Benchmade Altitude Scales

LBuchser

WKR
Well, I just made my first set of scales ever. They were for my Benchmade Altitude. I love the knife, even with the factory configuration. However, if you're breaking down big game (Elk, Moose, Griz etc), your palm will start to get sore and many have complained about that. But the weight savings and blade quality are so incredibly hard to beat.

That S90V steel is absolutely amazing. It holds an edge forever but if you cant comfortably hold the knife the whole time, then what's the point of spending that type of money?

Problem: The Altitude's ergos needed to be addressed and no one makes an aftermarket set of scales for it. Well, not that I could find.

Solution: A few dollars worth of material and some fun time in the garage.

Results: 3 times the grip thickness and added texture, while still relatively maintaining the same weight (1.7oz), not voiding the Benchmade warranty and in my opinion still maintaining the sleek and rugged look that some of us appreciate about the Altitude.

I'd love to hear your opinions: Good, Bad or otherwise.

The first picture is of course of the stock configuration.
20191219_115022.jpg20191219_113922.jpg20191219_121148.jpg

Last edited:

prm

WKR
Looks great! The Altitude is my go to hunting knife. I haven’t had a problem with the knife as-is, but your mod would only make a good thing better from what I can see.

Beendare

WKR
I just picked one of these up and gave it a test run in AZ on a couple animals- amazing steel. A buddy is the Benchmade rep......

I've always been a fan of scales....not sure what I'm going to do with this one as I didn't have an issue with this in the stock config. plus its so easy to clean. Feather light, Unbelievable steel....a once in a lifetime knife for sure. I love it that mine is orange....easy to spot.

I have a few other particle steel knives....... S90v is my new favorite steel.

OP
LBuchser

LBuchser

WKR
How could the weight be the same? You added material???

Depending on cost you probably have a decent side hustle there.

First off, thank you guys for the feedback. I'm looking forward to testing it out soon.

BRTreedogs: That's a legit question. Honestly, I'm just not a "gram" counter. I'm more of an ounce counter (or a tenth of an ounce counter). When it came to weighing it, they both weighed in at 1.7 ounces. I'm sure there is a few grams of a difference one way or another. The stock Carbon Thumb/Index ramp (not sure what else to call that) has a thicker overall profile and it has two, stainless steel, anti-pivot studs inside. 99% (not a scientific calculation there) of the knife's weight is in the blade and tang obviously. The scales (stock or custom) are such a minutely small part of the weight. But now you have me curious about the grams.

Haha yeah guess I forgot about grams.
Heck I don't worry about onces to much.
Sure I wanna be light. But I just try pick stuff that works and not worry.

Looks great.

OP
LBuchser

LBuchser

WKR
Haha yeah that's how I am!

Order of Priorities:

#1 - It works the best
#2 - It looks the best
#3 - Its better than my hunting partner's
#4 - Its Lightweight (so I can make weight on the Cub flights)
#5 - It fits the budget

#5 should probably be #1 but let's face it, then most of us wouldnt have half the gear we have now!

feanor

WKR
Great looking addition. Fit and finish looks very well done. But gosh...i just cant swing that extra weight. =)

OP
LBuchser

LBuchser

WKR
Great looking addition. Fit and finish looks very well done. But gosh...i just cant swing that extra weight. =)

Hahaha yeah! You gotta make sacrifices somewhere!! Not sure if the juice is worth squeeze on that weight addition! ;)

mcseal2

WKR
I can testify those scales work very well. I used the Altitude pictured to skin out the head on my caribou and for some of the other finer jobs where I wanted a smaller blade. It was much easier to hold and maneuver, even in low teen temps with high wind and humidity. We took care of our heads on our last day in camp, spent the rest of the day holed up in the tent. I would not have wanted to do that with the factory metal against my hands, or used all the leverage I needed to with that thin handle.

My postage scale shows the knife at 2.6oz with the sheath and scales, not bad at all.

OP
LBuchser

LBuchser

WKR
Not anymore. I made a couple sets for a few guys but the time invested just isnt worth it right now. Sorry. I'll let you know if I change my mind.