Being charged by a wounded black bear

hilts

FNG
Adrenaline rush is right, a rush like none other. I run hounds and have had a handful of close encounters. I've had to burn hair on a couple wounded bear. At least with the hounds, we aren't usually tracking and you are ready for the charge to happen... or at least as ready as you can be.

Beendare

WKR
I had a crazy one a few years back. My buddy Dave and I did a Archery bear hunt in BC. Dave shot a bear in the late afternoon and the guide didn't want to go in the thick timber to look for it so we came back the next morning.

Dave borrowed a rifle from the camp and its good that he did. We found lots of blood 50 yds into the timber on the moss. It became obvious from sign in the moss with blood spots on both sides of big piles of bear poop that Dave hit him in the hind quarter.

We spent a couple hours ranging out and I found a fresh drip line of blood going into a thick swampy spot. I got the other guys, the guide included who was trying to walk his lab on a leash through that thick crap.

We creeped up to a huge downed tree and as Dave and I peeked over there was the bear looking at us. Right then the Bear leaped at us over the tree like Superman from no more than 10' away....and Dave shot him like a flushing pheasant point blank.

The bear slumped back over the log stone dead. We heard a bunch of commotion to our right and during the charge the guides lab spooked and wrapped the leash around his legs toppling him to the ground there helpless with his 45-70 slung over his shoulder.

That was one of the coolest shots I've seen in the woods.....Dave was the man and saved us a munching for sure.
87215FB3-7B37-44EF-8B1C-C2720A1FC32C.jpeg
Were we found the blood
Daves bear
34B1982B-6F12-42BF-A0F5-BBE29467F26B.jpeg
___