Berger Hybrid Hunter

I just tried out 20 rounds in my T3X SuperLite in 6.5 creedmoor (135gr). Honestly it shot great for me so far. Used a few rounds to zero, then shot a 10 shot group at barely over an inch. I’d definitely want to use it a bit more at distance, and since it’s middle of the season I’m sticking with the HSM 130 and 140 Berger ammo. But after season I’m going to test it a bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. Rx

Lil-Rokslider
Same here.. anymore thoughts on those federal hybrids in actual hunting scenarios please do share

Kris

OneRingTrTa

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt deer with 168 amax loaded at mag length and they do great! I would only worry about using the bonded bullets on big game. Never used Berger but hear good things!

mike464

FNG
I've been shooting the 135 gr Hybrid Hunters in a 6.5 Cr Cooper Excalibur, they shoot 1 hole at 100. No game yet on them.

Bringing this back up... I’ve got 120 rounds of this stuff to test out to see how my rifles like it. One thing I’ve noticed with the first box I shot, is that some of these rounds are really tough to close the bolt on in my T3Xs (2 rifles). A couple were just not going to close at all...I just gave up and shot them in a Savage.

Anyone else seen this with these, or any other rounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NiteHawk

FNG
Awesome bullets for mid sized game. Last year I harvested an OR black bear, UT Mule Deer, and OR Blacktail all with 140gr Berger Hunter Hybrids through my .270 caliber Tikka T3. All animals dropped upon impact. The mule deer was 300yds, blacktail was 75 yds, and the bear was 100yds.

The bear wasn't huge (maybe 200lbs) and it didn't stand a chance against the high lung shot.

I get sub-MOA groups out to 300yds but haven't tried shooting past that yet. No chambering problems here.

I used 185g in Federal factory load in a 300 WSM to take a bull elk at 350 yds last October. One shot, perfectly broadside, hit him right in the crease behind the shoulder. He was down before I could recover from the recoil. Bullet exited and only went through ribs coming-and-going.
Accuracy is good in my Tikka; less than 2 inch groups at 300 yards....
I use the gutless method, so no visual on lung damage but there was a lot of sloshing in that chest cavity.

20 belw

FNG
Took an Ibex at 300 yds, 300 wsm, shot quartering to me. Drove the bullet diagonally through to the off side hip. Recovery less than 50 yds. They shot sub moa out to 500 for me.

WCB

WKR
Best accuracy bullet I have ever shot out of my 6.5 CRD. Buddy shot an antelope with it at 350 yards and I shot one the same day twice once at 300 the other right around 400.

Buddy hit his quartering to us right in front of the shoulder hit nothing but a rib going in exited between last two ribs on far side. Exit hole was dime sized decent damage inside. goat ran 150 yards stopped and fell over.

Hit mine almost identical hit rib going in exploded no exit no damage to far side of goats body on the inside. Found tiny fragments everywhere in the gut pile. Goat ran about 100 yards yards up the other side of a draw. Shot it at the base of the neck facing straight away from us when it stopped. Broke spine exited out the lower throat area...exit about the size of a quarter.

Personally in the 6.5 or similar for deer sized game or larger I prefer an Accu Bond or tougher bullet.

I’ve shot 2 deer with it in .308. The first was a black tail at maybe 50 yards. He took 10 steps and died. Shot was a frontal and decimated a third of his heart with a small exit wound near the right hip. Massive bleeding. Second was a decent sized mule deer that I shot up hill at 100 yards broadside through some brush. By the time I’d jacked another round he went down. Maybe 10 yards. That bullet decimated his lungs, hit his liver and left a quarter sized exit on the other side. Loads of blood and a quick death. My only problem with these rounds is availability. Love them otherwise.