Being a good guest hunter

TheCougar

WKR
I’ve never been in this situation before: I was grasping for straws at places to hunt after a terrible draw streak, so I called a buddy of mine who put me in touch with his BIL in Wyoming. I basically asked, “Hey guy I don’t know who is related to my friend, can I go deer and antelope hunting with you?” I’ve taken lots of people out, but never invited myself to hunt with a complete stranger. He has been a total trooper; doing scouting, getting access sorted out, etc. So far, I’ve paid for a couple of his antelope doe tags (maybe $75) and I plan driving, paying for any expenses, offering him some of the elk meat I’m bringing from MT, and giving him first shot at anything we see. I’ve also got points in a bunch of states and I am going to offer up a group application if we get along well. Anything to not be a mooch! Hopefully I don’t act like an asshat and we get along well... If you were him, how else can I be a good guest and try to remove the stigma of the random dude who invited himself to hunt with you?

Sounds like you’ve done quite a bit already. Maybe you could also offer to bring the groceries and do most of the cooking when you’re back at camp. Seems like you already have the right attitude, should be fine.

You've done alot up to the actual hunt.

I would hunt at his pace to start. Even if he's much slower than you, don't push him until you get to know each other better.

DON'T slow him down if his pace is faster than your normal. Be ready to go.

Nothing would ruin my hunt more than the random self-invited person slowing me down or continuously trying to make me up my pace.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
You've done alot up to the actual hunt.

I would hunt at his pace to start. Even if he's much slower than you, don't push him until you get to know each other better.

DON'T slow him down if his pace is faster than your normal. Be ready to go.

Nothing would ruin my hunt more than the random self-invited person slowing me down or continuously trying to make me up my pace.

thats a good point. I hunt hard, And I don’t know his hunting style, so I’ll follow his lead and hunt how he wants to hunt. I have no idea what to expect, so I’ll try to be flexible.

Last edited:
I would at least have a conversation about morals/ethics type things. Always good to know some of those things before you head out. Does he drink are you ok with it? Will be break a law are you ok with it? Does he cuss up a storm are you ok with it? I think figuring a few of these things out are important. I am taking a guy to idaho this year and these are just some of the things I need to sit down with him about

Wapiti1

WKR
Hunting style and pace may be a problem, but that is usually not as big an issue as what Mooretitan brings up.

Personal conduct, smoking, and drinking are probably the ones that kill a hunt fastest.

You've done a lot already, and I think are good to go. The only other things are camp chores. When I have friends out we share chores, and it is decided prior who does what. I cook, mostly because I know where things are in the camp trailer, they do dishes. That sort of thing.

Jeremy

jspradley

WKR
Being concerned at all is a good sign that things will go fine.

I genuinely believe that most of the "guest mistake" horror stories we hear about are not the result of honest mistakes but good ol fashioned not giving a shit about anyone but themselves.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Being concerned at all is a good sign that things will go fine.

I genuinely believe that most of the "guest mistake" horror stories we hear about are not the result of honest mistakes but good ol fashioned not giving a shit about anyone but themselves.

yeah, that’s not me, I hope! Luckily I’m also not a booze hound and I don’t get handsy with hunting partners either...

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like your doing fine as is. He seems to be a cool guy to let ya tag along. I would say no matter what happens or where you hunt just don't steal his spot after the fact. I've taken guys out hunting in my neck of the woods that have recently moved here for whatever reason & asked me about hunting. Next thing I know they're out in my spot the next year with some other douche bags. That's just not cool.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Sounds like your doing fine as is. He seems to be a cool guy to let ya tag along. I would say no matter what happens or where you hunt just don't steal his spot after the fact. I've taken guys out hunting in my neck of the woods that have recently moved here for whatever reason & asked me about hunting. Next thing I know they're out in my spot the next year with some other douche bags. That's just not cool.

I don’t plan on stealing his spot. This is more about seeing new country and getting outside, as the units I am in are low quality by all accounts. I’m hoping that we get along and I can take him hunting in one of my spots next year. If I can draw the tags...

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t plan on stealing his spot. This is more about seeing new country and getting outside, as the units I am in are low quality by all accounts. I’m hoping that we get along and I can take him hunting in one of my spots next year. If I can draw the tags...
You don't sound like a guy that would steal a spot I didn't mean to imply you would. It seems like you guys should do just fine. Hope ya kill the big ones!

Sounds like you would be a good guy to bring along on a hunt. Maybe bring him something from Texas that you think he might like or something that he cant get in Montana. Or setup a hunt for him in Texas. But besides that seems like youre on the right track.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Figured I would close this one out: my first experience at being a guest hunter went well. Justin, who is actually on Rokslide, was an awesome host and great guy to hunt with. His family was very gracious, considering I was a complete stranger and I had a great time hunting and hanging out with them - we even took his son along for a day of hunting and he gave himself the nickname “King Cobra”, which is a pretty badass nickname to bestow upon oneself. I ended up paying for the gas, buying them a pizza dinner, and leaving some elk meat for their freezer. I’m also trying to take him hunting for dirty sheep in NM or possibly some other out of state hunt where I can pay him back for his generosity. He showed me that you can peel back the hide of an antelope with just your hands, making the quartering process even faster and cleaner than before. Plus, Justin introduced me to the wonderful world of deer bacon and even sent me a copy of the Western Hunter magazine with the recipe. Like I said - he is a total class act. Hunting with new folks is always a bit uncomfortable for me, but in this case I feel like it went pretty well and I hope we get a chance to hunt again in the future.