Bergara b14 vs tikka tx3 super lite

TPcom

FNG
I’m looking to get a rifle in a 6.5 creedmoor and will mainly be hunting deer. Ive kind of narrowed my options between the bergara and tikka tx3 superlite. I’m looking for the best smooth shooting/submoa rifle at 100 yards. I will be shooting up to 400 yards. I will be stalking game from time to time so weight can’t be too much. I’d like to hear some personal insight. Any other rifles that you think would be better under $1000 let me know.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
The fit and finish of the Bergera is nice, but it's a heavier gun. I own a superlite and I really like the weight savings, smooth action, trigger, and accuracy. Since 99.9% of my time with the gun is slung over my shoulder it's light weight is appreciated.

OP
T

TPcom

FNG
The fit and finish of the Bergera is nice, but it's a heavier gun. I own a superlite and I really like the weight savings, smooth action, trigger, and accuracy. Since 99.9% of my time with the gun is slung over my shoulder it's light weight is appreciated.
Have you had problems with the barrel getting too hot on either of the two when shooting at range?

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I don't shoot enough to notice that. I do a fair bit of load workup and such but always limit my shots. The rifle has probably never seen more than 5 consecutive shots without cooling.

Apollo117

WKR
Have you had problems with the barrel getting too hot on either of the two when shooting at range?
If you're worried about the barrel of a hunting rifle getting too hot, then you're not planning to shoot it realistically. There aren't many hunting scenarios where you'll be heating up a barrel on a factory Bergara B14 or Tikka T3x enough to worry about POI shifting.

You'll see the best results at the range if you shoot thin barreled rifles in increments of 3-5 shots or until the barrel gets hot. Let the barrel cool and then shoot another increment of 3-5 shots or until the barrel gets hot.

To your original question, I would choose the Tikka. Every Tikka I own and have shot has been more than adequate for hunting. The only thing I don't like about my Tikka rifles is the barrel twist rate is too slow for bullets with a long ogive.

I don't own a Bergara, but I have shot a couple. I've been impressed. There isn't great aftermarket barrel support for Bergara rifles and that's what turns me off from them.

Hoopwse

FNG
I went to look at at Tikka and ended up with a Bergera. Honestly was the tikka felt kinda cheap and plasticy to me

Tikkas do feel like plastic crap. However, they usually shoot well. I have an older t3 tactical in 308 that shoots like a laser. I decided to update and Bergara was in my consideration set a couple of years ago When I went looking for a light, 6.5 cm for $1000. Along with kimber, browning and savage. I handled the Bergara and was impressed. Ended up going tikka t3x in lite from Whitaker’s for under $700. My two buddies bought around th same time. One kimber and one browning. All three guns shoot about the same. The browning was about $400 more and is heavier by a pound. The kimber (adirondack) was almost 2x the price and is lighter by at least a pound.

all those guns are fairly light and plenty capable of a 400 yard shot with a decent bullet. if you want a bit nicer fit and finish, by all means, go for one of the other guns. I think tikka holds a sweet spot balancing price and performance To deliver the best value of any serious, mass market hunting rifle.

Drenalin

WKR
I really like my Bergara. Feels good in my hands, shoots well, and operates smoothly. I opted for the Bergara because I didn't want a lightweight .30-06. If I were going 6.5, I'd do it in a lighter weight rifle like the Tikka because recoil wouldn't be a concern. My understanding is the factory Tikka stock feels and looks "cheap" but is functionally fine, and can be easily replaced later by a wide range of options. I'm thinking hard about buying a Tikka Superlite myself and topping it off with an SWFA ultralight.

rootacres

WKR
Those are both very good options. The tikka will be slightly lighter and while I don't own one I have seen first hand what they can do. They are a solid factory rifle, the action is among the best for a factory action in my opinion. On the other hand I owned a Bergara and wouldn't hesitate buying another if I wanted a rifle in that price point. Accuracy won't be an issue there either. What drew me to the Bergara was the fact that it is a Rem 700 clone. The action is basically a cleaned up rem 700 with all the features that the rem 700 should have (ex. bolt release button up top, m-16 style extractor). So the aftermarket world is enormous. If you decide to throw a new trigger on it, or want a new stock or scope rings you'll have more options than basically any other rifle.

WildHart1

FNG
I can't say for that caliber in those two brands but I have owned tikkas and bergaras and I currently don't own any Bergaras due to issues with it not shooting very well. Maybe I got unlucky with the bergara but my tikka has performed beyond anything I could of hoped for.

I have a T1X in 17 HMR, a T3X in 300 WM, and a T3X in 6.5 CM. All shoot exceptionally well and are a pleasure to carry. No issues taking the 300WM and 6.5CM to 1000 yards (that's "killing" plates and/or paper).

When at the range, bring a mix of firearms to shoot. This will help deal with barrels getting hot as well as kill some time (not having to wait for a barrel to cool down).

twall13

WKR
I went to look at at Tikka and ended up with a Bergera. Honestly was the tikka felt kinda cheap and plasticy to me
I did the same thing. I went to Sportsman's Warehouse and handled both and after that it was easy for me to choose the Bergara. To me, the only advantage the Tikka has over the Bergara is the weight, but everyone has different preferences. I don't like the feel of the Tikka, but I do hear they shoot well. I own two Bergara's and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I think either gun would work well for the OP in the described use scenarios.

Sled

WKR
I've had both and they are 2 very different rifles. The b14 is heavy and mine needed a trigger tech right away. It shot fine but duplicated a better performing savage I already had. I wouldnt be spot and stalking with either the b14 or my savage due to weight. The tikka is a meat and potatoes gun. I'm satisfied with it and have several. Just need a trigger spring on the later models.

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
The Tikka is a good rifle and shoots MOA. The Bergara shoots 1/2 MOA and I like it better. I have both rifles and would say pick the one you feel better holding. Either gun will be fine under 400. I use the bergara more because it feels more natural to me. No wrong answer here.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
I've owned both models in 7mm rem mag. The Tikka was much easier to develop loads for, shot more consistent all around, and was much more pleasurable to pack. Lots of good options for Tikkas if you decide to go custom in the future.

If you walk a lot that extra weight starts to feel pretty bad by late afternoon. My tikka is 30-06 and I don’t find the recoil that bad with a limbsaver butt pad.