Berger Long Rang Hybrid 220gr

tdhanses

WKR
This bullet is really looking great on paper, I was set on going the 215 route but now I’ll be testing these out as well. Only downside is my 300wsm is 3 months out from being worked in the backlog.

I ordered some of the 220‘s so should have them on Saturday according to tracking. Also based on the Berger twist rate stabilization calculator the 220 stabilizes easier then the 215 in a 1:10 twist barrel.

Anyone shot these yet or planning to?

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Says it’s new, think they released it towards the end of 2019.

Broz

WKR
Careful. We are testing but these are pointed bullets. They are pretty much a 215 with a little lead added forward to increase SG and stability. Then they are pointed. Berger asked me to do some testing, and I will but there is reason for some caution as far as if they will expand or not consistently.

I’m interested, I have 215s waiting on the new rifle but especially if these stabilize easier and have a better BC I’m interested to see what they can do.

did not realize from the site picture that they are pointed.. hmm not confidence instilling

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Yeah I didn’t realize they were pointed either. Let us know what you find Jeff.

Careful. We are testing but these are pointed bullets. They are pretty much a 215 with a little lead added forward to increase SG and stability. Then they are pointed. Berger asked me to do some testing, and I will but there is reason for some caution as far as if they will expand or not consistently.

I really respect the way you tell it like it is Broz.

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
From the bullet specs, I'm seeing that the bearing surface is quite a bit longer than the 215 including a shorter boat tail. With an additional 5 grains of weight and the extra bearing surface, I'll bet one gives up 50-75fps of velocity and any performance gain from the slightly higher b/c is lost. The only possible advantage I see (on paper) is the promise of lower b/c extreme spread. Will be interesting to see the real world testing.

Broz

WKR
The design change in ALL the new line (long Range Hybrid Target) (LRHT) is the forward addition of lead to move the SG forward for stability and consistency and the pointed hollow point tips.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
How much difference in nose cavity depth is there between the two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe Broz has this, I don’t have anything readily available to measure but I’ll look in the shop later.

Broz

WKR
Maybe Broz has this, I don’t have anything readily available to measure but I’ll look in the shop later.
Sorry guys, I handled them and they were part of the discussion in a meeting with Berger at Shot, But I actually have not measured this yet. The 215 is .400" and I know we will loose a bit, but I am hoping not much. The 7mm / 195's are .300" and I didn't feel they worked well on elk. But then no 7mm does compared to a 30.

EDIT to add: I do have some coming and we will be testing for terminal performance as well as our usual testing.

Last edited:
OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
I’ll try to get this measurement done but the hole is about 30% smaller in the 220.

Edit, not as much smaller as it looks to the eye, not 30% smaller at all.

Last edited:

Broz

WKR
I’ll try to get this measurement done but the hole is about 30% smaller in the 220.
I use a .027" drill to check the 215's to be open. If you have a set of wire drills it would be cool to know what the 220 actually is on Diameter as well as depth. I will check and see where mine are too when I get them. Thanks

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
I use a .027" drill to check the 215's to be open. If you have a set of wire drills it would be cool to know what the 220 actually is on Diameter as well as depth. I will check and see where mine are too when I get them. Thanks

I don’t think I have any but could pick some up tonight.

Its my understanding that the bergers are designed to have the nose cavity collapse upon entry and that then grenades the core hence you typically get good initial penetration with massive wound channels after that.

With the "tipped" factor, first inclination is it won't affect the nose collapsing and core grenading but with some added lead up front I assume the nose cavity is smaller, definitely changes the way things will react. Until someone gets some on target it's anybody's guess.

Mike

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Its my understanding that the bergers are designed to have the nose cavity collapse upon entry and that then grenades the core hence you typically get good initial penetration with massive wound channels after that.

With the "tipped" factor, first inclination is it won't affect the nose collapsing and core grenading but with some added lead up front I assume the nose cavity is smaller, definitely changes the way things will react. Until someone gets some on target it's anybody's guess.

Mike

I would think at minimum the tips would ALL have to be drilled out as big as possible without altering external dimensions. I think that's the only way it has any chance of working similar to other Bergers. I guess we'll see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk