Benchmade screws

BooneAK

FNG
No need to talk about quality of steel and overall build, but I've about had it with Benchmade's Axis folders -- I have 5, only a couple in EDC. Screws have come out on multiple occasions. Is this happening to others? I assume so. Yes, I could thread lock them, but after I pay $150-270 for a folder, I don't expect to have to disassemble, thread lock, and re-assemble for the manufacturer just to get it to hold together. Second question for those of you who've had screws fall out -- has the knife ever come apart, e.g., scale fall off, clip fall off, blade separate, etc.?

qwerksc

WKR
I sent an email to benchmade, they sent me a bag of screws and spacers, no questions. Send them the knife, you are a customer and they will honor their lifetime warranty.

I don’t know anyone who owns Benchmade folders and didn’t also have to buy a micro size torx driver set.
Having said that, I like the knives. The CPM powdered steels they use. And the fit and finish.
I just add a drop of blue locktite to each screw and carry on.

mlgc20

WKR
I've had several Benchmade folders over the years and never had any screws fall out. I do always remove the clips and related screws when I get them. I just don't like clips on knives.

nobody

WKR
I don’t know anyone who owns Benchmade folders and didn’t also have to buy a micro size torx driver set.
Having said that, I like the knives. The CPM powdered steels they use. And the fit and finish.
I just add a drop of blue locktite to each screw and carry on.
I concur with this statement. Blue loctite is your friend on an axis lock folder, or an auto. Nothing wrong with the knives, just need some TLC and maintenance.

CorbLand

WKR
I have owned a couple and have lost a few screws. I never had one fall out before I would say is a reasonable time frame for something of that nature to happen. I got in the habit of checking them every once in a while.

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
Great knives and they will fix or send screws whichever makes sense. I would say they stand behind their products and very seldom do they ever have to because of the quality. That reminds me... i need to buy another

OP
B

BooneAK

FNG
Thx, all. Well, it comes down to this:
1) BM said to use Blue Locktite -- still pisses me off, but as I said, otherwise, they're great knives. No word on why they just don't do it at the factory . . .
2) It's pretty unlikely that the knife would come apart, even with a screw or two loose or missing.
3) Save yourself some trouble, get a High Life, a BM torx kit, and a good working surface and a new tube of Locktite and just cowboy up.

I've redirected my mind -- nothing is permanent or bulletproof, even pinned knives, and I guess at the end of the day I'd rather have something excellent that I can adjust and constrain (with Locktite) rather than something excellent, like a Buck 110, that can't be tightened at home.

Happy hunting!

sneaky

"DADDY"
I concur with this statement. Blue loctite is your friend on an axis lock folder, or an auto. Nothing wrong with the knives, just need some TLC and maintenance.
I use the purple loctite on screws that small, that's what it's designed for. Works great on screws for bow sights and quivers as well. Anything with a fine thread and small screw size.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Scorpion

WKR
I haven’t had any issues with the Axis lock but have had to adjust them to make them work smoothly. On the other fasteners I will periodically torque check them. Apply purple Loctite if needed, it’s designed for small diameter fasteners.

Jeez i sure hope this is not too common. I think ive had more than 10 benchmades over the years, yet only 2 ive owned had the axis lock. One was a pardue that i dropped in the river within a few days of buying it lol. The other is the carbon mini freek that im currently carrying and am in love with. Funny thing is the axis lock is my least favorite thing about the knife. Dont have a ton of experience with the axis lock, but Ive never had any screws come out on any of my benchmades or any malfunctions what so ever. I usually install a deep pocket clip if the knife didn't come with one and ive noticed they pretty much always had loctite on those screws at least

Jauwater

WKR
I got a few Benchmade folders, which I've replaced all the scales to AWT. The screws on the scales I've never had an issue with. But the axis screw will come loose if I don't thread lock that screw. I believe, AWT has a video of them replacing scales on Benchmade knives where he puts thread lock on all the axis screws when reassembling.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
I've had so many Benchmade knives that just about every bad thing that can happen to a knife, has happened to a few, including loose screws. Never lost a screw though. Lost a coupe of knives though and broke a few too. Benchmades are still some of my favorites.

I have a Benchmade automatic, something like a 2550 ?? I have been carrying it on and off duty since the 1990's. I have never had a screw come out, or even come loose. Could be due to the way they made them 30 years ago, and the way they make them now.

Last edited:

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
Zero Tolerance knives are much better than Benchmade. Test for yourself but you'll thank me later.