Benchmade Bugout Is Legit!

BBob

WKR
Guys that have a bugout - how does it compare to the griptilian?
About half the weight, a fair amount thinner and blade is slightly thinner. It's not quite as solid in the scales/handle laterally. I don't think that takes much away from it though unless you are using it to pry on stuff but you probably aren't doing that with a griptillian either. As noted above it's a trimmer knife to have in your pocket.

mcseal2

WKR
I have both the Bugout and Altitude. Lay the Altitude on top of the Bugout and the blade size and shape is almost identical. I can’t see why they would work any different on game other than the steel difference. To me the Bugout is more comfortable to grip and use than a stock Altitude. I got custom scales put on my Altitude and it feels great now.

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
Guys that have a bugout - how does it compare to the griptilian?
The bugout is smaller than the full size griptillian. It sits about halfway between the grip and mini-grip in size. It's lighter than the mini-grip, and the handle is slimmer, but longer. So it fills my hand in a friendlier fashion.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Benchmade Hidden Canyon and it just isn't as sharp as I'd like. Reprofiling the blade sounds like a great idea, how did you do it?

OP
Trumpkin The Dwarf
I have a Benchmade Hidden Canyon and it just isn't as sharp as I'd like. Reprofiling the blade sounds like a great idea, how did you do it?
Do you reprofile your own blades on these knives or take it somewhere?

I bought a DMT sharpening kit for about $50. It has two double sided diamond stones, one is coarse/fine and the other is extra fine/extra extra fine. It also comes with a plastic jig that clamps onto the blade, and a guide rod that attaches to the stone with a magnet. I set the angle I want, color the bevel with sharpie, then just go to work with the coarse stone until all the sharpie is gone from both sides. After that I step down through the fine/xfine/xxfine stones trying to keep the total strokes per side equal, so that the edge remains centered. I finish with very light strokes, and occasionally will strop on a piece of leather if I feel like it.

Aw25833

FNG
The bugout is next on my list. Benchmade makes great knives. I bought 1 finally a couple years ago and next thing you know I've got 5 of them.

BryceB

FNG
I have always preferred smaller pocket knives for edc. I think the bugout mini is going to right in my sweet spot. Can’t wait to get my hands on one. I do have an older mini griptilian that has always been a favorite but I think the thinner profile of the bugout will be a little nicer.

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider
I never understood why someone would pay more than $40-50 for a pocket knife until I got a bugout.. now I want more

boom

WKR
to be honest, i have been carrying another knife. i was shocked it dethroned my Bugout. been about a year now. i LOVE the bugout, dont get me wrong. but..we like what we like.

i'll put the BO back in rotation someday.

my last EDC was the mini griptillian, it was ok but wasn't pleased with the blade steel... like i do, i lost it somewhere... i replaced it with the Emissary, same blade steel as the bugout (sv30) and it's a dandy little knife. for pocket knives, it's always benchmade for me.

i have an altitude too, but it got kicked out of my hunting pack and was replaced with a Dalstrong Shogun marketed as a paring knife, but works great on game.... it is the best blade steel i have ever encountered, and i am a knife junky... it's awesome steel.... crazy good edge retention and easy to get back to razor sharp quick.

i didn't like the edge retention vs ease of sharpening on the altitude.... it doesn't stay sharp for a whole elk and is tough to field sharpen.... still a cool knife, just not what i had hoped

sd375

Lil-Rokslider
I went back and forth on the mini grip vs the bugout for a long time (thanks to all who weighed in here). Really liked the trim fit of the bugout, but didn’t like how it felt in my hand as well as the mini grip. Pretty easy to find a mini grip in s30v around here and that’s what I went with.

woods89

WKR
Now that hunting seasons are winding down, I'd like to know how one of these works as a primary knife for quartering in the field. I've been thinking about getting one of these and just keeping it in my bino harness. My fixed blades always wind up in my pack somewhere as I can't wear a sheath on my belt. I'd probably carry my Havalon for backup and assistance but I get tired of throwing blades away.......