Berger Elite Hunters

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everybody,

I'm looking to see of any experience out there with the newer Berger Elite Hunters. I have a Christensen Ridgeline in 7RM and looking at trying the 175s. I currently run the 162 ELD-X, but have not quite been able to squeeze all of the accuracy I was hoping for out of it, despite its excellent terminal performance in my experience. I have a few high quality elk and deer tags so far this year and not leaving shit to chance. Any experience, thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated, especially in regards to seating depth and overall accuracy you were able to achieve out of your respective setup. Much appreciated!!
-Jim

FURMAN

WKR
No experience with Elite Hunters but hybrids work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I pretty much run the berger Classic hunters in the 30 cal as well as the hybrid and the hunter vld in 6.5 cal and have nothing but good to say about them. The game animals, however, hate them.:cool:
Give them a try.....it's worth a shot. You'll get varying opinions on their performance but I personally have never had an issue with all the animals that I have shot.

Randy

Sorry no experience here with them either but I'm running the 180 Hybrids with great success. 1/4-1/2 moa. I'll post a video later of me shooting them at 715 yards this weekend. I've taken 3 deer, 1 elk and 1 antelope with them out to 610 yards last season. All one shot kill DRT. I am curious though what kind of success you get with these!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a short video of me shooting my 7mm LRM at 715 this weekend. I set up my target right before going bear hunting to confirm my dope. I had a 4 mph cross wind when I set up the target and a 5mph cross wind from my shooting location. I was shooting across a draw and didn't realize the wind had picked up through the draw. Watch the dust from my first shot. Turns out it was a 14mph wind!

7LRM Long Range Shooting - YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bates

WKR
Jim,

I have some of the 175's due tomorrow. Cant wait to get out and shoot them.

I expect them to run like the previous hybrids i have shot, i will run them 20 to 30 thou off and let them eat.

if you want me to mail you a handful to see how they will work with your reamer let me know, i will report back after hitting the range

OP
CareyJAF50

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
Jim,

I have some of the 175's due tomorrow. Cant wait to get out and shoot them.

I expect them to run like the previous hybrids i have shot, i will run them 20 to 30 thou off and let them eat.

if you want me to mail you a handful to see how they will work with your reamer let me know, i will report back after hitting the range

Awesome, I'm just going to suck it up and order 100 today. I really appreciate that offer though man! Definitely let me know how they are running for you and anything you notice with them in your rig.

OP
CareyJAF50

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
I pretty much run the berger Classic hunters in the 30 cal as well as the hybrid and the hunter vld in 6.5 cal and have nothing but good to say about them. The game animals, however, hate them.:cool:
Give them a try.....it's worth a shot. You'll get varying opinions on their performance but I personally have never had an issue with all the animals that I have shot.

Randy

Thanks Randy! I gonna order some today and give them a run. I was also looking at the 180 hunting VLD as well, so so ill probably just snag both and hope one shakes out well.

I got a box of the 175 EH's to play with as well. Got 20 loaded up over some H1000 that I will send down range this weekend. I'm hoping they shoot as well as the classic hunters do.

bates

WKR
I have some of the 7mm 175's all loaded up but haven't had a chance to get out to the range early and shoot.

i can say that the OAL on a loaded 175 is longer than a 180g

Got a chance to break in a new rifle today with some 7mm 175gr EHs, and get an idea of how they might shoot. The load I used was pretty light- 65gr H1000. The 3 shots I sent over the magnetospeed averaged 2742fps. I loaded these bullets at .020" off the rifling. I also tried to follow the break in process listed in the rifle manual. I cleaned after each shot for 10 shots, then after every 3 shots until I ran out of cartridges. I am about halfway through break in at this point. I am pleased with my first groups at 100 yards and feel there is some pretty good potential with these bullets. I will continue some load development once break in is over and see if the accuracy holds up at distance.

First three 3 shot groups at 100 yards from this rifle:

Anyone been getting anywhere with load-workup for these bullets? I've got about 80 pieces of once fired brass now and will be starting development of a load over the next few weeks. So far, I am getting pretty good accuracy in my Ridgeline, so I think I'll be sticking with these bullets in this gun. I am curious what powders other guys are using and general range results?