Benchmade Bugout Is Legit!

I just got a mini freek, its spendy and i think it weighs 2.74oz, but it has s90v steel and is a beautiful knife. Really like it, i usually carry the giant osborne proxy for my edc which i love but its pretty heavy so I usually just bring my altitude and goat knife hunting. The mini freek is definitely light enough to come with me into the backcountry. I had a bugout and i dropped it in the river first week i had it lol

JonS

WKR
What profile did you take it to? I’ve got an orange handled mini bugout that I’m diggin on! Debating putting the spyderco sharpmaker on it and calling it good unless you’ve got better ideas. General pocket knife and maybe as a cleaning tool on big game and hopefully lots of birds this fall with the new pup!

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
What profile did you take it to? I’ve got an orange handled mini bugout that I’m diggin on!
I don't know the exact angle, just went to a shallower edge angle so that it's more slicy.
I’m looking at doing a custom in the 20cv steel,anyone input on that steel.
I like the Benchmade 20cv steel, but I'm basing that off family members using it, not personal experience. The standard bugout just hasn't let me down in any way so I can't justify stepping up in steel quality right now.

xcutter

WKR
Bought a bugout last week at Smokey Mountain Knife Works in Sevieville, TN. They offer a model with Titanium scales. Great feeling knife.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Thinking about replacing my Benchmade Altitude and Mini Grip with a Bugout.

I like having a folder for convenience, which is why I take the Mini Grip. However, the blade shape and handle length are not ideal. The Altitude is great for game, but the handle does not have enough meat to be comfortable for tasks that take some force. I'm thinking the Bugout will address those issues while being lighter than either of the other two.

While you can still find Bugouts with M4, S90V, and M390, I think I will just go with S30V. S90V chips out a little more than I like and hunting in wet environments the M4 does not resist corrosion well enough. M4 is is very tempting though.

Mnash

FNG
How has the size been? I’m trying to decide between a full size and a mini. Will probably carry a fixed blade on hunts so won’t need it for gutting or skinning necessarily. More as an edc

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
As an EDC, assuming it will not be asked to do heavy cutting, the mini would be my choice. The full sized Bugout fills the hand better if doing things that need some force.

bsnedeker

WKR
I've got the s90v bugout. Best EDC knife ever, but it's a pita to clean after using it on game.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
and you can get them in orange :)

8yfJ2v5.jpg

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I've got the s90v bugout. Best EDC knife ever, but it's a pita to clean after using it on game.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
I'm hoping Benchmade offer's one in Magnacut. I like the design and weight of the Bugout more, but a Hogue Deka with Magnacut blade and G10 scales is my EDC at the moment. The plastic scales that come on the Magnacut Deca are real junk though.

A Magnacut reblade of the Bugout would be $200 to $300. If long term I like the Magnacut on the Deka I may eventually break down and reblade the Bugout.

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm hoping Benchmade offer's one in Magnacut. I like the design and weight of the Bugout more, but a Hogue Deka with Magnacut blade and G10 scales is my EDC at the moment. The plastic scales that come on the Magnacut Deca are real junk though.

A Magnacut reblade of the Bugout would be $200 to $300. If long term I like the Magnacut on the Deka I may eventually break down and reblade the Bugout.
I'll be interested to hear your long term opinion on Magnacut...it's a very interesting steel. Looks like a really tough steel with great corrosion resistance, but looks like it isn't great at holding an edge. Edge retention is the most important thing to me as I have very little tolerance for using dull knives, especially when cutting up a critter.

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
How has the size been? I’m trying to decide between a full size and a mini. Will probably carry a fixed blade on hunts so won’t need it for gutting or skinning necessarily. More as an edc
Love the full size. I'd even be interested in an XL size, honestly!

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
Bumping this thread has got me pondering an upgraded bugout...

20cv... upgrade to some aftermarket washers to eliminate all blade slop... orange handle... new knife smell...

Thanks a lot, fellas!

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone seen their new knife that's based off of the buyout? I believe it's called the 'Taggedout'. Thumb hole instead of a stud, clip point, CPM-154. I've been super happy with my bugout but it looks pretty slick

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
Anyone seen their new knife that's based off of the buyout? I believe it's called the 'Taggedout'. Thumb hole instead of a stud, clip point, CPM-154. I've been super happy with my bugout but it looks pretty slick
I thought it looked kinda gimmicky, personally. Not a super steel, not a sheepsfoot blade (The only shape worth a thumb hole in my snobbish opinion, lol), and it doesn't give you anything the Bugout doesn't.

Alloy

FNG
Love Benchmade. Been carrying a folder of theirs foe the past 20 years with no issues.

I always carried a carbon 940. I'm edcing a carbon bugout for the last few months and like it. Still like the 940 too. JUST CANT DECIDE!!!!!