Bernhardt E-Bike Order -- 3367

Beat me to it. I just heard this reported on NPR.

Up next - opening up wilderness areas to ATV's I'm sure.

Uncertainty about the regulatory status of e-bikes has led the Federal land management agencies to impose restrictive access policies treating e-bikes as motor vehicles

There is no uncertainty. The vehicle has a motor, therefore it's a motorized vehicle. Bicycles don't have a motor, therefore they are a non-motorized vehicle. Duh.

The timing of this couldn't be any worse. I wonder how many guys and gals are in the mountains this very moment, and left their e-bikes at home.

Last edited:

brsnow

WKR
America gets fat and lazier each day.I carry extra supplies and first aid to help fellow bikers and hikers. I will let the e-bikers fend for themselves.

That's just it. I find this order a slap in the face to all of us who work our a**es off year-round to stay in shape. Now, our reward will be to hike 3 miles in and get passed by some slob on an e-bike. For years, the most effective way to hunt NF around here was to ride a mountain bike in on one of the closed roads. It was literally the only way you could get away from the hordes of hunters. A whole group of guys and gals rigged up old mountain bikes - some with trailers - to take advantage of these closed FS roads. So much for that. Now anyone with a credit card can go further and faster than we could.

I'm not opposed to e-bikes at all, where they belong - on motorized trails along with other motorized vehicles. I've been looking at them as an option for years.

Now how crowded are the wilderness areas going to be? SMH

I won't be the least bit surprised if this admin. goes after our wilderness areas next.

Most of the wilderness areas I hunt don't even allow bikes, and so the e bikes aren't allowed either. Are the old closed roads the only place they're really allowed?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Most of the wilderness areas I hunt don't even allow bikes, and so the e bikes aren't allowed either. Are the old closed roads the only place they're really allowed?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
No, there are thousands of miles of FS trails that allow mountain bikes at present, and these motorized vehicles will be allowed there soon if the FS doesn't fight this. I can't imagine they will (successfully), so get ready.

Let your congressmen/women know how you feel about this. Just another example of the softening of America.

akenkel

FNG
Does anyone know a good resource such as a list of wilderness areas that allow either bicycles or e-bikes?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Wilderness areas don’t allow bikes or other wheeled things as far as I know.
There are a few exceptions that were grandfathered in, most specifically motorcycle trails.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Does anyone know a good resource such as a list of wilderness areas that allow either bicycles or e-bikes?

wilderness does not allow any mechanical means of overland transportation. otherworks bicycles are not allowed in any congressionally designated wilderness.

sneaky

"DADDY"
wilderness does not allow any mechanical means of overland transportation. otherworks bicycles are not allowed in any congressionally designated wilderness.
There's exceptions to that rule, here in Idaho I know of a couple of wilderness areas with motorcycle trails through them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk