Belt Suggestions; Experience with the new Kifaru belt?

Carlin59

WKR
I've decided I need a new belt after a season dissatified with the BlackOvis belt (that is similiar to many other belts on the market). The buckle is too bulky, and slips too much for my liking. What is everyone's favorite belt for under a packbelt, that doesn't slip? The updated Kifaru belt is intriguing; anyone with firsthand experience?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions and shared experiences.

Cody

Gumbo

WKR
I replaced my thick leather belt this year with a First Lite nylon field belt. Doesn't slip and is comfortable under a backpack belt. I did have to add some electrical tape to the buckle to keep from getting a rash on my belly.

Brendan

WKR
I replaced my thick leather belt this year with a First Lite nylon field belt. Doesn't slip and is comfortable under a backpack belt. I did have to add some electrical tape to the buckle to keep from getting a rash on my belly.

I have the black First Lite Nylon Belt with Metal Buckle, it doesn't stay tight worth a damn for me. I'm still looking for one that will myself.

I have the old Kifaru belt and the new one.

Tho old one was always slipping. The new one never slips and is comfortable under a pack belt.

But, the firstlite suspenders givin to me by a fellow rokslider (CRHUNTITALL) are the ducks nuts, by far the most comfortable way to keep your pants up!

I wear a belt I made myself out of 1.5" Krytpek webbing that has a nylon loop at one end and the other end is covered with Hypalon, secured with hook & loop. Very low profile, I've made them for my girlfriend and a buddy, everyone loves them for ease of use and comfort.

jestanw1

FNG
I know people hate on Kuiu alot on these forums but I own multiples of their belt because it is the best belt I have ever owned, it has not even thought about slipping on me and has been very comfortable to wear under a pack. The buckle is smaller then the others I have tried and is more of an oval teardrop shape instead of a square or rectangle. I have tried the firstlite, blackovis and older kifaru that has been mentioned in this thread, I have zero reasons to move away from the kuiu belt. Im not a kuiu fanboy and only own two pieces of kuiu gear and that is the belts and the yukon gators. I still have the firstlite belt that I could probably send your way for cheap if you were interested in trying it. As much as it pains me to tell someone to buy a kuiu product I would just buy the kuiu belt and forget about it.

OP
Carlin59

Carlin59

WKR
Great suggestions so far everyone, thanks! I think the full rigger belts are more heavy-duty than I'm looking for in this application. This belt will really just be for holding up pants, with a key criteria being comfort under a pack belt. I have it narrowed down to the Kuiu, new Kifaru, and Bison Designs danger belt. What is everyone's opinion on webbing diameter? The Kifaru and Bison Designs are both 1.5", the Kuiu is 1". The Black Ovis belt i have now is 1.5", and I don't have any complaints with that width specifically. However, since I'm hoping this belt will be small, light, and unobtrusive, should I weight the 1" of the Kuiu as a plus? Any other thoughts on 1" vs. 1.5" for a belt that doesn't need to support a holster/tools, just hold up pants?

Arc'teryx conveyor and simms river tek belts are the best I have used. The simms is the thinnest one and does not cause any pressure points under a backpack waist belt

GKPrice

Banned
Since my favorite leather belts now rub my lower back just right to make it more sore than it already is went on the search for a new nylon version - Tried Sitka first, buckle slips - Tried Kuiu, too tedious to adjust buckle - Likewise, tried 'em all, not satisfied .... THEN I found "Bison" brand at SW with a bottle opener buckle (nice touch) that works better for me than any of the others tried, inexpensive too - BISON is a common brand I've found, Amazon sells them too ....

KUIU works great for me and adjusts just fine once it is broken in. Only belt I like to wear anymore, and mine measures 1-1/2" wide, not 1" as stated in a post above (although they may sell a narrow model too?). It works fine under a Kifaru pack belt.....lots of miles on the belt over the past 5 or so years.

OP
Carlin59

Carlin59

WKR
I see older references to the Kuiu belt being 1.5"/38mm. The one currently on the website states 1"/25mm, so it looks like they must have updated the design. Are the Kuiu/Bison design belts essentially the same concept as a standard webbing tri-glide?

You could say the kuiu is basically a tri glide. When you double it back that is really what locks it down. I like my kuiu belt 1.5" model but found the Eddie Bauer guide belt I think it is beats all others. It is stretchy 1" wide and has a metal hook that goes through a sewn loop. Pretty much a tri glide on the end.