Bergara Premier Mountain 2.0 or CA Ridgeline

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking at another 300 WM for a LW hunting rifle. Considering the Bergara Premier Mountain 2.0 or CA Ridgeline in 300 Win Mag. Usually I have custom guns built by TScustoms, Tooley, MH, etc. But lately I have felt the need to get a few cheaper LW hunting guns that are factory. My most recent factory rifles I bought are 6.5prc Xbolt pro carbon tungsten and a Hells Canyon speed in 300WSM. Both nice rifles. But I am considering one of the two I mentioned above.

One concern I have is the max COAL I can run on these. I hand load with 215 bergers and want to be able to be flexible on my loadings. I know the CA has 3.7 COAL and that will work fine. My last win mag at the lands was 3.730 so I can make the 3.70 work. What is the max length for the Bergara?

Not much out there yet on the new Bargara 2.0 but lots of reviews on the CA. The 2.0 looks like a really nice rifle. Anyone have some experience with both of these?

Thanks,

Jake

rootacres

WKR
This is a tough one. I had a Bergara B14 in a 308 that I sold to roll the funds into a 300 WSM Ridgeline. I wouldn't hesitate to own another Bergara especially if its one of their premium branded options. I believe that the premier is still a rem 700 clone. So they COAL lengths that govern the rem 700 are likely the same in the Bergara. I don't know this as fact but I believe it to be the case.

Buy the Bergara for the rest of us lol. Im sure there are many people on here that wonder the same thing then go ahead and buy from the manufacture that is more popular. Bergara premiers are probably awesome, people just don't know it.

Last edited:
OP
Jwknutson17

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This is a tough one. I had a Bergara B14 in a 308 that I sold to roll the funds into a 300 WSM Ridgeline. I guess I wouldn't hesitate to own another Bergara especially if its one of their premium branded options. I believe that the premier is still a rem 700 clone. So they COAL lengths that govern the rem 700 are likely the same in the Bergara. I don't know this as fact but I believe it to be the case.

Buy the Bergara for the rest of us lol. Im sure there are many people on here that wonder the same thing then go ahead and buy from the manufacture that is more popular. Bergara premiers are probably awesome, people just don't know it.
Thanks for the reply. I know they offer it in 300 PRC so I would hope that the box length on the win mag is the same dimensions. I just have so much stuff for the win mag and only limited PRC brass being dedicated to two other rifles. Or I would jump for another PRC as I like the round especially with RL26 and shorter barrel length being able to get really good velocity.. The PRC factory loaded rounds are much longer then the win mag Sammi spec so hoping they use the same length box. I just don't want to spend the 1900 bucks just to be limited on length. Ill call Bergara tomorrow on length tomorrow.

Anyone else have any insight on the 2.0?

OP
Jwknutson17

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just got off the phone with Bergara and it looks like the WM is bottom metal is based off SAMMI spec COAL rounds. The PRC is a longer CIP length bottom. So that rules out the WM for me and the 215 bergers I was looking at running. So I placed an order for the 300 PRC to give that a go. If I feel the need to spin up a WM barrel for it sometime then I will down the road. You would think that the boxes would be the same on the LA rifles but I guess not.

rootacres

WKR
Just got off the phone with Bergara and it looks like the WM is bottom metal is based off SAMMI spec COAL rounds. The PRC is a longer CIP length bottom. So that rules out the WM for me and the 215 bergers I was looking at running. So I placed an order for the 300 PRC to give that a go. If I feel the need to spin up a WM barrel for it sometime then I will down the road. You would think that the boxes would be the same on the LA rifles but I guess not.

Please update us on how it goes. I have a 7mm WSM that I intend to use for everything in the lower 48. But I could justify a big 30 for elk. If I didn't build another custom the rifle you just ordered would be at the top of my list.

OP
Jwknutson17

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Please update us on how it goes. I have a 7mm WSM that I intend to use for everything in the lower 48. But I could justify a big 30 for elk. If I didn't build another custom the rifle you just ordered would be at the top of my list.
Sounds good. I should have the rifle Friday.

khuber84

WKR
I would believe that with just a magazine box swap you'd have the same long magazines abilities of the 300prc. Parts are parts, simple swap. Honestly.......the prc is a lot better design than the wm. Long neck, long freebore, little taper, 30° shoulder and quick twist rates. If I had to buy a factory 30 cal right now, it'd be a ridgeline 300prc with an 8tw and I'd restock it, cuz Christensen stocks suck. I'd get the 26" barrel, fastest twist, and still be a sub 7# gun. The bergara mountain 2.0 is no slouch either and probably shoots as good or better. I just dislike shorter barrels unless I'm dedicating supressor usage.

OP
Jwknutson17

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would believe that with just a magazine box swap you'd have the same long magazines abilities of the 300prc. Parts are parts, simple swap. Honestly.......the prc is a lot better design than the wm. Long neck, long freebore, little taper, 30° shoulder and quick twist rates. If I had to buy a factory 30 cal right now, it'd be a ridgeline 300prc with an 8tw and I'd restock it, cuz Christensen stocks suck. I'd get the 26" barrel, fastest twist, and still be a sub 7# gun. The bergara mountain 2.0 is no slouch either and probably shoots as good or better. I just dislike shorter barrels unless I'm dedicating supressor usage.
If the inlet in the stock is the same then that would be nice for a straight swap to the cip length one. This will be my 5th 300prc so I do like them. I usually run my TBAC ultra 5 and 7 on my hunting guns. But not everything I shoot requires it. I've found with my 215 berger loads with RL26 even in 22" tube I still achieve really good velocity. The last Lone peak Ti build I did with proof 22" barrel in a mild load still saw 2850 pfs with 215s and shot in the .3s. I have never needed an 8 twist in any of these 30s. Heck I shoot 230 atips out of a 10 twist Norma in my AXSR at 2000 yards just fine. If I had a choice the 9 or 9.4 twist would be my first choice for a mountain gun, the 10 would be my next, followed by the 8. I personally have no need to shoot the 250gr class pills. I am glad we have so many choices these days. I may pick up a CA here after the new-year and give it go also.

Thanks for the insight though. I hope this thing shoots well and is great mountain gun.

khuber84

WKR
If the inlet in the stock is the same then that would be nice for a straight swap to the cip length one. This will be my 5th 300prc so I do like them. I usually run my TBAC ultra 5 and 7 on my hunting guns. But not everything I shoot requires it. I've found with my 215 berger loads with RL26 even in 22" tube I still achieve really good velocity. The last Lone peak Ti build I did with proof 22" barrel in a mild load still saw 2850 pfs with 215s and shot in the .3s. I have never needed an 8 twist in any of these 30s. Heck I shoot 230 atips out of a 10 twist Norma in my AXSR at 2000 yards just fine. If I had a choice the 9 or 9.4 twist would be my first choice for a mountain gun, the 10 would be my next, followed by the 8. I personally have no need to shoot the 250gr class pills. I am glad we have so many choices these days. I may pick up a CA here after the new-year and give it go also.

Thanks for the insight though. I hope this thing shoots well and is great mountain gun.
There are some really badass solids coming around the corner. They expand, hold weight retention, penatration, and have a very high BC. I know the 205 solid requires an 8tw, and the 195 requires a 9. So I'd get an 8 just for the options.

OP
Jwknutson17

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There are some really badass solids coming around the corner. They expand, hold weight retention, penatration, and have a very high BC. I know the 205 solid requires an 8tw, and the 195 requires a 9. So I'd get an 8 just for the options.
Awesome. Good to know. I guess I didn't think much about the new hunting solids. I have only used solids on my 33xc and 375ct for ELR shooting.

Bater

WKR
Overall I’m pretty happy with my 2.0 in 6.5 PRC. Initially had a vertical stringing issues at long range but soon discovered this was the fault of very inconsistent Bertram brass. Rifle now does .6 - .7 pretty consistently with 143’s @ 2950. Wish it was a touch lighter and usually opt for my noticeably lighter Kimber Hunter for backpack trips. Fit and finish is not good for a rifle costing 2k. Bergara had to send me a new bottom metal that was covered in scratches upon arrival. The metal finish of the barreled action is more of a powder coat making it more difficult to clean. The stock is one of my favorites but has some rough spots I had to sand down and finish off.

The rifle balances nicely with a March 2.5-25 up top. Overall I like the Bergara and it will see use this year, but it’s not perfect. Comes down to what you want in a rifle. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
Jwknutson17

Jwknutson17

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How'd the bergara 2.0 work out for you guys?
I ended up getting rid of mine also. Shot ok but didn't care for the super skinny palm swell and I was going to have to put a bag or riser on to get the comb height where I needed. 20moa base ended up being more like 40 and a 0moa base put it right at 20. Still Shot under an inch 3 round groups but the rifle wasn't for me. Built another Defiance Anti action on a carbon manners and proof and haven't looked back.

khuber84

WKR
Thanks for the info guys! Will probably stay away from one. For 2k it sounds like there are some short comings.

Overall I’m pretty happy with my 2.0 in 6.5 PRC. Initially had a vertical stringing issues at long range but soon discovered this was the fault of very inconsistent Bertram brass. Rifle now does .6 - .7 pretty consistently with 143’s @ 2950. Wish it was a touch lighter and usually opt for my noticeably lighter Kimber Hunter for backpack trips. Fit and finish is not good for a rifle costing 2k. Bergara had to send me a new bottom metal that was covered in scratches upon arrival. The metal finish of the barreled action is more of a powder coat making it more difficult to clean. The stock is one of my favorites but has some rough spots I had to sand down and finish off.

The rifle balances nicely with a March 2.5-25 up top. Overall I like the Bergara and it will see use this year, but it’s not perfect. Comes down to what you want in a rifle. Good luck.
Any insight into magazine/action length? Wouldn’t mind the ability to try the heavies or load long.

Some of these comments are making second guess the decision, but mine is long paid for, been playing the waiting game for months.

Bater

WKR
I run 143/156’s at my 2.910” mag constraints. With H1000 this is non compressed even with the 156