Benchmarks for fitness

Doj4Whlr

Lil-Rokslider
This thread has been enjoyable to follow. There have been more than a few comments regarding mental toughness that have caused me to reflect. In an earlier post I mentioned that you can't judge a book by its cover and Rosin specified this observation noting that "...many smaller not so physically gifted that excel". Cameron Hanes has written at length about the mental stamina required for the backcountry longhaul. Much can be said about how physical preparedness is a benefit when you've been exposed to adverse environmental conditions over a prolonged period of time but in the end, I believe it's your metal that is most seriously challenged. Although difficult at times, I think this is something you can train for as well but you don't have a steady yardstick to measure your progress until you're tested. The good thing is that each time we're tested and succeed, we are that much more outfitted for future tests. This comes with a caveat- we each define success and in so doing, can change the goal line. Only the individual will truly know if he has succeeded or had slipped the bar when mentally challenged. A scenario we've each dealt with: Third day of 40 degree, rainy weather (sucks, not cold enough to snow!) with minimal sleep; so dark you can't see your hand in front of your face; hiking back to your camp and you have a sudden doubt (even temporary) about your location and where camp is located. What gets you there? Mental toughness or physical ability? Both? Which is more important? Tough question but I too have seen physical machines fall apart in this scenario, not just limited to hunting.

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
hmmm......physically fit to me is being able to finish what you started or the goal you have. Not everyone wants to be able to run 50 or 100 miles, but i do. I can appreciate how people brought up the mental aspect as the one doesn't mean jack without the other. i've been blessed by being to meet folks from all walks of life, from 18-82 years old that some you just wouldn't think they had "it", but you'd see them smiling at the end with a finisher's buckle/medal. to me it doesn't matter how long it takes you to get to the end but only if you finished.