Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus vs. Benelli Super Black Eagle III

For me the top choice is the A400 Xtreme. They are crazy reliable, handle all shells well (although I would expect any semi to handle waterfowl loads well), and the kick off is very nice if you slugging 3.5 inch shells all day.

I like using a double barrel for upland but many guys I know use theirs for waterfowl, Turkey and upland. I like a lighter 20 gauge for upland work but that’s just preference.

If you don’t need 3.5 inch and you want to save money then I would look to the Remington V3 and buy a good set of chokes for it. Really, good 3 inch shells will do the work better than the 3.5 inch shells that were available up until a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are getting one to beat up and shoot like crazy then get the Winchester SX3. If you want to be the man and have a nice gun that never fails and easy to clean, get a Beretta/Benelli/Browning O/U.

It’s now the SX4 and unfortunately it’s not the same gun. Definitely would buy a used SX3 over a new Sx4

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
Having owned several Benelli's over the years, I decided to see what the fuss was about and bought a Beretta Xtrema 400. I used it for exactly 2 hunts and sold it. I hated it. It's all personal preference and 90% of the b.s. about benelli problems is operator error. I shoot mine 3-4 days/wk in every condition(rain, snow, temps in single digits, etc) I have had ice and frozen spray all over the gun. I don't clean the gun until the end of the season and they never fail me. So, don't believe all the Benelli bashers.

2531usmc

WKR
I’ve never shot the Benelli SBE, but I hunt ducks and geese on the Eastern Shore of MD with the Benelli M2. overall, I like the shotgun, but have missed shots at birds due to the “Benelli click”.

Is this still an issue with the newer M2s and SBE? It certainly leads to a loss of confidence in the gun. My experience with the “click” would probably preclude me from ever buying another Benelli.

My 1187 (1990 version) never once failed to go bang.

Buck300

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never shot the Benelli SBE, but I hunt ducks and geese on the Eastern Shore of MD with the Benelli M2. overall, I like the shotgun, but have missed shots at birds due to the “Benelli click”.

Is this still an issue with the newer M2s and SBE? It certainly leads to a loss of confidence in the gun. My experience with the “click” would probably preclude me from ever buying another Benelli.

My 1187 (1990 version) never once failed to go bang.
I believe the click was only fixed on SBE 3

gearguywb

WKR
I had a SBE II as well as a couple of Beretta's. I spend a lot of time hunting waterfowl in N. MO. I also shoot a lot of sporting clays, although not with either of those.

I have seen about every gun fail in the blind.

To me, the choice boils down to 2 things: fit and recoil. The SBE simply doesn't fit me well at all.

The real deal breaker was a few years ago I had shoulder surgery. Went after snow geese a couple of weeks later. The Benelli's system has a fain amount more recoil than the Beretta with the KO. All of the manly guys says it doesn't matter.....well it does. When you shoot relatively heavy loads, and a number of them through the days/weeks of the season, it adds up. Where it adds up is in missed birds du to recoil anticipation (flinch)

Black ice

FNG
Both are great options, it comes down to personal preference really. Also give the Franchi's a look.

sdogn8

FNG
This is tough, but both guns feel and handle differently I’d say. Either will be reliable, but it’ll really come down to how they feel in your hand. I have both a400 xplor in 20 and benelli m2 in 12. Not direct comparison for you, but similar enough to say I love them both equally. Id be more partial to the sbe3 though over the a400 Xtreme as it feels a bit bulky to me.

D S 319

WKR
I’m still rocking my 1187 only jammed once on me when I didn’t clean it for a couple of years lol. Lots of good information here. Think browning and beretta make some sweet waterfowl guns right now. SBE issue can be fixed I am pretty sure by adding some shims.

Spindrift

FNG
If you want to see what tested shotguns look like, go to a serious sporting clays event. You will see many shotguns with twenty thousand rounds through them and no excuse for choking.
You won't see any Benellis.
You will see lots of Berettas and Brownings.
My friends who HAD TO HAVE an SBE suffered through the pains of not having reliable ejection using light loads and the more abrupt recoil.
I have always owned gas shotguns and see no point in having an inertia gun.
Remember, fit is what breaks clays and kills birds, not some fanbois favorite flavor.

SBEs are not mean to be clay guns, they’re hunting guns. Why? Inertia guns will always struggle with the light loads used by sport shooters.

I have seen many a gas gun fail in the duck blind or on day three of a Chukar trip, including my A400. If you’re in an environment where you can keep them reasonably clean and lubed, day in and day out, great. But in a wet duck blind, heavy desert dust or sub freezing environments, inertia is going to be a better gun.

My duck guns are thus all inertia and my upland guns are gas or O/U.

Benellis have more felt recoil than a comparable gas gun. I looked at versions of the benelli almost 20 years ago and eventually went with a Beretta 391. Dont clean much and shoot cheap ammo out of it and it still runs when I pull it out the closet a few years later.

SBEs are not mean to be clay guns, they’re hunting guns. Why? Inertia guns will always struggle with the light loads used by sport shooters.

I have seen many a gas gun fail in the duck blind or on day three of a Chukar trip, including my A400. If you’re in an environment where you can keep them reasonably clean and lubed, day in and day out, great. But in a wet duck blind, heavy desert dust or sub freezing environments, inertia is going to be a better gun.

My duck guns are thus all inertia and my upland guns are gas or O/U.

The OP clearly states he is looking for something that will be used on clays.
SBE is not recommended for the reasons you state.
I have a number of gas guns and only once did I have one not run perfectly and I'm not exactly anal about keeping them clean and lubed.
I'd go so far as to say my Rem 1187 has been abused in terms of conditions hunted and never had an issue.

Spindrift

FNG
Benellis have more felt recoil than a comparable gas gun. I looked at versions of the benelli almost 20 years ago and eventually went with a Beretta 391. Dont clean much and shoot cheap ammo out of it and it still runs when I pull it out the closet a few years later.

If someone can’t handle the recoil of an inertia gun, I’d step down a gauge. The difference between gas and inertia is pretty small compared to a 12 vs. 20 of any action.

I don’t have a horse in this race because I own both. If the OP wants to shoot clays, an inertia gun will do fine…I’ve shot countless rounds of clays with mine with very, very few jams—especially once the gun is broken in. But just understand that both have their strengths and weaknesses. Id personally rather have a gun jam at the clays course due to the occasional light load than have a duck hunt ruined by a plugged gas gun. Good luck field stripping an A400 in the blind! But pulling the action open on a Benellli to eject a shell at the clays course is a 2 second inconvenience.

Similarly, lugging a SBE around on a Chukar hunt sucks compared to an A400. The A400 is much easier to swing, weighs less on days with big vertical and are simply very fast guns.

Pick your poison.

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
Having shot both, I can tell you that the difference in felt recoil between the two is nominal and is likely due more to the fact that the Beretta's are heavier rather than any of the recoil gimmicks touted by the mfrs. I have shot the SBE 2 for years and am not a big guy. I also own and shoot 5 other Benelli's in various models and gauges. I shoot 3" duck and goose loads and the recoil doesn't bother me. As I have said previously, the click issue is due to operator error. Once you know why it happens and you load the gun properly, it doesn't happen anymore. Benelli's are lighter and just feel better to me. It's personal preference. Gas guns have been around for years and many mfrs make them. They work. But they are also more susceptible to mechanical issues if not kept clean. I don't clean my duck gun until the end of the season unless I have an accident and drop it in the water or mud and I hunt 2-3 days/wk and run over a case of shells through it in a season. Temps here get down into the single digits(I am also in Idaho) and the only time I have a gun issue even in those temps is if the gun action gets water on it from dog shakes or freezing spray in the boat and it has time to freeze up in the trigger mech. That will happen with ANY GUN, whether it's recoil or gas operated. Owners of both are partial to whatever they have and will find ridiculous ways to bash the other in order to make themselves feel superior. Bottom line is that both guns are functional and many owners use both to get the job done. Buy what feels best to you. The SBE is a bit of a tank for clays but is a good multi-purpose gun. Don't overlook the M2 though if you don't plan on shooting 3.5" loads out of it.

Last edited:

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
Until it gets cold/dirty
Simply not true. In fact, the reverse is true. Gas guns are more susceptible to problems when dirty.
Before you even consider an SBE3 do your research. The have crazy POI issues due to redesigned recoil reducing chevrons in the stocks. It is a design flaw that benelli refuses to address. A bunch of us had them - were missing birds like crazy and ended up dumping them after reading about this. Most of us shoot Franchi Affinity 3.5’s or Berettas or Versamax’s now and are happy.
All shotguns require proper fitting and shimming. 90% of gun owners don't take the time to do this. My Beretta required shimming as well so this is not just a Benelli issue.
If you want to see what tested shotguns look like, go to a serious sporting clays event. You will see many shotguns with twenty thousand rounds through them and no excuse for choking.
You won't see any Benellis.
You will see lots of Berettas and Brownings.
My friends who HAD TO HAVE an SBE suffered through the pains of not having reliable ejection using light loads and the more abrupt recoil.
I have always owned gas shotguns and see no point in having an inertia gun.
Remember, fit is what breaks clays and kills birds, not some fanbois favorite flavor.
That's because the majority of competition shooters use O/U's and not semi-autos. I don't have any experience with Benelli O/U's so I can't speak to their quality or lack thereof. But, it could also be something as simple as Benelli not sponsoring shooters like the other mfrs. This is why you don't see that many Hoyt shooters at competition matches.

Last edited:

NDGuy

WKR
Simply not true. In fact, the reverse is true. Gas guns are more susceptible to problems when dirty.

All shotguns require proper fitting and shimming. 90% of gun owners don't take the time to do this. My Beretta required shimming as well so this is not just a Benelli issue.

That's because Benelli doesn't make an O/U and the vast majority of competition shooters don't shoot semi-auto's. It has nothing to do with gun quality.
All Anecdotal but the only people that I have seen have problems in the field are those with Benelli's.

Especially the SBE2, I have never had anyone using a Beretta, Browning, Winchester have an issue in the duck blind.

End of day stick with a Beretta, Browning, Benelli, Winchester you will be fine. They are all well made.

No A5 love???
Apparently not. I owned a vintage A5 Sweet 16 for a few months. Inherited it from my father who got it from someone else. Beautiful gun. Kicked like a damn mule and 16 ga. is near impossible to find these days. So I sold it to a collector who was thrilled to get it, and went out and bought a Benelli M2 for less than I sold the A5 for. I debated a while between the Benelli M2 and the Beretta, but I wanted an inertia gun and the Benelli was a little lighter. Since I tend to walk and carry my shotgun quite a bit when hunting dove, that's what I preferred. I'm sure I would have been happy with the Beretta too.

Beretta. The internals are more robustly built than a browning, and you don't have to deal with the potentially bizarre POI on a SBE3. A few years ago I bought a maxus, but my BIL's more recently purchased A400 xtreme is the superior gun both for shooting and when you take them apart side by side.

Benelli click has been fixed on Ethos and SBE3, but remains a risk with their other models.

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
All Anecdotal but the only people that I have seen have problems in the field are those with Benelli's.

Especially the SBE2, I have never had anyone using a Beretta, Browning, Winchester have an issue in the duck blind.

End of day stick with a Beretta, Browning, Benelli, Winchester you will be fine. They are all well made.
That's funny, the only problems I ever see in the blind are in guns other than Benelli. Guess you're right, it all ANECDOTAL.