Benz's 2020 Montana Elk Adventure (detailed)

Flyjunky

WKR
Very good post, thanks for sharing...oh, and congratulations.

I thought for sure I was going to read about a grizzly coming into your camp.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I've enjoyed every story I've read on here, but this tops them all. Great information. Unfortunately some people will never be satisfied with unit numbers, even though some are 50 square miles. Even with the unit numbers, 99% of the non residents would ever know where exactly you were, except for Gila, he's a professional certified killer.

bz_711

WKR
Congrats on getting a bull! And good on you for sharing as much info as you could...this would have been super helpful the first year I was planning for an elk trip back in '09...I didn't even know what a podcast was then.

Looks like you forgot to post the one additional page titled "Backcountry Crocs" :)...but I guess those are an easy decision with no real competitors...

Sounds like you got it bad just as I did...'10 was my first hunt and I've been out west each year since...total elkoholic. I'm in Western IL as well and the Scheel's store you referenced is a grown man's candy store...I try to get there once a year if i can.

Final thought...the whole time I'm reading your post I'm thinking this guy needs to chase elk with bow next...warm September afternoons and t-shirts some days. You guys definitely paid your dues with that weather...congrats again.

OP
B

benz1978

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on getting a bull! And good on you for sharing as much info as you could...this would have been super helpful the first year I was planning for an elk trip back in '09...I didn't even know what a podcast was then.

Looks like you forgot to post the one additional page titled "Backcountry Crocs" :)...but I guess those are an easy decision with no real competitors...

Sounds like you got it bad just as I did...'10 was my first hunt and I've been out west each year since...total elkoholic. I'm in Western IL as well and the Scheel's store you referenced is a grown man's candy store...I try to get there once a year if i can.

Final thought...the whole time I'm reading your post I'm thinking this guy needs to chase elk with bow next...warm September afternoons and t-shirts some days. You guys definitely paid your dues with that weather...congrats again.

100% agree on the bow hunt. I much prefer the stick and bow. The rifle hunt was a compromise and probably a good choice for our first venture out west. If this year ends up being a solo adventure, I'll likely be going with the bow in September. Thanks for the congrats.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

caesAR15

Lil-Rokslider
Good stuff OP. thanks for taking the time to share your lessons learned. This thread will surely help others.