Benelli super black eagle problems

OP
F
That sucks as far as their service go's, I clean mine regularly but not a total tear down!

I assume you have shot multiple types of shells through it?

There always seems to be a turd in the bunch, a friend of mine had issues with a 10ga a while back, it now rests in the middle of Chesapeake bay somewhere, not kidding!
I’ve run every brand through it. Mine was very close to being in the ocean this weekend

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
I have an original SBE1 that turned into a single shot. Love the gun when it shoots, but it's been a complete pain in the ass. Added a Wolff spring...no change. I think it may be an ejector issue, but a buddy just offered an insane amount of $$ for it. She gone.

My SBE2 had been really good, but I recently started having feeding issues with it, still haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet. I'm hoping it just the magazine spring.

Owned a super black eagle 2 once, just like some people on here it gave me a enough problems to where I sold it and bought a beretta A400 and have not looked back since. The inertia driven shotguns especially the benellis have always gave me problems. The most useful tips I can give for the SBE2 would be to break it in proper if you haven’t already, it feeds shells better once you’ve shot some heave 3” or 31/2” shells through it. Also when discharging the shotgun make sure it’s always pressed tightly to your shoulder a misplaced shouldering of the shotgun will potentially cause a misfeed because of the inertia driven system it uses, this happens a lot on overhead shots. Aside from proper care and cleaning there’s a recoil spring in the stock that can cause a lot of issues I’ve seen guys modify these to address cycling issues. Lastly the infamous “benelli click” the click and misfire is caused by the rotating bolt head at the end of the bolt assembly if it gets pushed back in the slightest, this happens if the shotgun gets bumped or pulled back inadvertently without knowing once a shell is loaded in the pipe, the new sbe3 address this problem now I believe. At the end of the day it may just be a lemon I know lots of people that have nothing but positive things to say about there sbe2. Although after experiencing all these issues first hand I’ve personally found the gas system auto loaders to be more reliable if maintained properly good luck.

ssrhythm

FNG
I tried the Wolff recoils spring . It did help with the cycling issues.

but I am still getting a lot of “click”. Do I start changing parts on my own . I feel like that’s the only way benelli isn’t helping me
You might be having a different click issue, but in case you were unaware like I was, I’ll post my experiences and causes.

The first click I experienced was with a Barrett’s Xtrtema on a Turkey. When I told my Bud what happened, he let me know why. I was Rambo crawling the turkey, and when I got to where I was going to shoot, I eased open the action to make sure I had one chambered. I eased the action back down, raised up, and “click!”

the rotating bolts on SBE2 and earlier, as well as the Barretta (they may have fixed it since then) require the action to slam shut fairly forcefully for the bolt to lock into a firing position. I’ve had several “clicks” since then with my SBE2 on duck and turkey hunts because it does not take much of a pull on the bolt handle thingy at all to unlock the rotating bolt. Crawling into a better spot to shoot a turkey or just moving through thick woods, a limb or vine or the ground or your clothing...anything can catch the bolt handle and tug it. Do it yourself and see it’s how little force is required to start the action back enough to start rotating the bolt. Once that happens, you have to pull that action back and slam it forward again to get it to lock. It’s very annoying snd the number 1 reason I wanted to get into the SBE3. They say that a redesign has solved that issue snd it is impossible for the action to close without the bolt rotating into the locked position. But I don’t want a gun that shoots all over the place either, so for now, I’m still contemplating my options.

Sorry to hear of your troubles - mine is approaching 25,000 rounds with zero issues. The more I shoot it the smoother it cycles; all fall chasing ducks and then chews up 1oz clay loads all summer.

Best of luck with it.

I know this is an old thread. Had issues also with mine.

For benelli click - replace recoil spring with wolf 25% stronger.

For double feed - replace the shell stop with the sbe1 version. (They rounded the one of the sbe2, no idea why. Shells seem to slip by it).

Stove pipe issues - replace ejector spring and possibly ejector catch if that doesnt work.

Once you do these three things it should be pretty bullet proof. Cleaning or lubing shouldn't make much difference, it will still cycle dirty. The only thing that should jam it is if you dont pull it all the way to your shoulder, this will always be an issue.

It's unfortunate to have to do this to such an expensive gun to make it work but I've always loved to shoot them.

Mosby

WKR
Another alternative is to speak with Rob Roberts Gunwerks in Arkansas. They are a Benelli Performance shop. I would call and get their opinion and consider having them do the repairs detailed by ChasingSqwach and/or whatever else is necessary.

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
Another alternative is to speak with Rob Roberts Gunwerks in Arkansas. They are a Benelli Performance shop. I would call and get their opinion and consider having them do the repairs detailed by ChasingSqwach and/or whatever else is necessary.
Mosby - do you have experience with Rob Roberts or know someone who does? Wondering if I should send them my SBE II

cod007

Lil-Rokslider
I have had my Benelli Super Black Eagle II for almost 15 years and have had no issues at all. I has shot EVERYTHING, from light loads to the heavy magnums. Never a jam. Never a mis-fire. Never a mis-feed. I will never let mine go and am glad I did not given the rumors I hear about regarding the SBE III.
Me too. Every line said here. Love my SB2.
You must have got a lemon. It happens. Get rid of it and move on.

Mosby

WKR
Mosby - do you have experience with Rob Roberts or know someone who does? Wondering if I should send them my SBE II
I have met him and talked with him at a gun show. Nice guy. I have never used him but I am going to. Something I pulled from Benelli website:

"The Benelli Performance Shop offers custom firearms optimized for specific hunting and shooting applications. By partnering with world-renowned gunsmiths such as Briley Manufacturing and Rob Roberts Custom Gun Works, Benelli delivers factory-backed custom-built shotguns. If you’re looking for the ultimate waterfowl gun, a superb competition firearm, a top-notch upland piece or an unrivaled turkey shotgun, look to the Benelli Performance Shop."

I figure if Benelli partners with him, that is good enough for me.

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
I have met him and talked with him at a gun show. Nice guy. I have never used him but I am going to. Something I pulled from Benelli website:

"The Benelli Performance Shop offers custom firearms optimized for specific hunting and shooting applications. By partnering with world-renowned gunsmiths such as Briley Manufacturing and Rob Roberts Custom Gun Works, Benelli delivers factory-backed custom-built shotguns. If you’re looking for the ultimate waterfowl gun, a superb competition firearm, a top-notch upland piece or an unrivaled turkey shotgun, look to the Benelli Performance Shop."

I figure if Benelli partners with him, that is good enough for me.
Thank you. Agree that is good enough for me.

I'm sending my SBE back to Benelli and then off to Rob if they cannot fix it. But if I have a worn receiver I'm not confident there is anything that can be done. Might a month or two before I run the various traps with Benelli and then Rob but will report back.

Thank you. Agree that is good enough for me.

I'm sending my SBE back to Benelli and then off to Rob if they cannot fix it. But if I have a worn receiver I'm not confident there is anything that can be done. Might a month or two before I run the various traps with Benelli and then Rob but will report back.
Any update?

djewell87

FNG
I love mine. The only time i've had problems were from cleaning it and overlubing. Now I clean all the internals with carb cleaner and then put just a couple tiny drops of oil where it needs it. Twice I cleaned the gun really really good and lubed it too much before a hunting trip and had some problems the first day.

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
Any update?
Thanks for the nudge. Benelli customer service was very pleasant to work with and took care of the issue. Their turnaround timing was spot on as well. It looks like they removed a tiny bit of metal near the retaining clip. I told them the various brands of ammo I hunt with and the work slip said they function checked those brands which I appreciated.

Took about 4-5 weeks if I recall correctly (I can check my slip if someone would like the exact details). I didn't get it back until after hunting season so have not put it through the paces but what I have shot seems to function properly.

OP
F
i ended up just putting in a wolf recoil spring.. and it works better 75 percent of the time. still some hiccups here and there.

bohica17

FNG
Had a problem with my nova, failure to eject,feed, and click. Tried multiple different shells on a pheasant trip. To the point of beating butt stock on ground and pulling forend to get shells to eject. Sent it in they said it was fine. Got it back and ran some old nasty dirty rusty shells and it ate them all. None the less never trusted it. I have a franchi affinity 3 and love it

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
i ended up just putting in a wolf recoil spring.. and it works better 75 percent of the time. still some hiccups here and there.
I have a SBE II that I've used for probably at least 10 years. Ive noticed when i start having issues its typically due to someting wearing out spring etc. Over the years Ive replaced firing pin spring, recoil spring, carrier latch and spring. Most of this is just normal wear and tear. My guns been all over from AK to Maine and many places in between both Salt and fresh water. Have had minimal issues. The biggest one was the recoil spring which caused feed issues similar to what you experienced but was resolved when replaced. Next step you might want to replaced the carrier latch that might also help with some of the feed issues. When my carrier latch edge started to wear down I would occasionally get 2 shells pushed out of the magazine.

Last edited:
I bought a used SBE 2 before last season that had less than a boxes of shells through it. I've had nothing but problems. Its been to the gun smith 4 times in two seasons. had a sure cycle put it and its almost like its cycling too fast now. I'm stove piping a shell probably 3 times per box now. Kent and hevi hammer. 3 and 3.5, doesn't seem to matter.

You'd think a $1700 shotgun would work better. I'm about tired of Benellis. My M2 had a year long break in, then ran great for 4 years and pretty much quit working. Sure cycle got it going again for about half a season, now third shell doesn't feed. That feels like a neglect issue, might need a mag spring but I just can't believe its not holding together longer.