Bench set ups?

Baddog

WKR
Been thinking about updating my shooting bags and rest for shooting off the bench. Looking at the protekor front rest and bags. Lots of options. Anyone got any advice?

rayporter

WKR
they are great bags. i shoot protector bags in competition as do many others. fill with plain play sand.

the rest is another story. you can spend as much as you want there - way over a thou.
old bald eagle rests are great if you can find a used one. i dont think much of the new ones but they are likely ok for most shooters. if you really want special put a shade tree top on the bald eagle. it has a joy stick.

a Sinclair rest is tops if you want to spend more. if you want cheap the caldwells do work ok.

rayporter

WKR
i will add that if you just want to use bags and no rest it will work but you will need several smaller bags to raise and lower your front bag. sometimes i do this if i am lazy and dont want to drag out a real rest.

rayporter

WKR
there are trade offs in size and weight and cost.

a rest will be much easier to use and adapt to different rifles or shotguns.
it will adjust up and down and sideways if you get a windage adjust. the rest has to have a bag on it and you choose the width and shape of the bag. if you are going to shoot a couple times a month you would be happy with a rest.. bench technique is important with each. holding the rifle or shooting free recoil and such count.

better? how much do you shoot and what results do you want?

a stack of bags for the front and a good rear bag will work for sighting in for season quite well.

OP
B

Baddog

WKR
I’ve just been getting into shooting a little more and buying more guns. Currently just using a cheap caldwell bag on front and a towel or sweatshirt under the rear. Got some guns that shoot under an inch and figure a good set up might tighten them up a little more. Is there a book or web page on proper form. I just do whatever feels right but I’m sure technique is key, just like any sport.

Lawnboi

WKR
Are we talking f class shooting or just getting better with your hunting rifle?

If it’s just a hunting gun, grab a Harris bipod and a decent rear bag and your off. Those cheap Caldwell bags are junk

rayporter

WKR
here are a rear bag and 2 front bags the small one is to put on a rest.

Last edited: