Benefit in raising broadhead grain weight?

How much of a benefit is there for me to switch from a 100gr broadhead up to a 125gr or 150gr?

Hoyt Double XL 32” draw 65lbs draw weight Black Eagle Outlaw .300 spine. I’m not sure if there is any other pertinent information that would help

OR Archer

WKR
Not sure what you have your current arrows cut to but if you’re planning on bumping up to that weight of head you should consider going to a 250 or 200 spine shaft.
As far as a gain some of the heavier heads will have a slightly wider cut. And if you’re into it it will increase your FOC a little bit depending on what arrow you’re shooting. Otherwise there isn’t a big advantage over a 100gr head.

wmr89

Lil-Rokslider
Lots to consider. Going to 125 or 150 will increase your weight, increase FOC, and potentially increase penetration. However, it will change your tune, but maybe not by much. It will weaken your spine and change your point of impact. So you will have to adjust your sight and possibly get a stiffer spine arrow. So if you have shot your bow for a while and are really comfortable with the set up, it may not be worth the change.

Other things to consider: What is your current arrow weight? Is it on the low side and you want a heavier arrow? Have you shot an animal with your current setup and either been pleased with or disappointed in the result? How fast is your arrow going? More weight will slow it down and could make it quieter and easier to tune. With a 32" draw you could use a heavy arrow and still get it moving pretty fast.

Also, before you buy the broad heads you could try a few field tips and different weights and see if you like what the weight does.

H80Hunter

WKR
The one thing I think people get wrong is they expect going from 100 to even 150 will dramatically increase penetration and dramatically decrease trajectory. In reality, it will be a more minor change in both.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I think you'll be fine with .300 spine arrows, but I'd cut them at 30" or less. The Double XL is on the slow side of bows so nothing aggressive needing extra stiff arrows. On a lightweight arrow like the Outlaw I would definitely use a heavier BH than 100's, unless you've got some heavier inserts in them. I shoot almost 33" draw at 70-75lbs and cut all my arrows to 30" carbon to carbon and I shoot 300's, 250's and 200's. My bows will tune to any of those arrows, and all I use is 125's.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I would start by downloading and paying for this program so you know what is exactly going on with your arrows and spine.

IMO if you are between 9% and 15% FOC there is no benefit to changing. I want to go from 100 to 150 grains on the broadhead but only as once you get to 150 grains there are a bunch of cool broadheads valkyrie, kudu, RMS cutthroad etc. At 100 grains for big COC broadheads I feel a bit limited. But adding that point weight will break my 300 spines down to where they would be weak. So to up point weight I would have to completely change my arrow setup and retune which I dont want to do yet.

Mmomn

Lil-Rokslider
Some manufacturers make their heads heavier by switching the ferrule from aluminum to steel, or making the blades thicker, or making the ferrule beefier potentially making the head stronger

cured_ham

WKR
Biggest benefit IMO would be a sturdier head. If you are shooting something like an Iron Will the difference will be negligible but being able to go from something like a Montec to a VPA would be worth the weight.

For whatever it’s worth I moved from 100’s to 125’s and that minor increase in FOC had a noticeable, positive change in POI consistency.

Keep in mind; I have no idea what I’m doing. I changed the DW of the bow (Mathews switch weight) and completely changed arrows without any tuning. I got lucky for practice but broadheads were way off.

406unltd

WKR
As long as your spine supports it, it’s good to have your foc at around 10-17%. Since our heads are what’s doing the work on target it’s nice knowing that the broadhead has a substantial amount material to do the job. To me personally, heavyheads inspire confidence. Nothing tooooo crazy ya know but a happy medium that you have confidence in is the main goal. Good flight and a sturdy head will yield the best results.

Zac

WKR
I would try to lose 25 grains of insert weight and add it to your broadhead if that is possible. You get more durability in the heads as you go up in weight. Mostly steel ferrule vs aluminum, or titanium.

Zkep

FNG
I second playing around with the archery software idea...a change to BH weight will impact overall weight obviously, FOC, dynamic spine which could all impact tune and flight. Being able to dial to the standards you want on the computer (arrow weight, KE, speed, trajectory, FOC ect) before cutting arrows and buying components can streamline the process of tuning and being happy with your setup.