Benchmade Mini Crooked River.

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Hi,

I am new to the world of higher end knives. In the past I have used Moravik, Havalon and Buck Knives in the field. Nothing wrong with them but I figured a good quality hunting knife I can pass on to our son would be really nice. I was thinking the Benchmade Mini Crooked River. It seems damn near ideal for field dressing/quartering animals in the field and I like that it has some wood. Normally I wouldn't care about the wood handle but with idea of someday passing it on I thought it might be a nice option. I also like the idea of being able to get something special engraved. Maybe a date or quote.

My question is, for those who had custom engraving done on a BM knife, were you happy with it?

Are there any other knife manufactures that I should consider for this type of application?

Cheers,

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
One other question, should it be easy enough to get any knife blade engraved?

rcb2000

WKR
Just had that knife gifted to me, I returned it.
Way overpriced for what it is,( $300)
If you want a folding Benchmade get the Bugout.
If you like that blade shape a Buck 110 is great.

Other options to consider:
Spyderco Para 3 lightweight
Benchmade Bugout
Benchmade tagged out

Last edited:
OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Many more options if you’re open to a fixed blade..
Thanks for the reply. I want the knife to be something I pass onto my kid one day, but make use of in the meantime. I am open to fixed blades. Its primary use would be field dressing and quartering deer. I have only begun the search and am not set on anything. My priorities are fit and quality, I’m not too concerned about weight.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I really like Benchmade, the Bugout is a phenomenal folder. However, if you want to pass a knife on something like a Chris Reeves or a custom knife is the way to go.

Bark River makes nice looking knives, but they are sloppy with blanks and more than a few people have gotten knives made out of much cheaper steel than is marked on the blade, so I cannot recommend them.

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the suggestions. There is a knife store in the nearest city that has all these options for me to at least see in person. The Chris Reeves look really nice! I don't think I could spend that much on myself, but if I could pass it on it could be worth it!

2-Stix

WKR
I have a few benchmades, bucks and case. The mini crooked river, mini bug out, and the steep canyon. I use them all. All sizes and shapes. That bench made steep canyon is the real deal and mini bug out on value for a s30v steel and the weight. I also like an orange knife I won't loose in the field. Then I run a few bucks for bigger fixed for camp work. I just got a few buck 110 folders with a plastic handle for like $30 bucks. I will pass those on to the kids...that 420 steel holds up very well if you stay up on it and dont let it get dull. And I dont care if they get lost for 30 bucks. I do agree that the mini crooked river is over priced. I got mine for $200 on sale. But it is very very high quality fit and finish and awesome. Its not real wood, its a composite for stability. I hunt with a orange case trapper and the bm steep canyon. That gives me 3 blades. I size my knives accordingly to the game I am hunting. I keep an extra knife at all times in my binos.

Last edited:
OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the feedback. I need to get my hands on some to check them out in person.

How's this for something unique and very well made. RUANA KNIVES : Started in Missoula Montana in 1938 by Rudy Ruana. Still made one at a time by his grandsons Mike & Mark Hangus. My personal favorites are the Steelhead and the 5AD.

Camp+Hatchet.png

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
I got my mini crooked river for half off through the Navy Exchange. Not sure if you're eligible for that, but they have sales often.

It's a very nice knife, and definitely a timeless design. Like a grown up, modern Buck knife. But not worth $300.

I gifted a crooked river to someone on their 60th birthday. That was about 6 years ago and he still carries it everyday. Quality is fantastic. Dont know about quality of engraving at benchmade hq. I have used bladehq.com in the past and they have great engraving options.

jraugie1

FNG
I just scored an open box Crooked River for less than $200 at REI of all places. I really like it.

The top knife is one I had engraved from Buck Knives to give to one of my boys one day. I think I paid $90 shipped from Buck (USA made in Idaho). They did a nice job and I've had no problems with it it fading, etc. after use.

The lower knife is the one my dad used to open boxes on a delivery route he ran just before I was born. That knife is a cheap Case that's almost 40 years old and probably the knife that holds the most sentiment and value to me (he passed away a couple of years ago).

While you obviously want something more than the $5 special at your local box store, you also don't need to drop loads of cash on a 'nice knife'. The fact that it was yours is what will stick with the person you give it to.
IMG_6863.JPG