Bergara vs Sako

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
Buy the bergara premier and never look back. They are pretty much a custom rifle made by vets in Georgia. They are amazing, in a completely different league than the bergara imports. My coyote rifle is a Bergara Premier Approach in 6mm creedmoor. Gun is AMAZING!!
I heard those are a pretty good step up from the regular line . I’ve never seen one in person though

Shaun2390

Lil-Rokslider
Hello,

I am looking to purchase a black bear and moose hunting gun that will be used for hunting inside 300 yards (as of now), however, I have some areas near by that I can practice shooting 500-600 yards so that I can train to be able to hunt to that greater distance.

calibre will be 300 win mag, and all loads will be factory (170-195grains). I am not too picky on weight as I’m used too carrying around a Lee-enfield .303 and I like weight to reduce recoil and stabilize the rifle while aiming. I will be using the gun at around 500 feet above sea level.

I am not a fan of Tikka Stocks, so to change out the stock will make the cost of a T3X (1700+850 not including bedding) the greater than a Sako S20 with cerekote.

*** all prices are in Canadian dollars ***

therefore I am between the following guns:

- Sako S20 with stainless cerekote (2150) (1:11 twist)
- Bergara B-14 Wilderness Terrain (1600) (1:10 twist)
- Bergara B-14 wilderness HMR (1600) (1:10 twist)
- Bergara premiere HMR (2300) (1:10 twist)

I feel that I could be happy with the aforementioned guns in factory condition.

the question is: would you recommend the wilderness terrain over the wilderness HMR for my application and for the price is the S20 better than the Bergara b14 wilderness rifles and is the Bergara permiere better then all of them for the price?

I would prefer to stick with the Bergara B14 of the others aren’t that much better for my application, I just don’t know which one, and there aren’t any near by to check out.

Awaiting your recommendations and wisdom
I bought a Bergara B14 Wilderness Terrain in .300 win mag. Great shooting gun. I had a quality control issue that I was lucky to catch at the range. Bergara had a run of barreled actions go through there factory were the barrels were not torqued to the action. I sent an email on a Saturday and had a response within 2 hrs. They paid shipping both ways with about a two weeks turn around. They also sent a 20% off credit for any firearm or product they sale. I have put around 100 rds through it since. I finally got a load worked up for it with 65gr of H4350 and 180gr Nosler partitions. Felt recoil with the factory muzzle brake is very tolerable around the same as my .270 win. I have a Vortex Strike eagle 6-24x50 scope on it and final weight is right at 12lbs.

I heard those are a pretty good step up from the regular line . I’ve never seen one in person though
They are the real deal. My action is so smooth I kept checking to see if it chambered a round when I first got it - I couldnt feel it pick up the round.

I have the bergara hmr standard, looking at getting a grayboe terrain stock for it to cut a couple pounds (my stock is 4.6 lbs and the grayboe without adjustable cheek piece is 2. Entire gun is 12.2 without my can). From what I gather theres not a ton of difference in the wilderness and standard b14 besides stock, cerakote, and the brake, I think the trigger action, and barrel are the same. May could snag a standard one for a decent price too....

Stalker69

WKR
Everything I've read about the SAKO S20 is they shoot crazy good right out of the box. I've never shot one but I did handle one at the counter awhile back and I was not expecting it to feel as good in the hands as it did. They maybe could take a little getting used to with regard to appearance but I was actually pretty impressed with the ergonomics of it and how well the stock felt.
Man some of the review videos on the s20 show them getting 7-8 inch groups (300 yards). And none that shoot an inch at 100. That turned me off right there.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Man some of the review videos on the s20 show them getting 7-8 inch groups (300 yards). And none that shoot an inch at 100. That turned me off right there.

You’re posting this all over. There might be one Sako that somehow was jacked and shoot that poorly- but probably not the rifle, the rest shoot very well. I’ve seen multiple S20’s and they all shot like a Sako.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You can’t really beat the out of box accuracy and proven reliabity of a Sako in my opinion. It’s basically a semi custom Tikka already customized for you. And the action size that matches the chambering on the 85s is really nice.

No experience with the S20 but I’ve owned a bunch of 75 and 85s. PM with any questions.

Stalker69

WKR
. Here’s one I will look for the others, how many you want ?

Jimss

WKR
I have a sako finnlite in 300 wsm. I use it for elk moose sheep goat antelope deer and bear. It hardly kicks and is nice for hauling up and down mtns. I only load 1 shell because I am that confident i will only need 1 shot!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Here’s one I will look for the others, how many you want ?

I don’t need videos as I’ve actually shot them. But I want to be clear- you really think the dude in the second video knows anything about rifles and is competent? The third video has “groups” at 300 yards ranging from .3 moa to 2 moa, with most at 1.0- 1.5 moa with hunting ammo. This is your “oh my god S 20’s don’t shoot”? Go buy one, put a good scope on it mounted correctly, get good ammo- it’ll shoot like all Sakos and Tikkas normally do.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
To be clear- is it possible that Sako has lost its mind, all the machinists and employees have forgotten how to assemble and build rifles, they started using rebar for barrels, and are lying about how the rifles shoot when tested before going out the door? Sure, anything’s possible.
But I’d take a wager that it’s more like any nimrod with crap optics, crappy scope mounting, ho hum ammo, and zero skill with shooting has a video camera and posts it on the internet for people to take as gospel to be a faaar more likely scenario.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
But I’d take a wager that it’s more like any nimrod with crap optics, crappy scope mounting, ho hum ammo, and zero skill with shooting has a video camera and posts it on the internet for people to take as gospel to be a faaar more likely scenario.
This right here for sure from what I saw in those videos…

That Australian guy clearly having issues with the wind and having a less than stellar shooting day. Blames the rifle and ammo. Goes out on a 2nd range day, with no wind and the same ammo, shoots two 5 shot groups under 1 MOA. How is this proving that the rifle doesn’t shoot? Lol.

Another video a guy goes out and shoots a 1.5” group at 300 yards and that’s supposed to be “showing us that sakos don’t shoot”? Wow.

Stalker69

WKR
To be clear- is it possible that Sako has lost its mind, all the machinists and employees have forgotten how to assemble and build rifles, they started using rebar for barrels, and are lying about how the rifles shoot when tested before going out the door? Sure, anything’s possible.

Hey I am in the market for a new rifle and I am in the process of watching videos to see which ones interest me. And am just posting what I have seen, nothing more nothing less. But most of the videos you watch they are trying to show you how good they shoot, these on the Sako are seemingly surprised they Dont shoot better. I don’t take it for gospel by any means, but it sounds as though you are a preacher, and every body should take your word as the “ gospel”. The Sako caught my eye because it comes with the precision or thumb hole stock, and until Dec. 31 you can get get the other one free. I am Looking for a lighter weight hunting rifle that’s accurate. And there are so many it’s mind boggling. Preach on, preacher man. And I don’t see any videos put out by Sako that actually show them testing the rifles, and showing the groups as they are doing them. They show the guy shooting and comment on good it did but don’t show you the target, if you have some videos that I should watch I am more then willing to watch, and how knows I may take them as “ gospel”.

Last edited:

twall13

WKR
Hey I am in the market for a new rifle and I am in the process of watching videos to see which ones interest me. And am just posting what I have seen, nothing more nothing less. But most of the videos you watch they are trying to show you how good they shoot, these on the Sako are seemingly surprised they Dont shoot better. I don’t take it for gospel by any means, but it sounds as though you are a preacher, and every body should take your word as the “ gospel”. The Sako caught my eye because it comes with the precision or thumb hole stock, and until Dec. 31 you can get get the other one free. I am Looking for a lighter weight hunting rifle that’s accurate. And there are so many it’s mind boggling. Preach on, preacher man. And I don’t see any videos put out by Sako that actually show them testing the rifles, and showing the groups as they are doing them. They show the guy shooting and comment on good it did but don’t show you the target, if you have some videos that I should watch I am more then willing to watch, and how knows I may take them as “ gospel”.
You don't have to search around on this forum very far to see that Formidilosus' opinion is very highly respected when it comes to shooting. Collect your research data where you want but I'd personally put more weight in his opinions than some Yahoo posting videos.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Stalker69

WKR
Guy comes on here spouting off, that his “ experience” is the only correct answer and any thing else you see is hear say, or bull shit, he’s not a preacher I am willing to listen to, nor take as gospel. Thank you much. He has not gained my respect by any means. He’s no different then any other of us yahoos posting here or else where. And at least videos ( some) have evidence to support their claims, rather then some “preacher “ telling you it’s his way or no way. I take nothing as gospel here nor any were.

Last edited:

Stalker69

WKR
So now you want me to take Sako using rebar as “ gospel” I suppose. Get off your high horse.

So now you want me to take Sako using rebar as “ gospel” I suppose. Get off your high horse.
Dude, you come on here, clearly expressing that you know basically nothing about rifles, accuracy, proper mounting, proper technique... and you have an exceptionally experienced guy reply to you with cold honest facts, and you come back they way you do; dude, un-bunch your panties, look at the actual facts. But hey, if your feeling is to hurt, non of us can help you.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Grin. “High horse”? I stated facts. For Sako’s to be shooting “8 inch groups” the barrels would have to be made from tomato stakes. They’re not. Every single Sako is shot for 5 rounds before leaving the factory and those 5 rounds must be 1” or less otherwise the gun is set aside and corrected. Tikka is the same except 3 shots. Does a rifle leave the factory every once and a while somehow producing that single 5 shot 1” group, but then doesn’t repeat it ever again- sure. Law of probability. Multiple Sako’s doing so… no. Highly unlikely.

I do not own an S20 or a Sako at all. But I have used enough of them (that would be a lot) to know that unless the company has been infiltrated by Kimber, the guns shoot. If you want to run around and say that some dudes with YouTube vids who clearly aren’t skilled shooters have stated that the S20’s don’t shoot, sweet. People that actually shoot Sako’s know differently.