Berger .308 168 gr vld hunting - out of tikka t3x 30-06?

Anyone shooting these? I have a line on four boxes but I’d like to hear if anyone is getting good performance out of a tikka t3x with 1/11 barrel twist.

Bump*

I'm curious what others thoughts are on these as well. I'm considering using the 175gr or 185gr VLD for my 300 winmag. I've heard they're only super effective at ranges of 300 yards or more. Anything under that and the J4 jacket doesn't expand like it's intended.

OP
EastHumboldt
In the reloading forum someone else commented that they fragment pretty badly at shorter ranges inside 300 resluting in a slower kill and some trailing. I have never taken a shot over 300 so I'm gonna pass on these.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Bump*

I'm curious what others thoughts are on these as well. I'm considering using the 175gr or 185gr VLD for my 300 winmag. I've heard they're only super effective at ranges of 300 yards or more. Anything under that and the J4 jacket doesn't expand like it's intended.

That’s not at all how they work. At high impact speeds they will penetrate 2-3 inches and then fragment violently for 10-12 inches. At low impact velocities the will penetrate 4-6 inches and then start upsetting.

In the reloading forum someone else commented that they fragment pretty badly at shorter ranges inside 300 resluting in a slower kill and some trailing. I have never taken a shot over 300 so I'm gonna pass on these.

They fragment at most impact velocities above 2,000fps. However them fragmenting violently at close range does not make them kill slower, quite the opposite.

OP
EastHumboldt
That’s not at all how they work. At high impact speeds they will penetrate 2-3 inches and then fragment violently for 10-12 inches. At low impact velocities the will penetrate 4-6 inches and then start upsetting.

They fragment at most impact velocities above 2,000fps. However them fragmenting violently at close range does not make them kill slower, quite the opposite.
I’m aware of your very respected status on this forum, so thanks for that advice. In your opinion then, these are a very good DRT bullet? Any direct experience or hearsay about accuracy performance out of tikka t3x? Also if my gun doesnt like ‘em do you think I’d be able to flip em here? I’m not lookin to make any money... just don’t wanna get stuck with something.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m aware of your very respected status on this forum, so thanks for that advice. In your opinion then, these are a very good DRT bullet? Any direct experience or hearsay about accuracy performance out of tikka t3x? Also if my gun doesnt like ‘em do you think I’d be able to flip em here? I’m not lookin to make any money... just don’t wanna get stuck with something.

Berger VLD’s are some of the best bullets for DRT’s, though no bullet can give guaranteed drops at impact unless the CNS is hit. Berger VLD and Hornady ELD-M 168gr or 178gr for max tissue disruption. Should have no issue with them shooting in a T3- have done so with many, and yes they will sell quick.

100% pleased with the 190s out of my T3X in 300 WM. Crazy accurate and a proven killer on game up to grizzly.

OP
EastHumboldt
Bummer... I went back and tried to buy them but the guy won't ship cuz he's had trouble with UPS and Fedex. Dang.

sdcowboy

Lil-Rokslider
In mine to seat .010 off lands they are way to long for the magazine. I ended up going with the 168 hybrid and they shoot great and fit in my mag.