Benchmade Bugout for hunting duties?

Anyone have experience with a benchmade bugout for gutting and breaking down an animal? Any other lightweight options for this task? I can get the bugout in m4 steel about to pull the trigger.. my criteria is a folder because I don’t need the added sheath weight fold it up and keep it in the bag, lightweight, edge longevity.
I currently use a lightweight buck 110 it’s cheap and light but the edge will barely finish the field work (gut, skin, quarter) on a moose but again it’s cheap so I carry 1 in my bag and few in the hunt camp they work but it looses its edge towards the end. Looking to upgrade to only needing 1 knife to process a moose (gut skin quater) the bugout seems to fit the criteria

Last edited:

Jbehredt

WKR
Always have one in my pocket. It’s not my primary tool for field dressing but it’s made quite a few cuts. Do it. Buy two actually. You’ll want another for edc.

Htm84

WKR
I used one to gut and skin a deer a couple years ago. My buddy forgot a knife and I keep one in a first aid/ utility kit that I always bring. Worked fine. Probably my favorite little knife.

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
I got a bugout for Father's day, used it on a couple deer now. Works great, not too hard to clean all the nooks and crannies afterwards. Very similar blade size and shape to the altitude. In fact if I didn't already have an altitude, I would be good just rolling with the bugout.
c828769318444930cb74fbc74bc98f84.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think you will be happy with the Benchmade. They make a nice knife. I have the mini-barrage and I sure like that knife. It's blade is just slightly less than 3" and it worked on a deer and my grizzly bear last year. Western Hunter ran my story I sent in to them (really excited and surprised about it) and one of the gifts you get as a contributor is a Benchmade grizzly Ridge. I have not used it but it looks solid and like the Bugout it's not too large to carry clipped in a pocket and yet is large enough to take care of game nicely. I think it's going to be a good one.
1606443025434.png

This is a bit larger than the mini-barrage and has a 3 1/2" long blade. It looks like it will be simple to clean as well. This would be a good one too. I like the size and blade shape. It's well thought out.

sndmn11

WKR
In M4? Heck yes, M4 is an outstanding steel for field processing. The downfall with the Bugout is the handle isn't lined with any metal, so it is strictly a slicer and not a twister or whacker.

fbhandler

WKR
Just to let folks know... you can slightly customize a bugout over on the Benchmade website (upgraded steel/scale color etc.). I think I’m going to grab one with with the 20cv blade steel, I like that there options.

Last edited:
Will I need diamonds stones to sharpen m4?
Probably. I prefer a lower angle bevel than comes stock on the benchmade. I reprofiled my standard bugout and went full gutless method when I boned out a bull elk this year with it. When I got back to the truck it would still rough shave hair.

Can you get the bug out with Orange scales? I like the visibility in the woods while field dressing a deer.

ttubudd

FNG
Can you get the bug out with Orange scales? I like the visibility in the woods while field dressing a deer.
Flytanium also makes awesome replacement scales if you're looking for other options.

I have a bugout and mini bug out. Use both all the time. Love them.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Flytanium also makes awesome replacement scales if you're looking for other options.

I have a bugout and mini bug out. Use both all the time. Love them.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Do you use them for field dressing animals?

Buck197

WKR
I saw the threads about customizing Benchmades, I have 3 storeboughts and ive been hapoy with them, so reading one thread on here I saw they sent emails with video photos and such so decided to pull the trigger. Apparently how theyte doing has changed, I guess do to the Virus crap. I ordered it last Sunday and kept looking it still showed processing and even the website says it normally processes within 24 hrs, so I called today and the lady said itll show processing until its complete. So just a heads up on the customs, it sounds as if theyre running a week or two slower now too, no biggie.