Berger Hybrids Hunter-Anybody have experience shooting Berger Hybrid Hunter for elk.

Super tag

WKR
I’ll clarify my experience. I shot an elk at 500 ish yards with the 180gr Hybrid and it went straight through the front shoulder, all vitals, opposite side rib and stoppe in the hide just before clean pass through. 60% of the projectile was intact with a nice mushroom. Couldn’t ask for better performance. I’ve got it somewhere if I find it I’ll post an image.

I have a 300 Win Mag and am looking for a good bullet (180-200 gr) to go elk hunting. Probably won't shoot beyond 350 yrds.
Good question OP. Despite the title mentioning a specific bullet, you ask for a good bullet to go elk hunting and won't shoot past 350 yards. In my experience with bullets of similar design to what the title specifies, a bullet designed for more controlled expansion at your defined range gives leeway for all shots you may encounter with respect to reaching the vitals from harder angles and reducing wanton waste of edible animal tissue when impacting heavier animal anatomical structure.
Yes that was broadside at 550.

Unlike most I rarely get a pass through with bergers except for the deer I've shot with the 230s. Shot deer with 6, 6.5 and 7mm bergers from 100-450 and never a pass through but massive internal damage and usually a fragmented jacket like pictured above.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Thank you for the response to my query as to the shot angle with the Berger bullet as being broadside, and the information that you typically don't get a pass through and recover fragmented jackets.

Super tag, as said in post #48, thank you in post #45 for answering my question from post #44 in regards to your post #40. Wanted to acknowledge it again. Appreciate post #61 describing long range performance of the Berger bullet 150 yds beyond the OP's stated range. Not being argumentative, as has been said in this thread before by others, however theorizing how much bearing that has to the OP. However I look at that is sharing information within a thread, no reason to get into a urinary Olympiad, and appreciate you taking that level of maturity as well.

Multiple people, in multiple threads have answered you on the quartering/bone shots with Bergers and match bullets. Why is it that you continue to argue a stance for which you zero experience? Not being argumentative- legitimately asking.

You continually state that these bullets won’t go through bone, or insinuate that they won’t, when others have repeatedly said and show that they do. Your stance is factually not correct. Moreover, the reason that some would choose heavy fragmenting match bullets for closer range shots is because they kill better: that is, they kill faster. Again, you have no experience to say one way or the other, yet you do. Why?
I ask, not argue, for clarification as to the shot presentation that was taken when it is not stated. I also thank people for their input.

Never stated they will not go through bone, please show me where I have. I have seen that type of bullet not make it into the vitals decisively on rear and front quartering shots on elk within the range the OP asked about. The animals were wounded and sick but they were very much alive as they stood there. That does not mean the bullet did not get through bone, but the performance once it did left things to be desired. That is not insinuation, that is observation.

I don't need experience with a match type bullet used on big game to know they are no more than on par with traditional cup and core bullets that have been around for 100 years that I have seen the results of in the field.

As far as facts: I don't care whether the game falls to the ground in 0 yards 5 yards 10 yards or 20 yards. The bullet reaching the vitals is the only fact that matters. An impressive visual display of destruction or the animal dropping at the shot vs traveling a short distance is not the primary requirement for most. Most hunters want to have the most advantage in their favor for the presentation of shots they will encounter, again the OP is looking at 350 yards . More frangible cup and core bullets leave some of that capability on the table based on my experience.

Thanks for the info on the range you are shooting. Longer distance is a good equalizer where higher bc is important and bullet speed is lower for more consistent performance on varying shot presentations.

See above, I have stated that long range is an equalizer with respect to frangible cup and core bullets, they operate well within a certain range of velocity.

Back to the OP and his quest for a bullet to be used under 350 yards for elk. I stand by my recommendation to go with a controlled expansion or mono bullet as my experience shows more versatility under more conditions based on experience.

Last edited: