Benelli $$$$$$

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
So I'm on my first bird dog and am planning to have a lot of miles carrying a shotgun. I have an 870 now and want to go nicer and lighter. Was looking Affinity or Benelli. I love the look of the SB3, but the Montefeltro or M2 I think would be more to my needs. What do you like better of the 2 Benellis? What's the difference between the two Benellis?

I think I looked at the Franchi and it fit me well. I just wanted a Benelli.

I like that the safety is in the same location on my Benelli autos. I use Briley extended chokes that fit both guns. I love the lightness and wood stock of the Montefeltro. Even with shims on the Montefeltro, I still get a better sight picture with the stepped rib on the M2. My Montefeltro doesn’t have a sling attachment. I like being able to sling the gun when I need to work on the dog (removing goatheads comes to mind). I take them both on hunting trips, but I usually carry the M2.

I also have a 20ga Monte, and I’m just itching to buy a new M2 20ga in waterfowl marsh. I keep spending money on dog training hear instead.

Tx270WT

FNG
I still have my first gen SBE and used to hunt waterfowl 45+ days a season. It probably has over 10k rounds through it. It’s 20 years old and still going. The only replacement it needed was the stock spring, which is not an issue with the newer generation SBEs. If I needed a new one, I would get another SBE if that says anything.

OP
Dominic06

Dominic06

FNG
I know the SBE3’s are designed to shoot high, but does it make shooting birds easier or harder? Pros, cons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

....you know what the duck commander says...”boom, boom, boom.”
I’ve owned 4 sbe s, a sbe II, a Montefeltro in 20 gauge and am in the market for an ultralight 28 gauge.
The franchi is a good gun. The Benelli is a really good gun.
If you don’t want to spend $1800, look at a used sbe or sbe II.

2ski

WKR
I think I looked at the Franchi and it fit me well. I just wanted a Benelli.

I like that the safety is in the same location on my Benelli autos. I use Briley extended chokes that fit both guns. I love the lightness and wood stock of the Montefeltro. Even with shims on the Montefeltro, I still get a better sight picture with the stepped rib on the M2. My Montefeltro doesn’t have a sling attachment. I like being able to sling the gun when I need to work on the dog (removing goatheads comes to mind). I take them both on hunting trips, but I usually carry the M2.

I also have a 20ga Monte, and I’m just itching to buy a new M2 20ga in waterfowl marsh. I keep spending money on dog training hear instead.
I kind of like the camo patterns of a synthetic stock. So far in Benelli I've seen wood or black synthetic. Part of the reason I like the Affinity and the SBE3. Looks. But I know I don't need the SBE3. Can you get an M2 in camo?

hodgeman

WKR
I know the SBE3’s are designed to shoot high, but does it make shooting birds easier or harder? Pros, cons.

There's no "right" way. European guns tend to "shoot high" with a 60/40 pattern above the bead. American guns tend to "shoot flat" with a 50/50 pattern. Folks like Browning make a mix of both.

If you're shooting flushing birds, the 60/40 makes sense, the rising bird is flying into the mass of the shot column. Ducks descending into a spread are dropping out of the mass of the shot column. That means you have to point slightly lower than normal to center the bird in the pattern.

It's not such a big deal once you get used to it. It took me several sessions busting clays to get the knack...now I don't even notice it.

I’ve also read about the Benelli shooting high, but it’s designed like that, it’s called t European aiming or something like that. A lot of people say they prefer it because you can see your target that your aiming at.

If you’re using it to hunt turkeys like you said, I’d strongly recommend mounting a red dot or scope. Otherwise you’re going to be challenged with just a bead on a Tom’s head and wondering where to hold (high/low) at the moment of truth. Good luck.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
So I'm on my first bird dog and am planning to have a lot of miles carrying a shotgun. I have an 870 now and want to go nicer and lighter. Was looking Affinity or Benelli. I love the look of the SB3, but the Montefeltro or M2 I think would be more to my needs. What do you like better of the 2 Benellis? What's the difference between the two Benellis?

The Monte has a wooden stock and i guess more classic technology. The M2 is a bit more modern (different recoil pad and stock). Both are going to cycle whatever you put in them, shoot well, shoot clean, shoot forever and be light to carry. Few hundred dollars difference (the M2 being more expensive). The Ethos was nice too. It handles like a ~2000 gun, no mistaking the quality.

I bought the M2 though I really wanted something with wood. The elevated rib lines up perfectly with my eye off the rack and that was the deciding factor. Maybe could have gotten the Monte or Ethos there with a shim kit but I didn't want to have tinker with anything else right now. If I really want to carry wood I have a vintage SxS I can play with where lead is allowed.

I think the best thing to do is handle both and "if shoe fits wear it".

arock

Lil-Rokslider
I kind of like the camo patterns of a synthetic stock. So far in Benelli I've seen wood or black synthetic. Part of the reason I like the Affinity and the SBE3. Looks. But I know I don't need the SBE3. Can you get an M2 in camo?
Yes. My stock is camo and the barrel and receiver are a matte grey. I think they call the finish Tungsten Cerakote

WRM

WKR
Yes. My stock is camo and the barrel and receiver are a matte grey. I think they call the finish Tungsten Cerakote

I bought an M1 and it was all camo. Functionally the same as the M2. There is a camo M1 on gunbroker

I bought a spare H&K receiver off Gunbroker and that gives me a dedicated turkey gun with a Trijicon RMR mounted. Return to the original receiver for a field gun. There are mounts that allow you to put an RMR on between stock and receiver and just use the field receiver.

OP
Dominic06

Dominic06

FNG
If I get a shotgun with it already fully dipped in camo from the factory, if it wears off can I get it re dipped after it starts to wear?

WRM

WKR
If I get a shotgun with it already fully dipped in camo from the factory, if it wears off can I get it re dipped after it starts to wear?

Assuming they still process them the same way, mine is 20+ years old and it isn't worn enough to merit a re-dip. The factory finish on a full "dip" is (was) pretty darn durable. Much more so than the cerakote I've had done. But, yes you can have it redone.

OP
Dominic06

Dominic06

FNG
Assuming they still process them the same way, mine is 20+ years old and it isn't worn enough to merit a re-dip. The factory finish on a full "dip" is (was) pretty darn durable. Much more so than the cerakote I've had done. But, yes you can have it redone.

Ok thanks, good to know.

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
If you are looking, there were three of that SKU on gunbroker listed at MAP. I bet if you called each of the dealers, you will find one willing to sell below MAP.