Benelli M2 rifled sabot slugs

SSB1

FNG
Anyone with a M2 12 gauge rifled barrel tried using Remington Premier Expander 3" slugs?

Clarence

WKR
I don't, but learned a while ago that 3" slugs do nothing better than a 2 3/4, and beat you up more. Lightfield and Hornady sst has been my goto's. Have a bunch of old 3" stuff that will just hang in the cabinet for a while. My .02

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
With a Hastings rifled barrel on my Remington 11-87 with Lightfield slugs it was easy to get 1" groups at 100 yards.

I got the SBE II with factory slug barrel. It likes the Hornady SST, and Federal slug with Barnes expander tip.
Like Clarence above wrote, we just use 2 3/4". Dialed in hitting clay pigeons on dirt mound at 100 yards.

rayporter

WKR
if you are going to shoot Remington slugs, get a bunch,

the ammo plant in Arkansas has closed and then opened and is supposed to close again soon. i dont think slugs are at the top of the list now but they may slow the 9mm line to make slugs as season gets into full swing.----if they are still open, which is really an unknown.

Shraggs

WKR
I think with rifled slug guns, you really just need to buy as many brands as you can and shoot them. I think 50 yards is a better test for patterns too.

after a bunch of options, my Remington 870 super mag pump loved Remington copper solids. There not sexy or a hype but 5/8” 100 yard group.

that’s a Barnes design, honestly in my experience with such low sectional density bullets I like the consistent terminal performance better then cup and core, like sst for example. No offense to anyone those are working well for.

benellim2

FNG
The best grouping slugs from my factory Benelli M2 Slug has been Hornady SST's and Federal Trophy Copper. I've tried almost every 2 3/4 and 3" sabot on the market and keep coming back to the 2 3/4" SST's and 2 3/4" Federal copper. I get consistent 2" groups with SST's at 100 yards. SST's are averaging 1,896 fps from by Benelli M2. The Remington barnes expanders group awesome but are way slower. I Couldnt find my chrono data on the Remingtons but they were hundreds of fps slower. If your shooting slugs past 100 yards you're going to want something closer to 1900 fps. Before Iowa allowed straight wall rifles for deer a benelli m2 with SST's was about the best slug gun set up you could get. We were shooting 12" steel plates out to 300 yards with SST's and Federal Trophy Copper. Try out some 2 3/4 SST's

With a rifled barrel, sabot slugs work really well. If a smoothbore, the Foster type slugs (lead hollow base and usually rifled) are decent. Try different brands for the best pattern.

OP
S

SSB1

FNG
Lightfields still in production? Scarce if they are.

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
I don't, but learned a while ago that 3" slugs do nothing better than a 2 3/4, and beat you up more. Lightfield and Hornady sst has been my goto's. Have a bunch of old 3" stuff that will just hang in the cabinet for a while. My .02

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Same here but I prefer Lightfields. However, I have been having a hard time locating them. What's your experience?

Thanks