Benro S2 Pan head alternative

Pro953

WKR
I have enjoyed running a Benro S2 for the last few years. That said the thing feels like a brick at 14.5 oz.

I know the Outdoorsmans micro is the best option but I do have a hard time dropping 329 dollars - 7.5 oz.

Anything in the middle ground?

I am not sure if it’s a good idea but has anyone tried to grind / drill away excess material on a pan head. It seems like the S2 has a lot of excess material that could be disposed of with careful trimming.

Just kicking around ideas to trim a few ounces from my kit without dropping too much more in the way of gear/comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigDog00

WKR
I ordered the S2 a few years ago and quickly returned it for the very reasons you described (too heavy, bulky, etc). I ordered the Outdoorsman standard head and have been very satisfied with it. I found a discount code (I believe from the Jay Scott podcast) and got a little relief on price. I don't think you can get much better than the Outdoorsman.

Not helping :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ordered the S2 a few years ago and quickly returned it for the very reasons you described (too heavy, bulky, etc). I ordered the Outdoorsman standard head and have been very satisfied with it. I found a discount code (I believe from the Jay Scott podcast) and got a little relief on price. I don't think you can get much better than the Outdoorsman.
This

Hmm, the Benro is a great head for $75. Is 7 (SEVEN!!!) ounces worth $250 dollars??? There might be more cost-efficient ways of cutting 7oz. What tripod are you using?

Just pulled it off.
Took some effort while trying to be careful not to destroy it.
Sliding it back on was actually more difficult but definitely a nice mod. Would do again in a heartbeat

Napperm4

WKR
Have you done that?

I wanted to, but the fact that its a hollow tube made me nervous about attempting to put a bend back in it.

Yep. Lopped a few of them down. I have done both ends but I have a small tubing bender that helps.

The grip end is much easier. Takes a little effort but they come off. My trick for getting them back on is to put a little squirt of dish soap inside the rubber and on the metal

eltaco

WKR
I did this a few years ago so don’t remember how much it saved. I had access to a 3D printer so I made a plastic bushing to fit a cutoff arrow shaft. still nowhere near as light as the outdoorsman, but I also couldn’t justify that cost increase. I’ve been pretty pleased with the Benro.
IMG_2048.JPGIMG_2047.JPG

How much did you cut off?
It really a personal preference.
I just tried grabing the handle at different locations to determine where I wanted the grip to end up. It was more of a grip placement that worked for me instead of a weight savings.
Most of these handles on the fluid pan heads are designed for camera or video applications. As a hunter I prefer a shorter more compact handle. Especially when used on a window mount.