Belated FNG - WI

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Wasn't aware of this section so a belated hi to all, from WI. Still-hunt/track Northwoods WI with my son, but hoping for many western hunts ahead. Really grateful for the wealth of information here.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Welcome. I'm originality from southern Wi. spent a lot of time chasing grouse in Northern Wi. First up near Phillips, then more recently over in Sawyer county.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

Welcome. I live near the Fox Valley. The valley is exceptional for Walleye fishing, but my heart is in the northern 1/3 of the state, where I love grouse hunting. Used to love deer hunting, too, but it's gotten so poor with deer numbers in our neck of the Northwoods that I've all but given up. Have gone on DIY western hunts for many years and hope to do so for many more.

OP
Leverwalker

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome. I live near the Fox Valley. The valley is exceptional for Walleye fishing, but my heart is in the northern 1/3 of the state, where I love grouse hunting. Used to love deer hunting, too, but it's gotten so poor with deer numbers in our neck of the Northwoods that I've all but given up. Have gone on DIY western hunts for many years and hope to do so for many more.
Thanks! My wife and I love to fish for walleye but here it's pretty hit or miss, sometimes we hit on the lower WI river & Black Earth Creek - I hear nothing but great things for it up your way.

I'm half wondering anymore whether it's even worth hunting up in that area any longer, given what I hear from you and so many others. 2015-2016, tons of sign and a good buck only about 1.5 miles east of the Morgan Falls parking lot - N. of St. Peter's Dome, just across the creek. He busted us and we tracked him back over the creek at a pinch point, and he just stood right out in the open at about 25 yards. Even more sign in the Marengo Semi-Primitive, which I wanted to go back to with my son this year, but again that was 2015. This is my first year back, after a long slog back physically. Getting the sense a lot has changed, even in just the last several years.

Just need to roam, outside of starting on farmland bowhunting decades ago now, always been drawn to still hunting and tracking in bigger woods with few people around. So beautiful up that way. Shame, but grateful to be with my son nonetheless.