Belt Pockets???

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think that FHFG guy does custom work. Might be a long wait, but from what we all read on here it is good stuff. I'd like to try his stuff some day and he might be an option worth trying...

I've been debating buying the KUIU bags (as they are a decent value) and then modifying them as needed. I think a guy could sew some tab loops across the back fairly easily. ??? The Mt Laurel bags look like a similar option....

I tried sliding those kuiu pouches on my DS and they fit real nice. It was snug but not real tigh, wished it was a little tighter. They stick on the kuiu pack with velcro. If you sewed some velcro onto your DS it would work perfect. I have been planning on doing it with a couple vias pouches.

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
I talked to Paul (FHF) and he can make any pouches you want but he is still trying to catch up with all the orders so it will be a couple months at least. The bright side is he was so helpful that I'm putting in my order for his bino harness with the range finder pouch.

In the mean time, I ordered a set of the Kuiu belt pouches and I am going to give those a shot. I might even order the MLD and those other Maxpedition pouches and see what works best. I already have a camera pouch from Maxpedition and it seems pretty solid.

When I get everything I will take some picture and post what I find.

Wrongside

WKR
They should stretch over that behemoth of a belt, we can try mine next time you stop by.

Sounds good, thanks.

I checked them out when I had them in hand, but thought they'd maybe loose all or most of their volume stretching into place on the MR belt.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Those look nice but it says they are 48cui> That is super small.

Except for the attachment option I really like the KUIU pockets. Like even more that they are fairly priced.

Yeah its not huge, just large enough to hold some chapstick and a point and shoot camera. On the other side of my waistbelt I use a large KU possibles pouch. Its just with the way I mount my rifle to my pack on the waistbelt if I want to have a belt pouch on the rifle side its gotta be small.

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
So I ended up with all three brands - MLD, Kuiu and Maxpedition. Here are my initial thoughts:

- The MLD are well built and come with some pretty slick plastic clips however they are a bit small for my needs and the small elastic bands on the back to go around the belt look like they might not last.
Comp.jpgComp back.jpg

- The Kuiu are nice and look pretty cool (1.2oz). The sleeve that goes around the belt is full width so I think they would last and stay put for the most part. They are also on the small size (maybe slightly larger than the MLDs) and I think if I kept them I would switch the right and left sides so the zipper pull would be towards the pack when closed. That way I could attach them better and pulling the zipper open would be easier/faster.
Kuiu.jpgKuiu back.jpg

- The Maxpediton are built really stout and 2-3 times as heavy (3.5oz) as the others. They are also a bit larger, have a zippered pocket on the front and 2 slot pockets inside - they other 2 are just the pouch. I like these the best because of the over all size and bit more organization.
Max.jpg

*Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.