Being charged by a wounded black bear

I hunt black bears with hounds and know one guy that got bit going after a wounded bear. He accidentally slid down the ravine into the bear but managed to shot it and kill it with his pistol. Minor bite marks on his ankle/heal but it made for an interesting season.
The last bear I shot was in a corn field double planted rows. Talk about exciting... nothing like laying down on the ground to try and shoot a bear at 20 yards. It ended up running off after I hit it. We caught back up to it and my backup shooter shot it in the head at about 7 ft away falling back into me. It was running down the row he was stepping int. Kinda crazy but love hunting bears

Attachments

• 806AD4F5-F2EF-4E1E-9A13-A9A66F682ABC.jpeg
    806AD4F5-F2EF-4E1E-9A13-A9A66F682ABC.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 66
OP
huntingaddiction
I hunt black bears with hounds and know one guy that got bit going after a wounded bear. He accidentally slid down the ravine into the bear but managed to shot it and kill it with his pistol. Minor bite marks on his ankle/heal but it made for an interesting season.
The last bear I shot was in a corn field double planted rows. Talk about exciting... nothing like laying down on the ground to try and shoot a bear at 20 yards. It ended up running off after I hit it. We caught back up to it and my backup shooter shot it in the head at about 7 ft away falling back into me. It was running down the row he was stepping int. Kinda crazy but love hunting bears
Bears are always a good time...haven't died yet, so I am probably going to continue hunting them.

Is he grey? Or is that dried mud?

bsnedeker

WKR
Back in 2014 there was a hunter who got mauled by a bear in MN he had shot with archery equipment. It's hard to find an article with the entire story but this guy did basically everything wrong. He survived thankfully but he got lucky.

He shot the bear at sunset...this was a huge bear, they claim it was 525 pounds. They went back to camp and then started thinking about the wasted meat so they (him and three buddies) went back out in the middle of the night to try and find the bear. Only one guy in the party had a gun and they decided to split up. One of the guys finds the bear, it's still alive and immediately attacks him...he is not the guy with a gun. The guy with the gun is about 1/4 mile away and hears the screaming and starts running. In the meantime dude getting attacked has a knife and starts going to town on this bear while the bear is chewing on his arm. If I remember correctly the bear backed off and attacked him again 3 times before he finally died.

Don't track bears in the dark armed only with a knife people!

sndmn11

WKR
LOL! This is incredible. LOL!

Should I call you a troll or instigator?
Neither. I would be good with a curious person.

In some states there is no defined answer to who is the possessor of the animal when one person wounds and another person kills a game animal. Potentially in some states there is a defined answer to that scenario. I am aware that there are many different ways to handle who puts their tag on an animal that was distinctly shot by two separate hunters, and I was curious what was decided on this situation since there was such a detailed rundown of the scenario and how things happened. Maybe I would have learned if Washington had guidance on the matter from someone experienced and familiar in that state.

OP
huntingaddiction

In some states there is no defined answer to who is the possessor of the animal when one person wounds and another person kills a game animal. Potentially in some states there is a defined answer to that scenario. I am aware that there are many different ways to handle who puts their tag on an animal that was distinctly shot by two separate hunters, and I was curious what was decided on this situation since there was such a detailed rundown of the scenario and how things happened. Maybe I would have learned if Washington had guidance on the matter from someone experienced and familiar in that state.
Overall in WA the law is pretty vague. The law states that it should be tagged by the person who mortally wounded the animal. If you read up on it, it will also say that each particular case is different and the circumstances should be taken into consideration.

That's why I won't have the conversation, because no matter what we did, someone will view it the opposite way. They weren't there, so frankly, it is none of their business. If a game warden were to ask, I would gladly explain the situation.

I hope this helps.

Rich M

WKR

Gotcha - it is one of those trigger things that folks go off about - and it could be seen as an attempt to take the conversation down that road.

Oregon

WKR
I got charged 3 years ago. Rolled a bear down a clearcut into a narrow creek bottom. Thick alders, couldn’t see the bottom. I stood on the edge and threw rocks and logs for 30 minutes. Zero movement or noise.
Jumped about 4’ off a steep bank and landed in the bottom. Second my feet hit the ground the brush 8’ feet away erupts with a god awful noise and movement.
I did what every tough guy experienced hunter would do. Screamed like a girl and emptied my .338 from the hip into the brush in record time then took off running.
Next morning brought a couple buddies and lots of firepower. Hit it 2 times from the hip! Deader than hell. First shot hit it far back and broke both back legs. So, I wasn’t being charged very fast! It wasn’t a fun experience especially on the run out thinking there isn’t a soul on the planet who has any idea where I’m even hunting tonight.

OP
huntingaddiction
I got charged 3 years ago. Rolled a bear down a clearcut into a narrow creek bottom. Thick alders, couldn’t see the bottom. I stood on the edge and threw rocks and logs for 30 minutes. Zero movement or noise.
Jumped about 4’ off a steep bank and landed in the bottom. Second my feet hit the ground the brush 8’ feet away erupts with a god awful noise and movement.
I did what every tough guy experienced hunter would do. Screamed like a girl and emptied my .338 from the hip into the brush in record time then took off running.
Next morning brought a couple buddies and lots of firepower. Hit it 2 times from the hip! Deader than hell. First shot hit it far back and broke both back legs. So, I wasn’t being charged very fast! It wasn’t a fun experience especially on the run out thinking there isn’t a soul on the planet who has any idea where I’m even hunting tonight.
Yikes, those bottoms can be a mess, especially in bear country. I would assume you let someone know where you are hunting now?

I lost my father in a hunting accident back in 2009. We knew the area he was hunting but had no real idea which way he had gone. Found him 3 days later, so I always try to let someone know my plan and I also keep an inreach on me and charged. Just in case.

Oregon

WKR
Yikes, those bottoms can be a mess, especially in bear country. I would assume you let someone know where you are hunting now?

I lost my father in a hunting accident back in 2009. We knew the area he was hunting but had no real idea which way he had gone. Found him 3 days later, so I always try to let someone know my plan and I also keep an inreach on me and charged. Just in case.
I do.

I shot a young male black bear out of my friend’s chicken pen. He killed five of their chickens the night before and came back for seconds. I shot it through the lungs with a .270. It ran about 100 yards down towards the road and stopped at a fence and sat up on it’s hind legs. I was so fired up, I chased it as soon as I shot. When I got to it, I shot it through the chest with a .357 magnum to end its suffering. Instead of falling over, it ran towards me. I shot it again with the .357 and it rolled over and never got back up.
I traded the .357 for a 44 mag soon after.

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
We had a crazy experience in 2019 with a Black bear. Tracked a wounded one and lost blood. About an hour later I look under an uprooted tree and a little glimmer of sun was letting in and I could see a back paw. Call my buddy over who shot the bear and I could hear the bear starting to breathe really heavily. Once my buddy got there we tried clearing brush so we could see into the hole and shoot him again. While doing this the bear came charging out snarling at about 3 feet, we each unloaded our pistols into him and he went back into the hole. It took us a while to gather the courage to look back in to see if he was dead. Once we did he was still alive and took a rifle round into the vitals at about 5 feet and finally died. Had to crawl into the hole, hook his paw with a trekking pole and drag it out. He had a few pistol rounds in the head when skinning him but none of them in the brain.
f6eecc9ca7bc7a3bfdea0da80ede9c34.jpg
865b0c33d7b5c5c94d565df1ca69f49d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Reactions: HAP

Spike elk

WKR
We had a crazy experience in 2019 with a Black bear. Tracked a wounded one and lost blood. About an hour later I look under an uprooted tree and a little glimmer of sun was letting in and I could see a back paw. Call my buddy over who shot the bear and I could hear the bear starting to breathe really heavily. Once my buddy got there we tried clearing brush so we could see into the hole and shoot him again. While doing this the bear came charging out snarling at about 3 feet, we each unloaded our pistols into him and he went back into the hole. It took us a while to gather the courage to look back in to see if he was dead. Once we did he was still alive and took a rifle round into the vitals at about 5 feet and finally died. Had to crawl into the hole, hook his paw with a trekking pole and drag it out. He had a few pistol rounds in the head when skinning him but none of them in the brain.
f6eecc9ca7bc7a3bfdea0da80ede9c34.jpg
865b0c33d7b5c5c94d565df1ca69f49d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
That story has some pucker factor! What caliber where your sidearms?