Bergara 7mm Rem mag favorite rounds

DaHardy

FNG
I bought a Bergara B 14 Ridge in 7mm Rem Mag this winter. Taking it on a Newfoundland moose hunt in September. Has anyone figured out which ammo it likes best? I've shot two boxes of cheaper Norma following the barrel break in recommendations. This weekend I tried more expensive Federal Premium Barnes TSX 160 and Hornady Outfitter 150 CX. Both shot about 3 inch MOA. Bergara guarantees less than 1 MOA. Scope is Vortex Viper HD with Talley Lightweight mounts, torqued to specs. Solid sand bag/ bench rest. I called Bergara and they had me check action screws torque, which seemed fine, and disasseble and clean packing grease out of bolt. (It was pretty clean) So before I go spending a bunch of money on trial and error, I thought I 'd see if anyone else has found what they like to eat. Thanks!

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
Try Hornady Precision Hunter ELD-X or Federal Premium Berger Hybrids. Both shoot well for me out of a Bergara highlander 7mm.

Bad part is they have been tough to find lately. Haven't seen a box on the shelf since January.

Marble

WKR
With all due respect, and no slight towards the OP, but I would have someone else shoot it.

Secondly, I'm not sure if they recommend a break in, but you may check on that. I've seen a few guns go from multiple MOA to less than 1 moa after break in.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
D

DaHardy

FNG
Try Hornady Precision Hunter ELD-X or Federal Premium Berger Hybrids. Both shoot well for me out of a Bergara highlander 7mm.

Bad part is they have been tough to find lately. Haven't seen a box on the shelf since January.
Thank you. The ELD X is one of their recommended bullets. However I've seen in other forum threads that a lot of people didn't recommend it for moose. I'll see if I can find some online though.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I have a new bergara hunter in 300WM that was being picky too. It didn’t like Sierra 180s that I found in a factory load or 215 Bergers from unknown munitions. 200 gr accubonds from choice ammo we’re ok, like 1.5 MOA. Then I started working a hand load with 210 ABLRs and it went to tiny little groups, well less than an inch. Not sure if that will translate to 7mm but might be worth a shot if you can find them. Might also verify the scope on a different rifle, that was going to be my next move

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So the first thing you should look at when choosing ammo is seeing which bullet is appropriate for your twist rate. The B14 7 mag is a 1:9.5 twist which means it is going to stabilize and shoot the best with the 165-grain area. If you go up to the 180s you are not going to stabilize the bullets, and the 150-grain class will be overtwisting.

So now that we know what bullet range will work the best, see what factory options are offered for that range.

Those are the 5 options that I would stick with and go see what you can find. The accubonds will probably hold together a little better if you like high shoulder shots but the ELDX is going to do everything that you need. Depending on how far you are shooting will change how much you test the ammo but those are the starting points.

OP
D

DaHardy

FNG
So the first thing you should look at when choosing ammo is seeing which bullet is appropriate for your twist rate. The B14 7 mag is a 1:9.5 twist which means it is going to stabilize and shoot the best with the 165-grain area. If you go up to the 180s you are not going to stabilize the bullets, and the 150-grain class will be overtwisting.

So now that we know what bullet range will work the best, see what factory options are offered for that range.

Those are the 5 options that I would stick with and go see what you can find. The accubonds will probably hold together a little better if you like high shoulder shots but the ELDX is going to do everything that you need. Depending on how far you are shooting will change how much you test the ammo but those are the starting points.
That is really helpful information! Much appreciated.

Keep in mind that rifles are like fingerprints, no two are exactly alike. Just because 162 ELDX with Reloader 26 shoots great in my Bergara doesn’t mean it will shoot great in yours.

(I don‘t have a Bergara, I shoot Tikkas, but the message translates.)

And barrel break in is a myth. Seriously.

NDGuy

WKR
B14 7 mag is a 1:9.5 twist which means it is going to stabilize and shoot the best with the 165-grain area.
Ding ding.

I have had great results shooting 160 Accubonds out of my 7mag with a 1 9.5 twist Krieger barrel.

Last edited:
OP
D

DaHardy

FNG
Ding ding.

I have had great results shooting 160 Accubonds out of my 7mag with a 1 9.5 twist Krieger barrel.
Thanks! And I've heard they are great big game bullets. Now to find any for sale......

OP
D

DaHardy

FNG
Much better groupings today, with the same bullets. I removed the stock and sanded the paint/coating off of the lugs. I made sure the action bolts were torqued to spec. I also noticed my muzzle brake wasn't tight so I made sure that was tight. And I only shot three and let it cool. 1" MOA with both the Hornaday Outfitter 150 and Federal Premium Banes TSX 160s. I tried adding a 4th and 5th shot and they were not as tight. Thanks for the help.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
If I were going to shoot a copper mono from a 7mm RM, I’d grab the Barnes VOR-TX loaded with their 139 grain LRX. That should be a decent performer out to 300 yds or so depending on your MV and elevation, maybe a little further at a push. My experience with that ammo was positive in terms of both accuracy and consistency.

If longer range was on the table and lead core was an option, I’d grab 162 ELD-X. If I was going to hand load, I’d grab 160 TMK or 162 ELD-M. All should stabilize without issue and have more than enough starting MV out of the 7mm RM to be effective much further than even a reasonably skilled hunter can make a shot,