol
315c0819b26419c3850d857f35fb0ba6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
I like the way she thinks!

I'm not sure I'd bother with most caribou draw tags......maybe the one in GMU 20A hunt # DC827 and for that some guys like Wright Air out of Fairbanks but I'm only familiar with Golden Eagle Outfitters out of Delta Junction.

Drawing applications are submitted in November and drawn if February.

The 40 Mile Herd would be a good one but flights are difficult to get.

NW Alaska out of Kotzebue is in turmoil at this time and outcome is unknown.

I'm sure others have input also.

OP
ddavis_1313
I like the way she thinks!

I'm not sure I'd bother with most caribou draw tags......maybe the one in GMU 20A hunt # DC827 and for that some guys like Wright Air out of Fairbanks but I'm only familiar with Golden Eagle Outfitters out of Delta Junction.

Drawing applications are submitted in November and drawn if February.

The 40 Mile Herd would be a good one but flights are difficult to get.

NW Alaska out of Kotzebue is in turmoil at this time and outcome is unknown.

I'm sure others have input also.

I appreciate the input. What’s going on with northwest Alaska?

OLE1021

FNG
YOU MARRIED A GOOD WOMAN!!!

MY WIFE AND I WENT LAST AUGUST OUT OF KOTZ WITH ARCTIC AIR. IT WAS AN AMAZING ADVENTURE. BOTH TAGGED TROPHY BOU.
WE RENTED GEAR ON A DIY DROP HUNT. IT IS A VERY PHYSICAL HUNT BUT DOABLE. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO MESSAGE ME. OUR HUNT WAS EVERYTHING WE HOPED FOR

GOOD LUCK

OP
ddavis_1313

MY WIFE AND I WENT LAST AUGUST OUT OF KOTZ WITH ARCTIC AIR. IT WAS AN AMAZING ADVENTURE. BOTH TAGGED TROPHY BOU.
WE RENTED GEAR ON A DIY DROP HUNT. IT IS A VERY PHYSICAL HUNT BUT DOABLE. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO MESSAGE ME. OUR HUNT WAS EVERYTHING WE HOPED FOR

GOOD LUCK

I would absolutely love any and all input. I’m trying to book for next year. You can text me at 979-224-2646 if you’d like. Would love to see some harvest pics!

AKBorn

WKR
I would absolutely love any and all input. I’m trying to book for next year. You can text me at 979-224-2646 if you’d like. Would love to see some harvest pics!

If you scroll down through the past 3-5 pages of threads on this subforum, lots of good caribou hunting stories and pics here.

I just paid a pretty penny for a 10 day trip in august. Hopefully be coming back heavy.

gearguywb

WKR

GOOD LUCK

Pm sent