Bergara vs Sako

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a black bear and moose hunting gun that will be used for hunting inside 300 yards (as of now), however, I have some areas near by that I can practice shooting 500-600 yards so that I can train to be able to hunt to that greater distance.

calibre will be 300 win mag, and all loads will be factory (170-195grains). I am not too picky on weight as I’m used too carrying around a Lee-enfield .303 and I like weight to reduce recoil and stabilize the rifle while aiming. I will be using the gun at around 500 feet above sea level.

I am not a fan of Tikka Stocks, so to change out the stock will make the cost of a T3X (1700+850 not including bedding) the greater than a Sako S20 with cerekote.

*** all prices are in Canadian dollars ***

therefore I am between the following guns:

- Sako S20 with stainless cerekote (2150) (1:11 twist)
- Bergara B-14 Wilderness Terrain (1600) (1:10 twist)
- Bergara B-14 wilderness HMR (1600) (1:10 twist)
- Bergara premiere HMR (2300) (1:10 twist)

I feel that I could be happy with the aforementioned guns in factory condition.

the question is: would you recommend the wilderness terrain over the wilderness HMR for my application and for the price is the S20 better than the Bergara b14 wilderness rifles and is the Bergara permiere better then all of them for the price?

I would prefer to stick with the Bergara B14 of the others aren’t that much better for my application, I just don’t know which one, and there aren’t any near by to check out.

Awaiting your recommendations and wisdom

mts6175

FNG
Been looking at both brands myself. Sako makes incredible rifles, but I have been hesitant to pull the trigger on the 300 Win Mag because of the 1:11 twist.

Southernhunters

Lil-Rokslider
Been looking at both brands myself. Sako makes incredible rifles, but I have been hesitant to pull the trigger on the 300 Win Mag because of the 1:11 twist.

School me on why....trying to learn as much about all of this as possible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It only matters if you are shooting anything heavier/longer than a 210 VLD. 208 ELD, 205 Elite Hunters, and 200.20x all stabilize in a 1:11. Even the 215 will be ok at high elevation.
Shooting up to 195 grain bullets, as the OP mentioned, won't be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
Agree w/ PathFinder, at your bullet weights a 1:11 or 1:10 twist should be fine.

I can only speak to the Bergara Premier line in that I really like my Approach in 300 PRC. They are heavy, but thats my only knock on them (helps w/ felt recoil tho). Fit and finish is great for a factory rifle, the TT trigger is very nice, and the Premier having a stainless barrel/action under the cerakote is something I was willing to pay up for.

IMO, see if you can find a store or two that has them in stock, handle them, and see which one feels best to you.

i was eyeballing the fin light in 300 mag until I saw the S20. I am waiting on some more user feedback but it seems really interesting. I think the twist and bullet weight issues are really only going to be an issue for a small segment of handloaders. Not an expert, but i Doubt I will want to load my 300 that heavy. If you really want or need something that hits that hard you could step up to a 338.

B23

WKR
Everything I've read about the SAKO S20 is they shoot crazy good right out of the box. I've never shot one but I did handle one at the counter awhile back and I was not expecting it to feel as good in the hands as it did. They maybe could take a little getting used to with regard to appearance but I was actually pretty impressed with the ergonomics of it and how well the stock felt.

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have both the HMR and premiere from Bergara. Both of them shoot better than most people are capable of. With reloaded ammo they are both sub 1/2 MOA guns. With factory ammo they shoot sub MOA with most rounds. I personally don't feel that the small upgrades on the premiere are worth the extra money. The HMR is great and you can always make upgrades from there.

Everything I've read about the SAKO S20 is they shoot crazy good right out of the box. I've never shot one but I did handle one at the counter awhile back and I was not expecting it to feel as good in the hands as it did. They maybe could take a little getting used to with regard to appearance but I was actually pretty impressed with the ergonomics of it and how well the stock felt.
I had the same impression. I fondled one very aggressively a while back. It felt impressive and the mini chassis is a plus. I wish the hunting version was a touch lighter.

Manakh

FNG
I hunt with the bergara wilderness b14 hmr

It is heavy but daaaaang it shoots soooooo freaking amazing!!!! Better then 99% of shooters can do.

The extra money on the wilderness is worth it over the standard b14 but the premier over the wilderness in my opinion is not worth it unless you just have money to spend.

Mine loves factory eld x with excellent nosler accubond performance as well. But eld x is bullet in bullet hole for me!!! Gun is a 1000 yard gun easy. I'm not a 1000 yard shooter though. Bears around here are usually 200-500 yards. No moose here but most the elk here during rifle are in thicker stuff and it's shorter range usually.

i was eyeballing the fin light in 300 mag until I saw the S20. I am waiting on some more user feedback but it seems really interesting. I think the twist and bullet weight issues are really only going to be an issue for a small segment of handloaders. Not an expert, but i Doubt I will want to load my 300 that heavy. If you really want or need something that hits that hard you could step up to a 338.

The popularity of 215s in 300 WM isn't really about needing a heavy bullet but the fact they have a high BC to minimize wind deflection and they run in a sweet spot for velocity that shoots relatively flat but not so fast that terminal performance is compromised.

You can push the lighter class bullets fast enough that they are more explosive than many desire if not using bonded/mono bullets.

The popularity of 215s in 300 WM isn't really about needing a heavy bullet but the fact they have a high BC to minimize wind deflection and they run in a sweet spot for velocity that shoots relatively flat but not so fast that terminal performance is compromised.

You can push the lighter class bullets fast enough that they are more explosive than many desire if not using bonded/mono bullets.
Honest question: I am a 400 yard max hunter and I shoot copper monos. How much of a consideration is that within 400 yards? What distances is that going to really matter and are you talking about shooting paper or critters at those distances?

Last edited:
If the wind is howling it makes a difference at 400 yards. Otherwise you’re probably right, not worth the recoil and velocity loss.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I have a bergara ridge and my buddy has the HMR.
Mine in 300 win mag and his in 300 prc.

both shot 1400 yards the first day . Second day 1 mile on both.
bergara are shooters , sako are shooters .
oick the one you like
After a year both rifles have about 1000 rounds and have mild throat wear but still shoot just fine .
mid you pm me I can try and dig up some targets and a few videos of the shoots .

Stalker69

WKR
I was looking at bergara, sake and tikka. I ended up with a tikka, I was told sako’s are hard to re barrel. And the action was so much tighter, smoother on the tikka.

Buy the bergara premier and never look back. They are pretty much a custom rifle made by vets in Georgia. They are amazing, in a completely different league than the bergara imports. My coyote rifle is a Bergara Premier Approach in 6mm creedmoor. Gun is AMAZING!!

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Canadian here. You could find a previously owned Sako Finnlight in like new condition in 300winmag or wsm for around $2000. I see them for sale all the time. They are accurate enough to 500 yards and beyond if you are.

I have one in 7mm-08. My next one will likely be in 30.06, 300wsm or rebarrelled to a .284 or 7saum.