Bergara vs Remington 700

TowerT

FNG
Find a Bergara with a shorter barrel in .308 Or you can choose to buy one with a longer barrel and have it chopped or threaded.

zr600

FNG
So did you buy a tikka that was custom built then? I have heard nothing but good about tikka. I have a 6.5 creedmoor Bergara hmr and it’s a good shooter. I run a cam on it. Shoots 140eldms really well. Factory ammo or reloads.

OP
C
So did you buy a tikka that was custom built then? I have heard nothing but good about tikka. I have a 6.5 creedmoor Bergara hmr and it’s a good shooter. I run a cam on it. Shoots 140eldms really well. Factory ammo or reloads.
Yes, found one on snipers hide. 20” CTR barrel, T3 action with LRI bolt, and KRG bravo. Guy had a nice carbon barrel on it but I couldn’t afford that.

Thanks for everyone’s reply’s. I actually ended up getting a pretty good deal on a Tikka build.
@Capt.kramer how do you like your Tikka build so far? I've been wrestling with a semi-custom build myself. I am looking at building out another .280 AI and possibly a .300 Win Mag so both long action platforms. I'm not very experienced with all the actions out there but have resigned myself to finding a Remington 700 clone given the insane amount of options out there for that action. So far I have been looking at Howa and Bergara (perhaps the premier line over their B-14 line?). The Tikka is very enticing given the rave feedback from owners and gunsmiths that love the smooth action and how easy they are to work on but I'm hung up on the DBM. I really prefer a hinged floor plate and internal magazine. I even don't mind the blind magazine on my Kimber Montana that I love to hunt with. I just don't like having it protrude from the gun and I will often carry my rifle there in hand while slipping through dense cover or crossing logs and such. I used to be concerned about moisture and debris getting in but every Tikka owner I know says it's a non issue. I've even just toyed with buying another quality production rifle like the Kimber Montana or trying out a Nosler M48 but their new model hasn't come out yet and I've always wanted to put my own together anyway.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I'm not very experienced with all the actions out there but have resigned myself to finding a Remington 700 clone given the insane amount of options out there for that action. So far I have been looking at Howa and Bergara (perhaps the premier line over their B-14 line?).
Bergara isn't an exact 700 clone, lots of the add on parts work but the thread pitch is different so prefits won't work, barrels have to be to be custom threaded. I had a Bergara B-14 and although it was a quality rifle I wasn't impressed with the accuracy. Took some pretty extensive load work to get it sub MOA, and it had an extremely tight chamber which caused me to have to buy an extra die and put an extra step in my brass prep process so I sent it down the road. My buddy has a ridge with the exact same issue, but at least his shoots.

AR_Clint

FNG
I also have the hmr in 6.5 CM. It does sub moa 3 shot groups with 140gr ELDM and 143gr ELDX most of the time... I wish it was more consistent though. I hope you enjoy your tikka.

rootacres

WKR
The Bergara is basically a Remington 700 only better. Their action is smoother and offers a bolt release up top. The extractor and bolt assembly are basically an improved Remington 700. Bergara barrels have been known for years offering reliable accuracy out of the box. It’s basically an improved clone. Bergaras drop in to Remington 700 inlet stocks and use the same triggers. The only thing I’m not sure of is if they have the same barrel thread.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Depends on the Remington, the xcr2 rifles are great, one of my all time favorites. I’m not really a Bergera fan.