Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner for Elk

No personal experience but I bought one for a buddy a couple years ago. He's used it on 4 deer I believe now and is really impressed with it. Benchmade come with a really good sharp factory edge, but it not in the same park as I am able to get on one. I put my magic touch on it and well it cuts. He barely touched his hand with it and ended up with a nice cut.

brn2hnt

WKR
Hi Forum!

My dad and I hunt Roosies in Coastal WA and I’m looking for a new knife! I’m very excited about the https://www.benchmade.com/15002-1-saddle-mountain-skinner.html and I’m wondering if anyone has used this on elk and what your experiences have been!

thanks!

Love mine. Got 10% off from an outfit in Northern CA, I’ll see if I can find the code if you’d like.

Got through an entire elk without needing to resharpen, and I like the size compared to the hidden canyon.

Only problem is the leather sheath from reviews I’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
I had the joy of breaking down my first solo bull with one. Was glad I had a “real” knife that morning!

mmac

WKR
I have the first generation model with the s30v steel. I have had 3 buddies now get them and all have nothing but great things to say.

OP
A

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
I’m happy to hear such great feedback! Any alternatives I should consider? Money not REALLY an object unless it’s of course obscenely expensive but the goal is to have a knife I can pass down to our kids

OP
A

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
Love mine. Got 10% off from an outfit in Northern CA, I’ll see if I can find the code if you’d like.

Got through an entire elk without needing to resharpen, and I like the size compared to the hidden canyon.

Only problem is the leather sheath from reviews I’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! I have a discount code too!

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I tend to gravitate towards the steep country for an all purpose knife but I’ve broken down a few deer and a bison with one, it’s a great knife!

I have one and really enjoy it. I have tried the replaceable blade knifes and still carry one when I hunt as a back up, but when the animal hits the ground I predominantly use my Saddle Mountain. I love the way it feels in the hand, and the way it performs in the field. I used it on three animals this last year alone. If you look close at the hip (I circled it) of the cow I got last November, you can see my Saddle Mountain sitting there. I had actually skinned a good portion of her but realized I hadn’t taken a pic yet and flopped the hide back over for the picture.

Attachments

• 182C9F9D-A026-45CE-B4BB-82A86BAFD68C.jpeg
    182C9F9D-A026-45CE-B4BB-82A86BAFD68C.jpeg
    540.8 KB · Views: 98

Lando

WKR
I just picked one up for $120 and free engraving here:

and I really like the looks of it, but haven't used it to break anything down. Tough to beat for that price.

brn2hnt

WKR
I’m happy to hear such great feedback! Any alternatives I should consider? Money not REALLY an object unless it’s of course obscenely expensive but the goal is to have a knife I can pass down to our kids
The main knife I alternate with now is the Hidden Canyon Hunter.

Love the size for backpacking, and the blade profile is just about perfect for me. Was wavering between that and the Argali (serac?) and just ended up getting a smoker of a deal on the benchmade.

I don't even carry a sharpener anymore except in the truck, their little field sharpener works fine, and hard to beat the lifetime sharpening, though to be fair I think pretty much any high end company has that.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Saddle Mountain in my pack and North Fork in my pocket. Played around with the replacement blades also, but much prefer a quality solid knife.

Great knife! I used mine on 4 different elk this year. If your processing a bull I would recommend having a sharpener to touch it up a little.

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
I have four Benchmade knives including the Saddle Mtn,. and Steep Country fixed blades, and the Grizzly Ridge and Griptilean folders. They all work fine on elk.

My pack most often has the Steep Country and Griptilean on a days hunt. The Steep Country is for skinning and the more pointed blade Griptilean for entry cuts through the skin and other detail work.

The third type knife blade I like is a fillet or boning knife to cut out the backstraps and other areas where I bone out meat. The short stiff blades on my benchmade knives don't work as well for me on the loins in particular.

Operator

Lil-Rokslider
I have four Benchmade knives including the Saddle Mtn,. and Steep Country fixed blades, and the Grizzly Ridge and Griptilean folders. They all work fine on elk.

My pack most often has the Steep Country and Griptilean on a days hunt. The Steep Country is for skinning and the more pointed blade Griptilean for entry cuts through the skin and other detail work.

The third type knife blade I like is a fillet or boning knife to cut out the backstraps and other areas where I bone out meat. The short stiff blades on my benchmade knives don't work as well for me on the loins in particular.
I agree the steep mountain model is great, light and very easy to work, I am also considering a boning knife. I almost went with the saddle mountain but wanted a shorter blade easier on the wrist, hidden canyon seemed to short but I really liked it.

Have broken down two elk with mine. No complaints here. You definitely get what you pay for and a higher end knife is a great luxury when it’s time to break something big down.

Operator

Lil-Rokslider
There seems to be a concensus benchmade knives which ever model you prefer is a good choice now you guys got me looking at getting another one.