Bergara Warranty/Customer Service

SDHNTR

WKR
Is there a chance it just didn’t like your particular choice in ammo? Did you try several? You can’t just feed a rifle one ammo flavor and say it has a problem if/when it won’t shoot that particular ammo well.

OP
General RE LEE
Is there a chance it just didn’t like your particular choice in ammo? Did you try several? You can’t just feed a rifle one ammo flavor and say it has a problem if/when it won’t shoot that particular ammo well.

There aren’t several options of 6.5 PRC ammo available and that is one of the objectives of handloading. You adjust powder charges and bullet seating depth to find an optimum accuracy node. Fliers in the rifle were consistent.

SDHNTR

WKR
There aren’t several options of 6.5 PRC ammo available and that is one of the objectives of handloading. You adjust powder charges and bullet seating depth to find an optimum accuracy node. Fliers in the rifle were consistent.
I understand availability is tough. But you still gotta go though the ammo selection process or shoot what’s available and accept it. You cannot just say the gun is inaccurate if you’ve only tried one type of ammo. The trial and error is not just a handloader program. Fliers can happen with some bullet and powders and not with others.

And BTW, AmmoSeek shows multiple offerings of various types of ammo now.

Last edited:
if you are reloading then that brings another possible cause of fliers. you can play with charge weights and seating depth all day, but if that rifle doesn't like the combo then it will not shoot it. period. that being said, the fouling issue is the barrel, and having scoped my barrel I can say they have poor QC. however, even some bad barrels still shoot well.
when they send it back, I'd get a bore scope and check the barrel. bore scopes are cheap, the ones that go to the phone for 50$ work fine, you do not need a hawkeye to see how bad a barrel is. from there you can hand lap or fire lap the barrel to help clean it up.
fliers can be caused by almost every aspect of shooting and reloading so do your best to eliminate what you can control. as far as tq specs, never assume that one # is the perfect tq. each screw takes a different # and each gun will react different to different values. sometimes you just have to play. hopefully they swap the barrel and you don't have to go through any of this.

SDHNTR

WKR
if you are reloading then that brings another possible cause of fliers. you can play with charge weights and seating depth all day, but if that rifle doesn't like the combo then it will not shoot it. period.
My point being, this is not an issue exclusive to reloaders. Not at all. The exact same principles apply to factory ammo. Which is why you need to try several different types of factory ammo too.

OP
General RE LEE
I understand availability is tough. But you still gotta go though the ammo selection process or shoot what’s available and accept it. You cannot just say the gun is inaccurate if you’ve only tried one type of ammo. The trial and error is not just a handloader program. Fliers can happen with some bullet and powders and not with others.

And BTW, AmmoSeek shows multiple offerings of various types of ammo now.

Meh...no. I've tried Hornady Match 147 ELD-M and Precision Hunter 143 ELD-X and ladder tested H1000 with the 143 ELD-X and Berger 156 EOL. Fliers were consistent. I know what I'm doing.

SDHNTR

WKR
Meh...no. I've tried Hornady Match 147 ELD-M and Precision Hunter 143 ELD-X and ladder tested H1000 with the 143 ELD-X and Berger 156 EOL. Fliers were consistent. I know what I'm doing.
Fair enough. Sounds like you have checked the boxes. I hope you find resolution.

I would call and try to talk to a service tech once it’s been delivered and stress the fact it’s copper fouling badly and try to get a fresh barrel at the very least.

It’s pretty common for OEM barrels to be rough, and it’s certainly a thing with Bergara. I would get some of the Tubbs final finish bullets and run them through it on a clean bore before firing any factory ammo. Factory barrels benefit hugely from them, I’ve used it on a bunch of rifles.

OP
General RE LEE
Update: I got an email this morning my rifle failed the accuracy test. They are "re-cutting" the chamber and testing it again this week. Fingers crossed.

thats good news other than the fact you had to go through this. seems it would be smarter to just screw on a new barrel to also address the fouling issue but hey, at least its a step in the right direction. will you get it back in time to test and use for the season?

OP
General RE LEE
thats good news other than the fact you had to go through this. seems it would be smarter to just screw on a new barrel to also address the fouling issue but hey, at least its a step in the right direction. will you get it back in time to test and use for the season?

I'm in Tennessee so our rifle season runs until first weekend in January. If it gets shipped back soon I should be good.

OP
General RE LEE
Update: got notification “re-cutting” the chamber fixed the accuracy issue and the assigned gunsmith working on the rifle will ship it back when he’s back from vacation. Looks like I’ll be taking it to the corn fields soon.

well, hopefully when you get it back it shoots as it should. after hearing their updates it seems to me that they have a really poor business model, a little surprising from a big multinational company. wasting time recutting a barrel rather than swapping which takes 30 min seems odd unless they have no faith in their own products. then fixing the problem but having only 1 guy handling the whole process also seems off. if the smith does his job, then it should get handed to shipping. a customer shouldn't wait for one guy to go on vacation, while your vacation is ruined. the last part doesn't pertain to you, but some people may only have that one rifle and base their vaca. on the hunting season. I wonder how much of what you're told is actually true.

OP
General RE LEE
well, hopefully when you get it back it shoots as it should. after hearing their updates it seems to me that they have a really poor business model, a little surprising from a big multinational company. wasting time recutting a barrel rather than swapping which takes 30 min seems odd unless they have no faith in their own products. then fixing the problem but having only 1 guy handling the whole process also seems off. if the smith does his job, then it should get handed to shipping. a customer shouldn't wait for one guy to go on vacation, while your vacation is ruined. the last part doesn't pertain to you, but some people may only have that one rifle and base their vaca. on the hunting season. I wonder how much of what you're told is actually true.

Yes one side of me is annoyed Bergara was like, “gunsmith working on your gun is on vacation for the holidays so he’ll finish it up when he gets back.” Another perspective is that one smith is familiar with the rifle and issue so it’s best he is the one that completes the job.

As far as swapping the barrel, I’m wondering if they are stocking replacement barrels or just committing barrels to assembled rifles. It could be the leadership at BPI has figured it’s better business to just make fully assembled guns vs having a bunch of barrels stocked up.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t speak on that exact model but I do have a B-14 and I would put it up against my custom rifles . Sounds like you have a lemon.
They make excellent rifles though. Hope they get things sorted out for you

OP
General RE LEE
I can’t speak on that exact model but I do have a B-14 and I would put it up against my custom rifles . Sounds like you have a lemon.
They make excellent rifles though. Hope they get things sorted out for you

It’s an HMR Wilderness in 6.5 PRC. I shot a B14 at the range the other day in 6.5 Creedmoor and shot a 0.4” group so I know they can be shooters.

LongCut

FNG
I have a premier approach in 6.5PRC. I love that gun. It's almost a shame that I am the one shooting it and not someone better, because I's love to see what this thing is actually capable of......

My only "complaint" thus far was that I started noticing a clunking sound when setting it down of the recoil pad after about 40 rds. Turns out both actions screws were loose, and had backed out more than one full revolution each. Bergara said "It's common, just torque them back down".

I have never had this issue, especially with a brand new rifle that was almost $2K, let alone some of the cheapies I have bought.

OP
General RE LEE
I have a premier approach in 6.5PRC. I love that gun. It's almost a shame that I am the one shooting it and not someone better, because I's love to see what this thing is actually capable of......

My only "complaint" thus far was that I started noticing a clunking sound when setting it down of the recoil pad after about 40 rds. Turns out both actions screws were loose, and had backed out more than one full revolution each. Bergara said "It's common, just torque them back down".

I have never had this issue, especially with a brand new rifle that was almost $2K, let alone some of the cheapies I have bought.

To be fair, you can’t expect a rifle to be free of requiring maintenance, regardless of price. Actions screws can work loose on any rifle.

I own a $3K Gibson Les Paul and the cable jack went bad. That’s a wear and tear item that is part of owning a guitar.

A little loctite and you are good to go. I have an approach in 6mm CM. It does this all day with factory ammo. Here is a group I shot at 500 yards with factory 108’s. One of my favorite guns.

2AB66FC4-804E-4EEE-9EDB-220AFFF893A3.jpeg