Below sea level to Idaho

tbrenan

FNG
Hello,

My name is Tim. My dad, brother and myself are planning a hunt in September to the Salmon area. We will be going on Elk A tags for an archery hunt. Any advice and tips would always be greatly appreciated. I'm a 100% disabled, Navy special operations vet that needs something yearly to look forward to since getting outof the military and now being completely bored out of my mind. With that said, I have already started getting myself back into the best shape I can. Always looking for a challenge.

This is my first elk hunt and I'm pumped and still have 9 months to go. Reach out to me if you can assist with any info. I plan to do my due diligence starting now to get ahead as much as I can. Traveling from New Orleans is going to be a haul but hopefully well worth it.

Thanks

Tim

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to rokslide Tim. Thank you for your service hopefully someone here can help you out.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
Welcome to the Rokslide. Never forget.

Lots of super info here with lots of experience guys that are willing to help. Idaho Fish and Game are usually quite helpful, too. Narrow down the areas that you are looking towards and use lots of computer help, ie; Google Earth. As one who travels west most years from 270' above Sea level, getting in shape is REQUIRED, and then I still try to get there a few days early to try and assimilate. Be careful.... elk hunting is EXTREMELY addicting. I've been planning for next year ever since I started my truck to head home from Idaho last October 31!

Good luck!

OP
T

tbrenan

FNG
I apprciate that. Me too! Seems like a wealth of knowledge just on this site.

- - - Updated - - -

@elkguide pretty sure I'm already addicted and haven't even stepped off on my first hunt. I'm just ave a passion
about the outdoors and pursuing wildlife.

Hello,

My name is Tim. My dad, brother and myself are planning a hunt in September to the Salmon area. We will be going on Elk A tags for an archery hunt. Any advice and tips would always be greatly appreciated. I'm a 100% disabled, Navy special operations vet that needs something yearly to look forward to since getting outof the military and now being completely bored out of my mind. With that said, I have already started getting myself back into the best shape I can. Always looking for a challenge.

This is my first elk hunt and I'm pumped and still have 9 months to go. Reach out to me if you can assist with any info. I plan to do my due diligence starting now to get ahead as much as I can. Traveling from New Orleans is going to be a haul but hopefully well worth it.

Thanks

Tim

I believe Kevin Leukens (gunsmith in Cascade) and Bruce Cooper (ID Dept. of Corrections) do wounded warrior hunts in Salmon.

DocD5150

FNG
Hello,

Thanks

Tim
Hey Tim,
Hows it going there? What part of Idaho are you in? Or are you just traveling to Idaho? Just curious, what "Special Ops" were you in the Navy? I did 7 years as a Navy Corpsman. I'm also 100% SC.

FlyGuy

WKR
Welcome Tim. I don’t know that area but I hunted in the Lemhi zone last year for the first time. It was steep and rugged. I was born and raised in Gonzales, LA (now in Houston area) so I know what you mean about the altitude adjustments.

Sorry I can’t help you much with details but still just wanted to reach out. I too need something to look forward to to keep me motivated, and for me it is all archery elk. My best advice is to not get swept up in judging the success of the hunt on taking home an animal, that can just lead to making it stressful instead of rewarding. Work as hard as you can, but enjoy the slow days on the mountain too. Enjoy all of it. The training you are doing now, the cold mornings, the mistakes and bad decisions, the “I just needed him to take one more step” moments and all the inevitable failures along the way. They can seem so frustrating in the moment and look like roadblocks to success, but after a while when you look back on it they are all just part of the story. Good luck to you!

You can’t cheat the mountain

OP
T

tbrenan

FNG
Hey Tim,
Hows it going there? What part of Idaho are you in? Or are you just traveling to Idaho? Just curious, what "Special Ops" were you in the Navy? I did 7 years as a Navy Corpsman. I'm also 100% SC.
@DocD5150

Sorry for the late response. I was EOD. I'm coming from New Orleans. Nice! We had a really awesome doc with us. So yea, just traveling up. Headed to unit 21 in Sept

OP
T

tbrenan

FNG
Welcome Tim. I don’t know that area but I hunted in the Lemhi zone last year for the first time. It was steep and rugged. I was born and raised in Gonzales, LA (now in Houston area) so I know what you mean about the altitude adjustments.

Sorry I can’t help you much with details but still just wanted to reach out. I too need something to look forward to to keep me motivated, and for me it is all archery elk. My best advice is to not get swept up in judging the success of the hunt on taking home an animal, that can just lead to making it stressful instead of rewarding. Work as hard as you can, but enjoy the slow days on the mountain too. Enjoy all of it. The training you are doing now, the cold mornings, the mistakes and bad decisions, the “I just needed him to take one more step” moments and all the inevitable failures along the way. They can seem so frustrating in the moment and look like roadblocks to success, but after a while when you look back on it they are all just part of the story. Good luck to you!

You can’t cheat the mountain

@FlyGuy Awesome. Yea, I'm super pumped. I just really went with an area I liked on a map. I tried to look for info in the forums about it, but for every good thing said about the area, there were 10 bad things to go along with it. So, I just figured for my first elk hunt that I was just going to pick one place and go with it.

Thanks again. Hopefully, I will have a good update come September.