Bergara Mountain 2.0

IDMONK

FNG
I’m looking for a new rifle and considering the Bergara Mountain 2.0. Some requirements for me are 1. Great accuracy 2. Not overly heavy 3. No plastic stock 4. Rem 700 type action 5. $2k budget. The Bergara seems to fit the bill but is there others I need to consider? I’ve looked into the Brownings and am not sure I can warm up to them plus not a 700 type action, the Springfield Armory 2020 and it seems nice but can’t find one to hold and shoulder. Looking at 6.5 PRC for caliber.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
The Mountain 2.0 6.5PRC that I bought is one of the most accurate production rifles I've shot. It stacks factory Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr and it's a joy to carry. My only gripe is the lack of threaded barrel.

Andrew.c

FNG
I would definitely not rule out the Springfield Waypoint. If they come out with it in a 7mm PRC this year, that is the one I’m buying

OP
IDMONK

IDMONK

FNG
I would really like the 7mm PRC I think, I’m just concerned about component availability (quality brass) for the next couple years…

I really hope Springfield will come out with some long action calibers for the Waypoint eventually. Have you considered the Seekins PH2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately it looks like it’s a bit of a wait right now for most calibers with Seekins as they’re trying to catch up on production

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew.c

FNG
The Seekins looks amazing too. The only thing I’m not sure about yet is how the stock feels on the havak.
I agree that it is going to take a while to get brass support for the 7 PRC, although I have found factory loads on the shelf several times.

OP
IDMONK

IDMONK

FNG
The more I look at the SA waypoint the more it intrigues me. I’ve read some possible accuracy and pressure issues, does anyone have experience with this rifle?

Firemedic710

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve wanted a Bergara for a few years but have held off. it seems they weak extractors. There’s a few Bergara Facebook groups and it seems a few people a week are griping about busting them.

cjcavinaw

FNG
I've got the begara b14 hmr and love it for what it is. Its damn heavy like most of their guns but I havent looked at the weight of the mountain 2.0. Im another vote for the seekins as it has been on my list for awhile, shot a few but personally haven't bought one yet. Another option for you might be a christensen?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
IDMONK

IDMONK

FNG
I've got the begara b14 hmr and love it for what it is. Its damn heavy like most of their guns but I havent looked at the weight of the mountain 2.0. Im another vote for the seekins as it has been on my list for awhile, shot a few but personally haven't bought one yet. Another option for you might be a christensen?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I’ve been avoiding the Christensen due to possible QC problems. Seems hot or miss on them right now. I will look closer at the Seekins, but it’s been hard to find one in 6.5PRC for me. Thanks for the reply

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't worry about the Christensen--before I had the Mountain 2.0, I had a Mesa 6.5 PRC and it held sub MOA out to 300yd no problem. Only sold it because it was heavier than I liked. If I were to do it all over again with Christensen, I'd do a Mesa FFT or Ridgeline FFT. Checks all the same boxes as the Bergara, but they're threaded.

Bc45

Lil-Rokslider
Look at the b14 squared crest, I think it is better than the mountain 2.0. Just doesn’t have any 6.5 prc for it right now.

Based on my crappy experience with Bergarbage customer service, I’d recommend against them. I had to pay a smith to fix their warranty repair out of pocket.

That said, for $2k I wish I’d just gone semi custom. Find a used action, buy a chassis and have a smith rebarrel to your choice of caliber. Perfect fit, light weight and likely better accuracy.

Lots of CA guns for sale used and cheap due to their shoddy QC. Use one of those as a donor or a used Bergara/REM 700.

K1jerry

FNG
So I own both. A Begara Mountain 2.0 and a Seekings Havak Element. Both in 308 win. After much research I bought the Begara first. I think I got into it for $1950 and it came with a Leupold VX3 4.5x14 cds. Reeds Sportings goods. However I topped it out with a VX5 3x15 cds. Leupold backcountry ringmounts. It felt great and more traditional. I like the fact that its a 22in non threaded barrel because a mz break is not needed on a 308 and I run tape on the mz while guiding in AK. So long story short, it shot horrible! Like some 6 in groups. I found the front screw was loose. Tightened it up and still wouldn't shoot under 2 moa. Factory loads and reloads. Switched scopes and same thing. I sent it back and im still in a holding pattern. I just bought a Seekings Havak Element in 308 as well. Its lighter and I get 1 more round. It cost more but I'm realy liking it. Crazy thing is it loves the 165 hornady flat base interlocks the best. 44grns Ramshot TAC. Getting around 2680 out of its 21in BBL. Three shots touching. However Im shooting the new Speer Impact 172 though which isn't quite as accurate but the bc is better .520 and should open up at a lower impact velocity. With the Seekings you can seat your bullets out to 2.865 and still fit in the mag. Not touching the lands in my rifle either. The Begara had to be seated way deeper to fit in its blind box. The total package is 6.95lbs with the mag in and Seekings rings. Lighter than the Begara. The Begara is a 1-10 twist 22in and Seekings is 1-11 21in. Seekings is threaded but I wont hang a can off that thin barrel and mz break isn't needed. My Begara will be for sale when it comes back.

Attachments

• IMG_0795 Small.jpeg
    IMG_0795 Small.jpeg
    27.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0783 Small.jpeg
    IMG_0783 Small.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 16